Southard Positron (Ion) Status Check

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Southard Positron (Ion) Status Check

Post by RamZar »

SpyderNut wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Oh man you're right. I seriously need that knife. I see the Mike Draper is available too.
Wow, the Draper is finally here too. I am curious how well it will sell.
I wonder what the MSRP is on the Mike Draper folder?

Spyderco Retail Pricing Guide has it at $499.95 and so does Cutlery Shoppe with a $274.95 street price (45 % off MSRP). However, GP Knives has a $360 MSRP with a street price of $215.95!

At $275+ it's a very tough sell!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
swigert

Post by swigert »

RamZar wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Oh man you're right. I seriously need that knife. I see the Mike Draper is available too.

Spyderco Retail Pricing Guide has it at $499.95 and so does Cutlery Shoppe with a $274.95 street price (45 % off MSRP). However, GP Knives has a $360 MSRP with a street price of $215.95!

If the handle didn't have that dang design id be all over it!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

swigert wrote:If the handle didn't have that dang design id be all over it!
I don't know if I'd be all over it without the design but NO WAY with that cheesy design.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

swigert wrote:
RamZar wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

If the handle didn't have that dang design id be all over it!
I would think you could remove the design by carefully sandblasting or sanding it off. Or maybe a Dremel and a high grit sanding drum. The colors remind me of the top of a circus tent. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Yeah it's pretty ugly. Titanium with VG-10? Seriously? For that much? Anyone know why they would do that?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

My Positron came in yesterday. It's very, very well made. The tolerances are tight, nothing wobbles, the detent is perfect, it flips perfectly. It's very diminutive, about the same size as a Worker but weighs almost nothing. The flipper stud functions like a button, not a lever. I normally carry larger Spydercos, so I won't be carrying this one a lot, but it's a very nice design and very well made.

Thanks Sal, Brad and Spyderco!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I handled the positron at the SFO yesterday. It was very nice and super duper light weight. It was smaller than I expected. I don't really get into flippers and do not carry my Southard enough so I am gonna pass on this one too. It seems like a gents folder to me. I think people will really like this one. It was slick.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
swigert

Post by swigert »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:My Positron came in yesterday. It's very, very well made. The tolerances are tight, nothing wobbles, the detent is perfect, it flips perfectly. It's very diminutive, about the same size as a Worker but weighs almost nothing. The flipper stud functions like a button, not a lever. I normally carry larger Spydercos, so I won't be carrying this one a lot, but it's a very nice design and very well made.

Thanks Sal, Brad and Spyderco!
Come on man, wheres the pics!
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Mine just shipped. Specifically curious about two things: how thick is the lock bar/liner and how stabby is the butt end of the handle...looks pointy and hoping the points have been knocked off the corners.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Firebat wrote:Mine just shipped. Specifically curious about two things: how thick is the lock bar/liner and how stabby is the butt end of the handle...looks pointy and hoping the points have been knocked off the corners.
Im REALLY hoping its not Rubicon pointy.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Pics or it didn't happen gentlemen.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

swigert wrote:
Firebat wrote:Mine just shipped. Specifically curious about two things: how thick is the lock bar/liner and how stabby is the butt end of the handle...looks pointy and hoping the points have been knocked off the corners.
Yeah, me too.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Pics or it didn't happen gentlemen.
Yes, very true. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

swigert wrote:
Firebat wrote:
lol. Agreed. That and the Viele Phoenix...remember that one? Every time my hand would even graze past my pocket...I'd get poked by the sharp corners sticking up. And forget about trying to reach into the pocket while the knife was still clipped in place.

I much prefer the sharp/pointy parts stay folded up into the handle until I need them.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I'll take/post some pics when I get home in 4 hours. I work in a semi-secure facility so cameras are disabled/not allowed.

It has the size of a Terzuola Slip-it or Worker, but with the grip of a Southard. It's an interesting little knife.

The lock bar is not thick. I'll measure it with a caliper but I'd call it "pretty thin". Everything locks up perfectly.

I didn't think the butt was pointy at all.
Last edited by jimmyjohnjohn on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ah, but the Phoenix is so darned purty I tend to overlook its "pokiness." :rolleyes:

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm also worried about the point on the back end. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on that. Unfortunately, they didn't have a Positron when I visited the SFO. I would have really liked to have held that one.
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

I thought the handle was very comfortable and I didn't find the end pointy at all. It is a small knife and it has a small handle but I was able to get all four fingers on it just fine but that was it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Did you pocket it? It seems the point would stick up out of the pocket and jab your hand. That was the biggest problem with carrying the Rubicon for me.
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Nope, I didnt. I guess I usually don't when I am in there oogling knives. Honestly, I was busy rambling about knives and my plans for the seconds sale with Noah and I didn't look super close at anything really. I took a quick look at the Draper and Positron but mainly just talked and fondled an S110V Para2 an a HAP 40 Endura. They had a Catcherman there and I spent a while talking myself out of that one too. I usually stop in on lunch break so I only have about a half hour. That seems like a lot of time until you walk into a room full of Spydies.
-Darby
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEj-0XsvyY