HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by Doc Dan »

While I was a bit disappointed in the mid-year catalog offerings (I was hoping for blue G10 Delica and the Lil Temperance), the new HAP40 Delica and Enduras have made up for it, in my mind. From what I gather, HAP40 is a lot like M4, but is a Japanese steel. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that account, but I believe that to be correct. It is a steel I know nothing about other than that.
Sal wrote:
"The plan is to run the entire family; Endura-Stretch-Delica-Dragonfly-Ladybug-Manbug. Color has been approved. Steel has been tested and approved. Added to schedule, and now we wait for them to be produced. 1200 pcs each.

sal"

So, more money gone, but a happy buyer :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
HarleyXJGuy

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Good enough reason for me to finally replace my AUS 8 Endura. Probably got my monies worth out of the first one lol.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Doc Dan wrote: Sal wrote:
"The plan is to run the entire family; Endura-Stretch-Delica-Dragonfly-Ladybug-Manbug.
You know, I totally forgot about this. I was going to go with a Delica, but I may wait till the Dragonfly comes out. I don't have one yet, so this would be a good opportunity to cross that one off my list. I wonder how long till that happens, and if I can restrain myself that long.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You really need to get a DF. Next to my Delica it is my most commonly carried knife. Don't let the size fool you. It handles and cuts like a bigger knife. I have the G10 and FRN models. I love the G10! The FRN models are so light weight that you will find yourself checking to see if they are still in your pocket. I take the clips off of mine and drop them in my pocket where they disappear.

Still, I love the Delica and if I cannot have my blue G10 the HAP40 will tide me over till they get the steel situation sorted out with the blue G10 model.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
swigert

Post by swigert »

I don't currently have an endura in the stable. It will be first then the Delica.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Will these be distributed through retailers?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I only have a saber ground Kahr Arms Delica 4, So I'm likely going to take this oppurtunity to get a FFG (full size) Delica 4! Still trying to convince myself that I want the Endura as well haha!
-Nick :bug-red
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

They are also the Lightweight version, which is something I wanted after the SB Sprint. I like liners, but with low corrosion-resistance steels I am not fond of cleaning out nested and milled liners.

Just from looking at composition, HAP40 is similar to M4 in many respects with the exception that HAP40 has ~8% Cobalt. I'm sure someone who knows more can explain any theoretical/practical differences.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

From Zknives:
"Cobalt (Co) - Increases hardness, also allows for higher quenching temperatures (during the heat treatment procedure). Intensifies the individual effects of other elements in more complex steels. Co is not a carbide former, however adding Cobalt to the alloy allows for higher attainable hardness and higher red hot hardness."

I am by no means a steel expert, but it appears to me, perhaps similar to M4, but a little better in that it can be made much, much harder. I assume one reason for using this steel is that the knives are made in Japan so the steel is Japanese, as well, whereas M4 is not.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This one is pretty big on my want list. Assuming I''m OK with the burnt orange FRN, I would like to have the Endura and Delica, but am having trouble deciding which to get first, in case I wind up with only one. I wish Spyderco made a Delicura or maybe an Endelica ;) (Or they could throw in an R model of course :o ) I've been carrying a Delica and an Endura all week trying to decide. I like the proportions of the Delica better but like to carry knives a bit bigger. But I find myself actually using the Delica more than the Endura when I carry both. IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) the Enduras come out first in these runs, so that'll probably be the one I buy first :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I've given away a few vg-10 Delicas to deserving people. I believe I would actually place a preorder for a HAP40 Delica and D'Fly if given the chance.

Charlie
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Able Dog wrote:They are also the Lightweight version, which is something I wanted after the SB Sprint. I like liners, but with low corrosion-resistance steels I am not fond of cleaning out nested and milled liners.
I could be wrong but I think all Delica 4s are classed as lightweight. I'm pretty sure that these have liners.

I'm looking forward to this one either way but am a little disappointed about the laminate blade. My Superblue is scratched up worse than any of my VG10 or 154cm blades. I'd rather have a bit of surface corrosion than scratched soft steel. Just my 2 pennies...
losinground

Post by losinground »

just pre-ordered the delica.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Got my pre-order for a Endura, the photos on Knife Center make the orange much more subdued.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I've come to my decision. I'm going to wait for the Dragonfly. Then, I will sit and wait "patiently" with you Dan for the blue G10 Delica. Self control is the name of the game. Noooo big deal. Just don't even think about it. Yup, I got this.

...um, so any idea when the Dragonfly is coming?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Anyone know if this will come out in a Caly platform?
Niles

Post by Niles »

Nice. Pre-ordered!
BTG

Post by BTG »

Pre-ordered the Delica & Endura...will get the Stretch & Manbug when they make them available also...I try to collect all options available with those models...no ladybugs or Dragonfly's.....yet.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Highly anticipating a Delica and Dragonfly!

What ever happened to the "official" thread on these, lol
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Skidoosh wrote:Anyone know if this will come out in a Caly platform?
It's coming out in the whole "FRN series" -- Endura, Stretch, Delica, Dragonfly, Manbug, and Ladybug. The Caly is made by a different Japanese manufacturer, and I'm pretty sure there's been no mention of it coming out with Hap40, at least not by anybody except us dreamers :)

Edit, typos: streatch is not too much of a stretch, but Dragonfry? Haha... you supplies I speak your rangridge? :D
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.