HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by farnorthdan »

WireEdge Roger wrote:My wife and a friend both said the color looks like "rust" I love that it's unique, my hats off to Sal and company for making such great, unique and exclusive knives for us knuts :D
Funny, thats what I thought it looked like too.. ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Mine has "105V" on the blade, is this normal?
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Sirens1 wrote:Mine has "105V" on the blade, is this normal?
If it's on the side stating the blade steel and showing the logo, it sounds like a collectors number and would be normal.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Mastiff wrote: I got out my old edge gauge ( Spyderco from several years back) and the angle on the Endura is between 25 and 30 degrees inclusive. It's pretty thin too and is very even as if it was done on a fixture. I like this sprint beginning from the fit and finish on through everything else. I'm not an orange fan but it's not as bad as it could be.
My Endura is scheduled to arrive Tuesday but I'm hoping it'll get here Monday.
I'm looking forward to adding one ( 4V mule) to my collection hopefully next week. I've wanted a 4V mule since I first read about the steel being produced. It's definitely in the performance category I like which is a good balance of wear resistance, toughness and edge stability. I can select any of the steels in this range and do most jobs I usually need from a knife.

3V, Vascowear/Cruwear/PD#1/Z wear, 4V/Vandis 4E ( only one I haven't actually tried yet) and up to CPM M4(HC)

Add in M2, M3 and a few more in this class as well.
Joe
IIRC I decided I wanted a 4V mule based partly on your comments when the subject first came up, I think, on the blade forum. I'm really looking forward to using both it and the Endura and also curious about how they both will oxidize when cutting acidic fruits and vegetables, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks for the great pics folks! Can't wait for the Delica to come out! I passed on the Endura, I've sort of moved away from that model since it never clicked for me. Sold my SB Endura last week in fact, but I'm having mixed feelings now about giving that one up. I do like the Delica quite a bit and am slowly working to complete the full FRN rainbow of them, this new color will fit in nicely ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

SteelSpyder wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:Mine has "105V" on the blade, is this normal?
If it's on the side stating the blade steel and showing the logo, it sounds like a collectors number and would be normal.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea there were such things.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

BTG wrote:Oh, oh....I thought the new brown Tenacious looked like Carmel....or should I say the new burnt orange Tenacious...lol
It seems I didn't see that brown Tenacious. :rolleyes:

Rust look as WireEdge Roger said sound interesting ! :)

Can't wait to have a Delica then D-Fly then Manbug :D to see that color in real !
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm really looking forward to using both it and the Endura and also curious about how they both will oxidize when cutting acidic fruits and vegetables, etc.
Doug, It is IMO not as rusty as 1095 and O-1 , but it is more so than D2. Where it is in that region not only has to do with the composition of the steel, ( less chrome than 3V) but it has to do with the finish, and the heat treat . Both 4V knives I have respond a bit differently and it's the finish on those more so than the heat treat ( Bark River @ rc 60 less corrosion resistance than Big Chris custom @ rc 63) Neither is as bad as the above steels or Super Blue and clean up with very little work. It's not too far off A2 , or 3V and CPM M4 . You will have to wash the edges off then wipe down and re treat after cutting fruit or it will discolor some. I use clear liquid silicone from A.G. Russell on my alloy knives that I might occasionally use for food, but not often. Most of my kitchen knives are stainless but I use my folders more than them and feel like all my knives get washed after cutting fruit. Even VG10.

I hope you enjoy it. It should be easy to use, clean, sharpen and will perform well in all things except in true corrosive conditions. Even then it does better than any of my 1095 knives ( or Super Blue) so that is easy enough for me to not worry about it not being stainless.

I don't have enough experience with the HAP 40 knife yet to say much about corrosion resistance. I'm looking forward to getting the experience though.

joe
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I've been using mine pretty regularly for three days now, and I don't have any patina or discoloration. I haven't cut much fruit, just some bananas. I know that by now my Super Blue Endura would have obvious signs of patina.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

At first at least I think I'll just use normal clean and dry procedures with both the HAP40 and 4V and see what happens. If by any chance they develop an even patina like my Super Blue, I'll probably not bother to do anything special.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I know this may sound crazy but I actually like the patina these steels get with honest daily use, it's one of the things I like the most about SB, well that and how easy it is to sharpen and the incredibly sharp edges they get.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Out of curiosity, I diced up a mess of onions today with my HAP40 Endura and left it wet for a while. Still no patina.
swigert

Post by swigert »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Out of curiosity, I diced up a mess of onions today with my HAP40 Endura and left it wet for a while. Still no patina.
interesting, I'm wondering how long it will take...
bchan

Post by bchan »

WireEdge Roger, just for discussion sake, try your knife on an orange or better yet, a lemon, and see if anything happens. (No, my knife hasn't arrived yet).
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I quickly got an even gray patina on my Super Blue knives peeling pears and tomatoes, practically right before my eyes, but I haven't found any other metal that changes that quick.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I don't see why these keep getting compared to Super Blue? I don't think they will be as effected as SB...

...and try giving one a coffee dip! I did that with a GB and it gave a nice shaded patina.
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpeedHoles wrote:I don't see why these keep getting compared to Super Blue? I don't think they will be as effected as SB...

...and try giving one a coffee dip! I did that with a GB and it gave a nice shaded patina.
Interesting. Coffee forces a patina? I've never heard of that trick. Pictures?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpeedHoles wrote:I don't see why these keep getting compared to Super Blue? I don't think they will be as effected as SB...

Don't the have similar blame composition? Maybe because they have the laminated blade and are also the same seki city group.

swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:

Don't the have similar blame composition? Maybe because they have the laminated blade and are also the same seki city group.
I thought it was closer to M4? Which would make it definitely harder to Patina, than SB.

However, I'm not educated at all when it comes to steel composition, I've just heard not he forums that it is similar to M4.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

swigert wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

I thought it was closer to M4? Which would make it definitely harder to Patina, than SB.

However, I'm not educated at all when it comes to steel composition, I've just heard not he forums that it is similar to M4.
Actually I think your right, it is M4 I was thinking of, which none of mine have (m4 blades) shown much patina, I know they will but nothing like SB, my endura should be here Monday....can't wait.