Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18156
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby JD Spydo » Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 pm

There has just been a plethora of great new Spyders introduced in the past few months that we've been very blessed to have added to the main line up. But I for one am extremely disappointed that some of these new models are not yet available in SPYDEREDGE ( fully serrated with Spyderco's aggressive patterns for all you newcomers). One model that I think really demands an explanation as to why it's not yet available in Spyderedge is that TUSK model>> which is without a doubt a superb blade target marketed for the fishing, marine sectors and also for harsh and demanding environments as only these nitrogen based steels can accomodate.

Also with all the great and encouraging talk about fillet knives here of late I really want to emphasize that a fully serrated/Spyderedged H-1 Catcherman would also be a GOD-Send as well. There are other fixed blades that Spyderco already has available that I would love to see at least one of them available in Spyderedge. Because if I hadn't of bought two of the TEMPERANCE 1 FB-05 models in SE back when they were available there are several cutting jobs I do frequently that would be much more difficult with a plain edge>> but thank the great folks at Spyderco for at least offering up that one great old fixed blade model in SE ;) .

With a fixed blade fillet knife seemingly looking like a sure thing on the horizon soon I'm thinking how nice it would be to see it offered also in Spyderedge. Yes I do love fishing, marine and outdoor blades in Spyderedge but I'm 99.9% sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate seeing it come to fruition. But I'm also sure that some of you all have certain newer Spyderco models or even possible Sprint Runs you would like to see in SE. So let's talk about what we think would be super in Spyderedge.

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7856
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby SpyderNut » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, JD. Just last weekend, I used my little SE Ladybug to cut through some wet 5/8" nylon rope for our boat. I had to cut several pieces and the Ladybug was the only thing I had on me. My father-in-law handed me a S&W knife with a CE blade, but it was so unfortunately dull it quite literally bounced off of the rope vs. cutting it. The next day, I used the same little LB knife to open about a dozen plastic clam-shell packages at work. A few co-workers laughed at my "little knife" at first, but they soon stopped laughing after seeing that little SE blade slice through that plastic!

Back to the topic at hand, I would love to see more models offered in full SE. I mean that, too. I love my PE blades, don't get me wrong, but SE is my go-to mainstay when the chips are down. What would I like to see? Heck, show me the knife in SE and I'll probably like it. ;) I still think a Dyad in H1 would be sweet. And yes, a rebirth of the Catcherman in CE or full SE would be absolutely amazing. Good post, JD.

xinam
Member
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby xinam » Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Thats a tough one! I feel like its still offered in most of the key models. I was disappointed to se the police3 g10 se go, I feel like its the perfect balance of what a work knife should be. It did have a delicate tip, mine looks like an endura tip now. I feel like the lil T will be offered in se and perhaps sprinted in se g10. I really feel like this new model is going to be a big hit! High hopes...

As for the fillet knives and se, I just don't know. It would have its place for sure and if they offered it I would buy it but probably stick to pe for my smallmouth and pan fish. Maybe offer a combo sheath with with a longer pe blade and a shorter se for the tough jobs?

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby twinboysdad » Fri May 29, 2015 5:53 am

Love to see the Ayoob return in full SE. Ulize is a no brainer and has been discussed. Pingo might be cool in SE. Honestly though, the full SE seems to be going the way of the Dodo...pun intended. The market place has shown that in H1 and a few flagship models SE still sells but otherwise people just don't lay down the cash like they do for PE. The fact that the PM2 has yet to be SE tells you all you need to know about forecasting and SE.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18156
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby JD Spydo » Fri May 29, 2015 6:33 am

twinboysdad wrote:Love to see the Ayoob return in full SE. Ulize is a no brainer and has been discussed. Pingo might be cool in SE. Honestly though, the full SE seems to be going the way of the Dodo...pun intended. The market place has shown that in H1 and a few flagship models SE still sells but otherwise people just don't lay down the cash like they do for PE. The fact that the PM2 has yet to be SE tells you all you need to know about forecasting and SE.
Yeah you and I both know how good the C-60 Ayoob was in full Spyderedge in the first generation models. I remember Doc Snubnose and a couple of other guys that thought the C-60 SE Ayoob model was the best serrated blade Spyderco ever made for a lot of different reasons.

I just got some interesting information from a very knowledgable Brother letting me know that the new LC200N ( nitrogen based) blade steel holds an edge better on plain edged blades than H-1 does. That completely changes my desires for a new Catcherman model>> I now would love to see a new Catcherman model in LC200N in both PE & SE. Now I'm not saying that as an "anti-H-1" jesture because I still think that Spyderedged H-1 folders and fixed blades are super good. But I am now wondering how good the new LC200N steel rates performance wise in Spyderedge?

Another interesting item to consider concerning the C-60 Ayoob model. There was a good Spyder Brother from the eastern part of the USA who told me some time back that the C-60 Ayoob was actually a great fish fillet knife which got my attention.

The original DODO model when it was available in full Spyderedge was a mini-beast of a blade and to me it's an injustice to not have it available in full SE.

I'm also wondering what a Catcherman model would be like with a serration pattern similar to the pattern they use on the K-04 & K-05 kitchen blades?

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9335
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Donut » Fri May 29, 2015 7:35 am

I used to know someone named JD Spydo who would never leave a thread that mentioned models that needed Spyder Edge without mentioning the Captain. :) I still have a little hope on that one.

A Superhawk with Spyder Edge would be nice. I think a lot of people are hoping to see a Para 2 in SE. I know the whole "No ZDP and Serrations" rule, but I would like to see a SE Dragonfly in ZDP.

Howe's had a special on the Native 5 Lightweight SE this week, so I am looking forward to trying S35VN with a SE.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9335
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Donut » Fri May 29, 2015 7:57 am

Oh, I want to add a reminder in honor of Lance.

Having 1/2" of plain edge on the end of all SE models is very important. If we could fit 3/4" of plain edge, that would be pretty sweet, too!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
spyderHS08
Member
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: KS, USA, Earth

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby spyderHS08 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 am

A spyderedge para 2 would be welcome in my house any day.....

Invective
Member
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Invective » Fri May 29, 2015 9:15 am

I'm awaiting the day I can pick up another SE Millie. My 440V SE Millie has seen a lot of hard work and I don't plan to give it any rest soon so I'd love to be able to pick up a back-up

User avatar
Knivesinedc
Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: USA,CA

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Knivesinedc » Fri May 29, 2015 2:59 pm

spyderHS08 wrote:A spyderedge para 2 would be welcome in my house any day.....
YES, YES, YES and if I didn't make myself clear...........................YES!!!!! The para2 would be my all time favorite Spydie if it came in full SE. Please, Sal, pleeeeeeeeease?

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby twinboysdad » Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm

I am probably oversimplifying this, but it seems like the guy grinding PM2s in Golden could just "flip the switch" to SE easy as pie. Would I prefer something besides s30v? Of course but I would buy one in it too. No understanding of why they don't run a couple a hundred PM2s in SE and see what happens?

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21511
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Evil D » Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm very seriously considering having my incoming Kiwi 4 serrated...

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18156
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby JD Spydo » Fri May 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Donut wrote:I used to know someone named JD Spydo who would never leave a thread that mentioned models that needed Spyder Edge without mentioning the Captain. :) I still have a little hope on that one.

A Superhawk with Spyder Edge would be nice. I think a lot of people are hoping to see a Para 2 in SE. I know the whole "No ZDP and Serrations" rule, but I would like to see a SE Dragonfly in ZDP.

Howe's had a special on the Native 5 Lightweight SE this week, so I am looking forward to trying S35VN with a SE.
You're 100% right on DONUT ;) And believe me I still very much want to see the C-111 Captain model offered up with serrations on the inner arch part of the blade just like the original Jason Breeden prototype was. And YES!! Indeed I also for a long time thought it was an injustice that the Superhawk which had a much less radical curve to it which appealed to a lot of people who normally didn't like Hawkbill blades>> and for that knife not to have been offered up in Spyderedge is just flat out puzzling to me :confused:

No my friend I haven't forgotten those two models to be petitioned for a Spyderedge and I also think that the SUPERHAWK would be the ideal Hawkbill blade to try out with a Combo Edge as well. But believe me I was hoping that someone would mention them again and I appreciate you bringing them to the forefront.

Now concerning the new fully serrated Native>> I've heard a lot of good about it which doesn't surprise me at all because my old 440V SE Native is truly my warhorse model for destructive type cutting jobs>> and I have no doubt that this new Native 5 is even better.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18156
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby JD Spydo » Fri May 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Invective wrote:I'm awaiting the day I can pick up another SE Millie. My 440V SE Millie has seen a lot of hard work and I don't plan to give it any rest soon so I'd love to be able to pick up a back-up
Brother you and I both know just how unbelievably tough those 440V, Golden USA made Spyders are in full Spyderedge. I also had a 440V SE Military model as well and I'm on the hunt for another one. That 440V blade steel does not chip even when you put it through virtual hell itself. The only negative thing I can say about 440V ( S60V) is that it is truly a MONSTER :eek: to sharpen in either PE or SE.

I think it's just a matter of time we'll be seeing the Military offered in full SE again. I think Spyderco is waiting to see how well this fully serrated new Native 5 is going to sell for them before they do.

All of those full SE Golden USA made Spyders are special to be sure>> but especially the Military and Native.

User avatar
PayneTrain
Member
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: CT

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby PayneTrain » Fri May 29, 2015 6:06 pm

JD Spydo wrote: I still very much want to see the C-111 Captain model offered up with serrations on the inner arch part of the blade just like the original Jason Breeden prototype was.
I'm still behind you all the way on this JD. If we keep bringing it up enough, they'll have to do it eventually. Maybe just start inserting it randomly into every other post in large font. Because seriously, the world needs a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN and I for one will not be satisfied until it is done and I own one. I mean come on, who wouldn't want a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN? It'd be the bee's knees, the cat's meow, the bird's feathers, the car's headlights, the hot dog's bun, the whatever's whatever. It'd be good. And everyone who used one would thank their lucky stars that they finally have a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN. I know I would
...


SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN
Is it working?
...


SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18156
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby JD Spydo » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

PayneTrain wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I still very much want to see the C-111 Captain model offered up with serrations on the inner arch part of the blade just like the original Jason Breeden prototype was.
I'm still behind you all the way on this JD. If we keep bringing it up enough, they'll have to do it eventually. Maybe just start inserting it randomly into every other post in large font. Because seriously, the world needs a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN and I for one will not be satisfied until it is done and I own one. I mean come on, who wouldn't want a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN? It'd be the bee's knees, the cat's meow, the bird's feathers, the car's headlights, the hot dog's bun, the whatever's whatever. It'd be good. And everyone who used one would thank their lucky stars that they finally have a SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN. I know I would
...


SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN
Is it working?
...


SPYDEREDGE CAPTAIN
Payne I'm not going to delete any of what you posted because you're right!! The squeaky wheel gets oiled, the crabby housewife gets the trash taken out, a runny nose gets a Kleenex, a headache gets an aspirin and so on goes the ways of nature and the laws of physics :rolleyes: A scratch/skip on an LP record album gets a new needle/stylus and a PLAIN EDGED C-111 CAPTAIN will get a serrated edge if we are just persistent and if we get enough constant demand we will see a Spyderedged C-111 CAPTAIN MODEL.

But there are a few others that need to be on that list> The TUSK model, THE SUPERHAWK, The DODO model, The MILITARY model, and while we're at it let's toss in the STREETBEAT and maybe with some persausion we could get Mr. Massad Ayoob to let us have a C-60 in full SE again. But wait there's more......

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21511
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Evil D » Sat May 30, 2015 4:05 am

Donut wrote:Oh, I want to add a reminder in honor of Lance.

Having 1/2" of plain edge on the end of all SE models is very important. If we could fit 3/4" of plain edge, that would be pretty sweet, too!

I'm sort of on the fence with this. I've always preferred having a PE tip because you sort of cheat your way into having both edges. But, I also love having an entire large serration at the tip (if possible, if the pattern just works out evenly with the edge length) because it has really been useful in some tasks for me.

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5506
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Surfingringo » Sat May 30, 2015 6:18 am

Evil D wrote:
Donut wrote:Oh, I want to add a reminder in honor of Lance.

Having 1/2" of plain edge on the end of all SE models is very important. If we could fit 3/4" of plain edge, that would be pretty sweet, too!

I'm sort of on the fence with this. I've always preferred having a PE tip because you sort of cheat your way into having both edges. But, I also love having an entire large serration at the tip (if possible, if the pattern just works out evenly with the edge length) because it has really been useful in some tasks for me.
I hear what you are saying on that, but for me, the added versatility of having that pe portion at the tip trumps the occasional functionality of the extra serration up there. As always it will depend upon a persons usage.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21511
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Evil D » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 am

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Donut wrote:Oh, I want to add a reminder in honor of Lance.

Having 1/2" of plain edge on the end of all SE models is very important. If we could fit 3/4" of plain edge, that would be pretty sweet, too!

I'm sort of on the fence with this. I've always preferred having a PE tip because you sort of cheat your way into having both edges. But, I also love having an entire large serration at the tip (if possible, if the pattern just works out evenly with the edge length) because it has really been useful in some tasks for me.
I hear what you are saying on that, but for me, the added versatility of having that pe portion at the tip trumps the occasional functionality of the extra serration up there. As always it will depend upon a persons usage.

No I completely agree and I think that's why most have it. I just carry two knives to counter this.

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9335
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Models We Absolutely NEED in Spyderedge

Postby Donut » Sat May 30, 2015 10:13 am

In my opinion, not having to spend a few seconds switching knives makes a much better experience. A lot of times I do carry both edge types and I love my full SE models, but the nice PE section at the end of my Native makes me love it. When I'm carrying both, it's nice to be able to choose before I start cutting, but when I change my mind... it would be nicer to have that PE section.

I was thinking about what other people said and what I said... I don't think the Dodo would be able to have 1/2" of plain edge at the end, it would leave the hawkbill section plain edge. Maybe that's the model that needs to have the hawk serrated and the belly plain edge.


A couple of years ago, I think the SE Captain dream made me buy an Ontario Utilitac Tanto where it has the long section of the tanto serrated and the short section plain edge. I would still love to have the Captain, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abiggs, AmpliFyre, blues, Enactive, Google [Bot], Larry_Mott, PeptoBizmo, SpyderCuse, Spydergirl88, The Meat man and 43 guests