Neck Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeh99

Neck Knives

Post by mikeh99 »

Here is probably the stupid question of the day but here goes. How does one use and deploy a neck knife efficiently? It generally is concealed under a shirt or such. If you carry it on the outside a folder or fixed blade would do. I have an Enuff and am considering an ARK (in the shower it would be easy) but I think I am missing something in their use. Please enlighten me.
Mike
araneae

Re: Neck Knives

Post by araneae »

I've never found neck knives of any interest. I suppose they have their fans as there are lots of neck knives to chose from, but I'd rather have a knife in my pocket than swinging from my neck.
xinam

Post by xinam »

I tried on once, I felt like I needed two hands to safely deploy it. I could imagine reaching under a t shirt and slicing myself real good so ... its not for me. I don't shower in public, but that is probably the best use for one in my book. Though, if I felt that was going to be an issue I'd probably shower with a Glock :)
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I actually tried carrying my Swick on my neck today. I enjoy neck knives if I'm wearing a hoodie, a sweater, or a few layers of clothes. Neck knives with a t-shirt is not my favorite. The knife swings around too much, and it makes it less comfortable. I would prefer it inside the waistband in warmer weather. It's really all personal preference. :)

Matt
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have had a lot of experience with all types of neck knives over the years...For me...I never liked deploying a knife from under a shirt...reason is: I can't see the blade....If concealing a neck knife under say a T-shirt...What seems to work best for me is to have the neck knife hanging over the sternum (handle in the down position) then pick the entire sheath and knife with your dominant hand's fingertips up and out the front of your t-shirt. As soon as it clears the neck line drop the sheath and knife down the outside of your shirt to the full extension of the chain and follow the knife down with the dominant hand for the draw-stroke. One, it's quick (with a little practice) Two, It doesn't draw a lot of attention (meaning...it's not like reaching for your hips or pockets for a weapon)Three, You always know where that blade is at all times.....Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I think Neck Knives are one of those 'suck it and see' product types- you have to try and find out if it works for you....There's a couple of clothing/use/person 'mixture scenarios' where the neck knife is the answer.....

I had a SPOT for a good while, and try as I might, I couldn't find a way to love it....And I wanted to.

When I'm working, I wear a shirt and tie, so either it'd need to be outside my clothes (Cue getting called in by HR) or buttoned under my shirt preventing deployment....Plus I'm wearing a Farah slacks, so a pocket clipped folder or Ladybug rattling about in my change pocket is more convenience....

I tried the SPOT under my T-shirt in my downtime but again- in cargo shorts or jeans, there's no shortage of pockets to store a folder....
Diving up under your shirt for the neck knife was fast and quick with a bit of practice....But there was a habit for the knife to swing as a walked and end up not exactly where I wanted it to be- plus getting it back into it's sheath was a bit awkward in this under-the-shirt position.

Where I found neck knives are probably most handy are when you have NO pockets or are wearing athletic wear that tends to ride down if you put weight in the pockets.....Then they are the solution to the issue.

Long and short- Spyderco makes good neck knives if you need one or like them....Not every knife in the catalogue is supposed to be liked by me- they aren't all for my needs ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I wear a swick when I'm on the water in my kayak. It is on the outside of my shirt and is easier to access from a seated position than the Pacific salt in my waistband. I got a dogtag folder recently that I wear around town. I carry it under my t-shirt. It is essentially man jewelry that can cut a string or open a box if I find myself without a knife in my pocket.

I just got a really cool little double sided magnet that has been great for neck carry! I posted a quick video on it in Off Topic. (In case anyone didn't see it)
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=67765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Watch some Murray Carter videos. He's a pro.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really do not like neck knives very much. I find them impractical. they are not particularly stealthy and they require two hands to put away. Also, if you have to run or do physical exercise, they can blacken your eyes and knock out your teeth when they bounce around. I only have one neck knife I occasionally use and I like the design of the ARK as it is similar in size, weight, and shape. Normally, I will simply drop such a knife in my pocket.
If you need a stealthy alternative, get a Ladybug or Manbug, put a slim strong string through the lanyard hole, and put this over a button of your shirt, leaving the knife inside, and then button up your shirt. (OSS trick).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

As somebody who lives in the tropics neck knives are pretty much a non-starter for me as they are about as conspicuous as you could possibly get. Also we only wear a single layer of clothing here (at most) so hiding it would involve wearing it next to the skin - also not good due to sweat, chafage etc.

I also own the Enuff and suspect it is slightly too heavy to be a neck knife - also the sheath (even the upgraded version with the extended lips) is not designed for inverted carry IMO.

From watching interviews with people like Ethan Becker, neck knives originate from and are used mainly in cold climates where people wear big coats which make it difficult to access anything on your belt or in your trouser pockets. There, neck knives are the idea solution because there is already a big opening in your coat for your head, and putting it away can also be done safely because the hands can always find each other, even in the dark.

Still, a little experimentation never hurt anyone :)
Studey

Post by Studey »

Doc Dan wrote:I really do not like neck knives very much. I find them impractical. they are not particularly stealthy and they require two hands to put away. Also, if you have to run or do physical exercise, they can blacken your eyes and knock out your teeth when they bounce around. I only have one neck knife I occasionally use and I like the design of the ARK as it is similar in size, weight, and shape. Normally, I will simply drop such a knife in my pocket.
If you need a stealthy alternative, get a Ladybug or Manbug, put a slim strong string through the lanyard hole, and put this over a button of your shirt, leaving the knife inside, and then button up your shirt. (OSS trick).
A neat trick with neck knives is to run a second piece of cord around your back under your armpits. Keeps it in place and from flopping.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

It depends on what you want it for. I know some combatives practitioners who use them and also ive heard rafters like them a lot since its difficult for them to access their waist in the raft. For normal day to day use, I personally cant really see their added practicality over a folder or IWB fixed blade. As for deployment, you either have to reach under your shirt, or have to pull it out from your neck line and then draw the knife. I suppose with some sort of button up shirt you could get around it though.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Thanks guys. I think I'll limit neck carry to kayaking for now. But it will be fun to try other reasons to use it. I'll probably play around till I cut myself.
Mike
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

It really is personal preference, for some it works, for others it doesn't.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A neck knife:
- Small
- Lightweight
- Fixed blade
- Unobtrusive
- Worn on a chain or thong around the neck.
- There if you need it
- Not intended to be a primary carry knife
- Easier to deploy than some other knives and carry positions in certain circumstances
- A good back up alternative

I think most objections to neck knives are based on how they are carried and deployed. If one sees them as meant for rapid draw, self defense weapons, (there is that overused and overblown word "tactical" again) then they are good in some situations, not so good in others. For more prosaic uses such as we generally use our knives for, I think they are fine. Just as one should not be careless with how a, say, Delica or PM 2 is deployed in normal use, one should treat the deployment of neck knives with the same care. If one is wearing a neck knife, like the ARK, in the shower - a use for which it was designed - then, difficulty of deployment isn't an issue.

I have a Folts Minimalist that I wear sometimes as a neck knife, especially when I am on stream fishing. Just easier to deal with amongst the other gear and do-dads I habitually take with me when fishing. Sometimes I just wear it under my shirt just because it is nice to have another knife along for the ride.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It seems to me that a neck knife is good for utility, maybe while working or while doing outdoor activities such as camping or fishing. IOW places where it is reasonable to wear a knife exposed. I have one I'm going to try wearing sometimes and see how it goes.
John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

mikeh99 wrote:Here is probably the stupid question of the day but here goes. How does one use and deploy a neck knife efficiently? ... I think I am missing something in their use. Please enlighten me.
Hey, Mike.

You're right, if the ARK is the only thing you're wearing except soap, it's easy to draw! :p

In the past, I have sometimes carried a "neck" knife by looping the ball chain around my belt, and then dropping the knife in a pocket. You may have to experiment a bit, but you should be able to regulate the length correctly (with some trial and error) to where the sheath pops off as you draw the knife from your pocket. If your neck knife is very thin, you can also not tuck in your shirt, and draw the knife by reaching up under your shirt and pulling down.

In general, I find "neck knives" to be relatively specialized. I'd just usually rather be using something like my Manix 2 LW, Persian 2, or Manix 2 XL for most tasks that don't require a Camp Defender. :cool:

John
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

John Shirley wrote:In general, I find "neck knives" to be relatively specialized. I'd just usually rather be using something like my Manix 2 LW, Persian 2, or Manix 2 XL for most tasks that don't require a Camp Defender. :cool:
John
Hello John, just wondering which Spyderco models you preferred to carry whilst deployed? Good for one soldier to learn from another :)

Bruno
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a Swick clipped to the shoulder strap of my Carhartt coveralls when ice fishing and it works great. I am able to use it with gloves on and it is easy to get to even when all bundled up in cold weather gear. The design of the Swick makes it great for fishing because your fingers can remain free to tie knots while still holding the knife and setting a knife down on the ice or in the snow is a great way to lose it.

I also clip a neck knife to the shoulder strap of my backpack when backpacking. My pack has a little loop on the shoulder strap that is perfect for that. I have carried a bk14 in that role many times.

I don't carry a neck knife every day but there are times they can be very handy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

John Shirley wrote: In the past, I have sometimes carried a "neck" knife by looping the ball chain around my belt, and then dropping the knife in a pocket. You may have to experiment a bit, but you should be able to regulate the length correctly (with some trial and error) to where the sheath pops off as you draw the knife from your pocket.

John
Yes I have found this to be a good way to carry a "neck" knife. I also, will attach such a knife to my fishing vest, or to other gear rather than wear it around my neck.

John, do you have a photo showing how to pocket carry a neck knife this way? I have one somewhere but am not certain where it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050