Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Post by Donut »

Do they have Police that are stationed in/near the water?

By the way, I was looking at the Catalog and the CE version of the Native seems to have less than 50% of the edge as serrations. There is no happy medium.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Donut wrote:I used to know someone named JD Spydo who would never leave a thread that mentioned models that needed Spyder Edge without mentioning the Captain. :) I still have a little hope on that one.

A Superhawk with Spyder Edge would be nice. I think a lot of people are hoping to see a Para 2 in SE. I know the whole "No ZDP and Serrations" rule, but I would like to see a SE Dragonfly in ZDP.

Howe's had a special on the Native 5 Lightweight SE this week, so I am looking forward to trying S35VN with a SE.
I got to show off my favorite Spyderco

Fully serrated zdp189

insane edge holding and sharpness
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'd like to see a fully serrated all h1 spyderhawk.

H1 handles and blade
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:I'd like to see a fully serrated all h1 spyderhawk.

H1 handles and blade
I know where you're coming from with that idea JA but realistically you really need a Titanium handle and locking system to make it a superior quality folder. Now an all metal folder depending on what you want to use for what applications is always negotiable.

I own and use an H-1 Spyderhawk with the yellow FRN handle and believe me it's still a beast of a blade that I wouldn't trade for anything.

You know the more I think about it since they've done their newbie TUSK model in LC200N I think maybe it's high time we petitioned for a Hawkbill in that new nitrogen based steel>> but only if they offer it up in Spyderedge of course.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JAfromMN wrote:
Donut wrote:I used to know someone named JD Spydo who would never leave a thread that mentioned models that needed Spyder Edge without mentioning the Captain. :) I still have a little hope on that one.

A Superhawk with Spyder Edge would be nice. I think a lot of people are hoping to see a Para 2 in SE. I know the whole "No ZDP and Serrations" rule, but I would like to see a SE Dragonfly in ZDP.

Howe's had a special on the Native 5 Lightweight SE this week, so I am looking forward to trying S35VN with a SE.

Fully serrated zdp189

That's pretty slick. I do have one of them and the matching Delica.

I wonder how rare they really are.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Donut wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:

Fully serrated zdp189

That's pretty slick. I do have one of them and the matching Delica.

I wonder how rare they really are.

I don't know. I do know I've never seen another.

I should have got the delica when I had the chance.

I use the crap out of my ZDP endura I hope it's not too rare.

It been a beast of a knife.

I hope I never lose or break it. I doubt that I could find one like it again.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Nice....I really like mine as well. I bought it years ago, not knowing it would be a coveted model.

JAfromMN wrote:

Fully serrated zdp189

:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Been away since about 2010 and gt interested in traditional pocket knives.
One of the reasons I lost my interest in Spyderco knives beside personal financial set backs is the fact that Spyderco was producing less and less models in full Spyderedge.
I know hat Sal and company must make a living, but some models scream for serrations.
I'm sure I drove Sal crazy back then with my whining about serrations and what did he do?
He send me a Military AND a Paramilitary CPMD2 in full spyderedge. The only 2 in the world.
Thanks so much again Sal. Still have them and always will.

But that as a side note.
Whenever I think Spyderco I think of full spyderedge because here's where Spyderco really shines. Sure I have to become to appreciate a plain edge as well but...
And then the Captain Joe,
Back in 2006 during the Adam meet I handled the proto of the captain and already wondered why it wasn't serrated in the first place being a rescue purpused knife and all.
I asked Sal and he took notes and said he would take in into consideration.
So so far no luck if I'm correct.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:Been away since about 2010 and gt interested in traditional pocket knives.
One of the reasons I lost my interest in Spyderco knives beside personal financial set backs is the fact that Spyderco was producing less and less models in full Spyderedge.
I know hat Sal and company must make a living, but some models scream for serrations.
I'm sure I drove Sal crazy back then with my whining about serrations and what did he do?
He send me a Military AND a Paramilitary CPMD2 in full spyderedge. The only 2 in the world.
Thanks so much again Sal. Still have them and always will.

But that as a side note.
Whenever I think Spyderco I think of full spyderedge because here's where Spyderco really shines. Sure I have to become to appreciate a plain edge as well but...
And then the Captain Joe,
Back in 2006 during the Adam meet I handled the proto of the captain and already wondered why it wasn't serrated in the first place being a rescue purpused knife and all.
I asked Sal and he took notes and said he would take in into consideration.
So so far no luck if I'm correct.
Spydutch!!! Great to see you my friend!! I had a feeling this thread would bring out some of the hard core Spyderedged users :cool: Hey Buddy I can't for the life of me understand why the C-111 Captain and C-06 TUSK models are not yet available in Spyderedge :confused: ?? Oh yes there are other models that literally scream for a blade with teeth but those two are truly paramount as far as needing a Spyderedge ;)

Spydutch ol' Buddy I was just the other day playing around with my ATS-55 full SE Stainless Rescue model I got from you around 09 or thereabout. And I can assure you I will never let go of that bad boy. And Arend I've tried and tried to be the ambassador for the Stainless Rescue and several other models that really shine in Spyderedge but I've got the feeling that many are going to have to experience it "hands on". Because you Sir SPYDUTCH are the main guy who turned me onto the great potential of many Spyderco models with the Spyderedge and their awesome capability.

I hope all is well across the pond. I do believe I've picked up a couple of disciples like SURFINGRINGO and Brother Donut but again most are just going to have to learn it but using it. But there is truly a growing number of folks here that are learning the true tool value of the Spyderedge.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am a bit baffled that the SE Military was discontinued.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:I am a bit baffled that the SE Military was discontinued.
But do take heart BROCK because there is a growing number of C-36 Military fans who are really making a lot of noise to have the full Spyderedged Military model put back in the main line up. I don't think we will see the end of 2015 without at least a Sprint Run of the SE Military model available at some point IMO.

I've noticed a lot more requests for many of the Spyderco models made at the Golden CO USA plant to be made available in Spyderedge. When I first started being a big collector of Spyders just about every collaboration and IN HOUSE models were all pretty much available in Spyderedge>> we need that trend to return>> but to do our part we need to buy them when they make them available.
Donut

Post by Donut »

In my opinion, SE ZDP should be brought back and you can add $20 extra to the models for the wear on the serrating machines.

Then... I can't believe that Mastiff doesn't know how Cruwear works with a serrated edge. That and Cruwear being a relative of 3V... I would love to see it and I'm 100% ready to use Mastiff as an excuse to see it used for a Serrated Military Sprint. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Spyderco, spyderedge.

I wouldn't be here right now if spyderco didn't offer there knives is plane, partly serrated and fully serrated.

I'd also pay a bit more for serrated super steel.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

JD Spydo wrote:...but to do our part we need to buy them when they make them available.
Yes this is a good point... It is useless to ask and plead for new SE models when we do not buy them new from dealers. If we only buy discontinued SE models from the secondary market, the current production SE sales figures will not look great at the mothership, and soon they will join the others on the discontinued list... I realise now I have been guilty of this before! :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I know I'm like a scratch/skip on a 33rpm LP record album and I've brought this up a few times if not a dozen>> but I still want to see what one of Spyderco's great Recurve blades would be like in full Spyderedge. When you consider the wavy configuration is always at an angle of attack I think a Spyderedged ULIZE or SPYKER would truly be a force to be reckoned with :cool: Even Brother Dialex's ADVENTURA model I think would be a screamer in full Spyderedge. But yet no one has said to me why it would not be a good idea :confused:

Personally I just think that any blade with a curve is at an advantage in Spyderedge>> because look how limited a Hawkbill blade would be if you couldn't get one in full Spyderedge>> I love my plain edged Harpy and Spyderhawk both but when it comes to using one I'll go to the Spyderedged units any day of the week and for about any cutting job.

Yes I believe a SPYKER or ULIZE in Spyderedge would truly boost the recurve sales by a huge margin. But how are you going to know unless you at least do one Sprint Run of them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:Well I know I'm like a scratch/skip on a 33rpm LP record album and I've brought this up a few times if not a dozen>> but I still want to see what one of Spyderco's great Recurve blades would be like in full Spyderedge. But yet no one has said to me why it would not be a good idea :confused:
In terms of demand/popularity:

Standard blade shape > exotic blade shape

Plain edge > Serrated

So an exotic blade shape with a serrated edge is very likely to have the smallest fan base, all things considered. I know you think that the serrations will actually improve the recurve blade shape, but improvements don't always equal demand. We're still speaking English instead of Esperanto, and Windows still dominates the computing world, to list a few examples.

Having said that, making them, and getting them in people's hands might change some minds.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

S110V MANIX LIGHTWEIGHT

So much edge retention. Also cheap enough to be an every man's knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Well I know I'm like a scratch/skip on a 33rpm LP record album and I've brought this up a few times if not a dozen>> but I still want to see what one of Spyderco's great Recurve blades would be like in full Spyderedge. But yet no one has said to me why it would not be a good idea :confused:
In terms of demand/popularity:

Standard blade shape > exotic blade shape

Plain edge > Serrated

So an exotic blade shape with a serrated edge is very likely to have the smallest fan base, all things considered. I know you think that the serrations will actually improve the recurve blade shape, but improvements don't always equal demand. We're still speaking English instead of Esperanto, and Windows still dominates the computing world, to list a few examples.

Having said that, making them, and getting them in people's hands might change some minds.
You make a couple of excellent points "tvenuto" and I'm in agreement with your critique to a large degree. Because like I said in an earlier post one of the best ways I think Spyderco could sell more of their Spyderedges would be to have two or three models at their booth at the knife/outdoor shows they are at. Because if they had one of the classic RESCUE, POLICE or even an ENDURA or any of the H-1 Salt Series in Spyderedge and let the public literally test drive them to see first hand how well they execute certain cutting jobs I do think it would be huge as far as getting out the information.

Because I have no doubt at all that SURFINGRINGO's article he did for BLADE magazine has really bolstered interest in the H-1 Salt Series and especially for the Spyderedged models out of that particular group of folders and to some extent the fixed blades as well. I'm finding that even most of the knife afficionados have had little hands-on experience with serrated blades period much less Spyderco's top notch SE blades.

But in regards to Recurve blades in SE or even CE for that matter I do believe would sell good if people would use them and see first hand how good of a cutting tool they really are.

I can go back to 1995 when I got my very first Spyderco folder which was my GIN-1, stainless handled MARINER model in Spyderedge>> It wasn't until then that I finally got to test drive a serrated knife of premium quality. I had used serrated knives like cheap kitchen knives and so forth but I had up to that time never used a serrated blade of that quality and it instantly sold me. Then my good Brother Spydutch and a couple of other Brothers here on the Forum pointed out to me a few years back all the stuff they used them on and then I became the big fan of Spyderedges. But it wasn't until I used them and got hands-on experience and seen first hand how great these Spyderedged blades are for certain jobs.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

The first Spydie I got was a PE Salt1 (back in 2005) because at the time I didn't see the usefullness of a serrated blade. I thought that if I needed a saw I would go to the hardware store.
Just until I tried a fully serrated Military just for the heck of it.
I started to use it instead of my PE Spydies and he rest is history LOL.
IIRC Spyderco was the first to put serrations ALL over the blade and despite I have learned to appreciate a PE blade as wel, if I think Spyderco I think Spyderedge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:The first Spydie I got was a PE Salt1 (back in 2005) because at the time I didn't see the usefullness of a serrated blade. I thought that if I needed a saw I would go to the hardware store.
Just until I tried a fully serrated Military just for the heck of it.
I started to use it instead of my PE Spydies and he rest is history LOL.
IIRC Spyderco was the first to put serrations ALL over the blade and despite I have learned to appreciate a PE blade as wel, if I think Spyderco I think Spyderedge.
Spydutch that last sentence in your post is what has me on my soapbox :) Because I also think of Spyderco and high quality serrated blades are indeed synonymous with each other. The diminishing trend with fewer and fewer great Spyderco models no longer being available in Spyderedge is truly disturbing to me and I"m quite sure you feel the same way Arend. I'm convinced there is a market out there and a big one but so many people are unaware of Spyderco's premium serrated cutlery>> culinary, hard use, outdoor and even marine uses are done well with Spyderedges.

I truly think it's more or less of a public relations failure of sorts>> and what I mean by that is that so few of knife using people are not aware of how good of cutting tools that Spyderedged knives. Just like Spyderco catapulted their sales of sharpening tools by going to trade shows, country fairs, knife shows, gun shows and exhibiting first hand with hands-on usage they truly became a big player in the sharpener business. I have no doubt that is what made them super successful in that market of sharpening equipment. They could also demonstrate Spyderedged blades in the same format and I believe the sales would go up exponentially. I just recently went out of my way to talk to three firefighters and two police officers ( first responders) and out of the 5 of them I chatted with at our local firestation within two blocks of our business only one of them had even heard of Spyderco's great cutlery or sharpening products :confused: . Every first responder in this country needs to be given a demonstration of Spyderco's great equipment.

It wasn't until I actually used my original Mariner model and used it on many rough cutting jobs with great suceess that I realized that there were indeed high quality serrated blades that most knife users are even unaware of>> and Spyderco was the only company I knew of that was commercially successful with serrated knives to the extent they have penetrated the high end knife market.. Great serration patterns that were tested and made with high quality materials truly changed the rules of the game and it also put Spyderco on the map so to speak. Because there are at least a half a dozen cutting jobs I've encountered that Spyderedges do reign supreme.