HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jimmyjohnjohn

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I was looking at HAP40's composition last night. It has a ridiculous amount of cobalt, around 8-9%, iirc. Doing further research, it looks like it's a particular type of high speed steel, type 42.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_steel#Types" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing worthy to note is that it's relatively more resistant to chipping.

Edited to add: HAP40 has more tungsten than standard type 42, which should mean that HAP40 has relatively more wear resistance.
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Image After reading reports of unbelievably sharp Hap40 Enduras, I was surprised to find mine struggling with paper out of the box. After a quick tune up it was having no problem though. Also, my copy came with a very crooked laminate line on the one side that slants all the way down to the edge of the blade.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hey ScottG how is the lock ? Any up/down blade play ?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I just got mine in the mail today from Blade HQ, and there is Zero blade play. Nice centering of the blade. Great Color. I like it quite a bit... although mine also isn't very sharp out of the box, so I'm going to have to sharpen, which I normally do anyway.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Here are both sides of mine for looking at the lamination lines:
Attachments
DSC01740.jpeg
DSC01737.jpeg
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

elena86 wrote:Hey ScottG how is the lock ? Any up/down blade play ?
Zero blade play with a very strong lock up
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Image Image

The lamination line in the first image looks normal, but in the second image (the other side) it is almost hard to notice as it is so close to the bevel and does eventually run into the bevel. Obviously this should not affect performance in any way. Sorry for the cellphone pictures.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

That lamination line is whack but since its hap40 sandwiched in between sus410 all the way to the top you always be cutting with hap40.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Still can only imagine how awesome a solid slab would have been vs clad. I had an extra SB E4 that I sold because the lamination line was so wonky on one side.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, I like the laminated blades and do not need perfectly even lamination lines but I would be unhappy with them like that. They shouldn't be hitting the bevel IMO. Bummer. I should function just fine but still. I have a Super Blue Endura, Stretch and Delica and none of them have even lamination lines but none of them look like that. The lines are all way above the bevel on mine.

I wonder if this is caused by the steel or the thickness of the layers. I once read about this process and it said that they start with three layers that are about an inch thick and then roll it out into sheets of the desired thickness. If this steel is made that way then the variations in the laminations lines from one knife to the next could be caused by varying thicknesses of the layers rather than an uneven grind. It may have to do with quality control at the foundry and not at the manufacturing facility.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I mean all things considered, I think it's quite an impressive feat to have the lines they do on such a thin piece of material ground at such acute angles. I still marvel at my SB Lady Bug because of how thin the blade is, yet it is still 3 layers of metal.

Speaking of which...Dragonfly?! Soon please?! Thanks!! :D
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
lo8el

Post by lo8el »

Newly acquired. Perfect all around!
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Awesome shot lo8el! Love seeing these pictures! Keep em coming! Only thing keeping me going until my KC Delica pre-order comes around... Anyone else have minor heart attacks every time your get the "Friendly note reminder" email? Just email me when its en route!!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

Nice to hear it performs well. I read elsewhere that it is comparable to M4. I like M4. :)
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Still no word on when the Delicas are going to hit the streets?

It gets my hopes up when I see HAP40 and Delica in the same thread name :(
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I haven't used my Endura a huge amount, but I noticed today it didn't shave arm hair as well as new so I touched it up, maybe 10 strokes per side on the Sharpmaker fine rods, and it seem to pop arm hair better than most of my knives. I was about to shave, so on a whim I lathered up and shaved a swath on my cheek, and darned if it didn't do almost as well as my razor.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

My local dealer had three HAP 40 Enduras left and I took the one with even cladding lines:

Put it through my usual routine of thinning the primary bevel until it was ~0.030" thick at 1/4" behind the apex and ~0.010" at 1/32" behind the apex with a Norton Crystolon coarse and cleaned up with a Sigma Power Select II 240x stone.

Edge bevel at ~8 degrees per side created freehand with a Sigma Power Select II 240x stone.

Edge bevel polished freehand using SPS-II stones in a 1,000 -> 6,000 -> 10,000 -> 13,000 progression.

Apex set with a micro-bevel using a Spyderco Sharpmaker with the fine rods on the 15 dps setting.
Last edited by Steel_Drake on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Beautiful work!
Going back to Caly.
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

SpeedHoles wrote:^ Beautiful work!
Thank you! It really helped that the factory grind on this one was basically perfectly centered so the edge bevels came out matched without having to do any extra work on one side on the primary grind.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I needs some HAP Delica in my life.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.