Favorite "beater" or hard use knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: Favorite "beater" or hard use knife?

Post by swigert »

SE Pacific Salt for me. I've never sharpened it and it keeps going and going and going.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I forgot to include my FRN Native on my list. I don't beat on mine, or carry it much anymore mainly due to sentimental reasons (Being my first Spyderco, and the memories it brought me for 7-ish years before I went truly Spyderco crazy), but it has seen an awful lot of use and abuse, and it is still in pretty decent shape.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

My first Millie, black blade and camo scales.

Learned to use the Sharpmaker on that blade...took five hours on the diamonds to finally *almost* even out the grind on either side...we've been bonded since then.

Fantastic TOOTHY edge and a nice, sharp, easy to maintain microbevel. She's my cardboard push cutting machine, while also carving drywall, cutting rubber hoses, meat...whatever I ask. Dropped it and broke the very tip recently, fixed that up.

Two days ago, I awarded her hard service with a bright shiny pair of leftover gray cruwear scales...blade is getting all scratched up, but this one I will never get rid of.
Matt
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Pacific Salt SE and PE. They sharpen up easily and come back for more...
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pac Salt Serrated for me as well. No better beater folder IMO.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Right now Tenacious plain edge. Sharp, great cutter & easy to touch up on the SM. I will let you know that I do have a Byrd Raven 2 on order that is next in the lineup for a hard use knife, the anticipation is hurting me. :eek:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The lightweight S110V Manix 2 has become my new beater knife. Here's after a typical few hours of yard work:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NotWellKnown

Post by NotWellKnown »

My favorite beater knife is also quickly becoming my favorite knife in general. Previously, it was probably my se Tenacious or an old, slightly damaged Buck 110 I got for $10. Now, its definitely my se Pacific Salt. I don't know how I went so long without it. It cuts through everything and doesn't slow down. I put it through more cardboard than any knife should reasonably cut in a day, and have even cut into a few pieces of metal shelving doing this.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If I'm going to do a lot of limb cutting from bushes, my yellow Pacific Salt SE, D'Allara Rescue or SE Tenacious.

For general use around the house and yard, my first spydie, a CE Manix2 S30V or more frequently now my CE green Tenacious. The serrated section grabs into thorny vines for easy one-handed pull cutting and is great for stripping wire insulation when I don't happen to have a stripper on me.

Sometimes my Cruwear Millie, like once when I had to lie on my belly and reach into a two a half foot deep hole and cut several rounds of buried 3/4 inch rubber garden hose out of the way to replace a water valve :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

quite a few that are hard workers..
folders: PM2, Gayle Bradley, Manix S110V, Strider SnG/SMF, Delica, Native 5 ltw.
fixed: Hillknives KCT, Spyderco Streat Beat, Fallkniven F1, Survive! GSO 3.5, Mora in carbon steel, good carbon steel choppers like Condor.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Until recently, I only had two Spyderco knives; the Endura and Delica I bought 25 years ago. The Endura saw a lot of carry and abuse from cutting carpet to hay string. We unroll our hay and have to cut the strings or netting which is hard on a knife. Not because the string or netting is tough. It's because the hay is coarse and has sand in it which is murder on edges.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I forgot to include my FRN Native on my list. I don't beat on mine, or carry it much anymore mainly due to sentimental reasons (Being my first Spyderco, and the memories it brought me for 7-ish years before I went truly Spyderco crazy), but it has seen an awful lot of use and abuse, and it is still in pretty decent shape.

How do you do that knot on the lanyard?
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It's called a diamond knot and isn't too difficult to tie. I like having a lanyard on some of my Spydies but don't like it on others. I also prefer my lanyards to be a simple and functional as possible on my hard use knives because the cord gets dirty and potentially chewed up and will need to be replaced.

http://www.paracordguild.com/how-to-mak ... yard-knot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Shockingly, green PM2. Probably because that is the only knife I have exact duplicate of. Hate to see what I would do to a Tuff if I had a double (which I may need to do)
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

The Native Lightweight really does it for me. Cheap and gets the job done.
I would really like to get a Gayle Bradley 2 and just have a blast.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I forgot to include my FRN Native on my list. I don't beat on mine, or carry it much anymore mainly due to sentimental reasons (Being my first Spyderco, and the memories it brought me for 7-ish years before I went truly Spyderco crazy), but it has seen an awful lot of use and abuse, and it is still in pretty decent shape.

That photo is just simply "mind-blowing" 3rdGenRigger :) The reason being is that it looks almost like a ditto and/or carbon copy of my 440V, SE Native. Even the paint wear on the pocket clip is virtually indentical :eek: The NATIVE model is truly a "pitbull" of a folder.

Another obvious trend on this thread is that a huge percentage of what you all deem as "Beaters" or "hard use" knives are GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made Spyders ;) I don't know what it is that has always drawn me to use the Native and Military models over the years as "beaters" but there is something special about the construction of the GOLDEN, CO USA made Spyders.

Not at all casting dispersions against the Japan made Spyders that I very respectfully adore but there is just something about the Spyders made at GOLDEN that have a toughness to them. And next to them I would have to go with Brother SURF with the H-1 Salt Series. Spyderco and toughness are truly synonymous terms IMO.

And again that 440V blade steel is one of the better blade steels they used for Spyderedged models as well as ATS-55 and AUS-8. And I'm finding that Spyderedged models tend to get used as "beaters" or hard use blades.
mrbushido

Post by mrbushido »

My gayle bradley folder