Native 5...why did it take me so long?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uke

Native 5...why did it take me so long?

Post by Uke »

Hello all,

Now obviously the Native 5 isn't what you'd call a new release so I admit this won't be the most groundbreaking review! :p Still, I wanted to post my thoughts as no other locker has been able to compete with this for pocket time since I picked it up over a year ago! In fact my satisfaction with this knife is one of the main reasons that I haven't been posting regular knife reviews lately, as I've been happy just using my Native 5. Call me crazy! :) I have recently been pretty excited by the new Stretch 2 in Brown G10 so if I can manage to get my hands on one of those I'll be casting my beady eye over it, but for now here is what I've made of the Native 5...

Here are the stats from Spyderco:

length overall: 6.875 " (175 mm)
length closed: 4 " (102 mm)
blade length: 3 " (76 mm)
cutting edge: 2.438 " (62 mm)
blade thickness: .125 " (3 mm)
blade steel CPM: S35VN
handle material: G-10
weight: 3.7 oz. (105 g)

In terms of fit and finish this is the usual excellent quality from Golden...and I'd actually go as far to say that the Native 5 is the most tightly finished Spyderco that I've handled so far, surpassing in places the notoriously well finished Taichung Spydies. I'd previously read a lot about how well refined the back lock was on the Native 5 and with the knife in my hand it certainly hasn't disappointed. I'm used to having a little vertical play in a back lock but there is absolutely none whatsoever here. Snaps open tight as a drum and is still rock solid after over a year of use. With a firm application of pressure to the lock release the blade drops freely and effortlessly on its pivot. This back lock really is a joy to use! :) The pivot can grit up some after heavy (mucky!) use but a quick wash and a squirt of tuf-glide soon gets the action back to ice-skating smoothness again.

No Boye dent...

The fit of the liners and lock bar is so spot-on that you could be forgiven for thinking that they were one solid piece of metal. Beautifully smooth...

A very nice feature of the lock bar is the area of jimping at the tip. This lines up with the blade's upper jimping when the knife is locked open...

...it really helps the blade and handle feel like a single piece and, this may sound strange, but in the hand the Native reminds me a little of the Street Beat. In fact the Street Beat was part of why I ended up finally trying this knife. One of the reasons I held off buying a Native for so long was the lack of the classic Spyderco thumb ramp...I'm a huge fan of the Caly and all of its assorted offspring so viewed the flat top of the Native's blade with wary suspicion. Then one day it dawned on me that since I get on so well with the 'ramp-less' Street Beat design, maybe I should give the Native a shot.

I do love a thumb ramp, but then it's also nice to choke up on the blade completely unimpeded :) ...

All the security you really need comes from a nice deep lower choil with the same nicely executed 'Goldilocks' jimping...not too rough, not too smooth, just right...

If I had to describe how the Native 5 feels in the hand with a single word, I'd say 'solid'. It has the ergos and control of a knife like the Caly 3 or the UKPK, but with an added, utilitarian 'brawn'. This maybe comes from the wide-ish handle (only 1mm thinner than the Manix 2), or perhaps just from how sturdy the whole package feels when locked open. Something about the feel of this knife certainly inspires confidence anyway and I find myself throwing it around a lot more than other blades that I tend to baby.

Comparison shots in-hand (clockwise from top left - Native 5, Manix 2, Pingo, Urban):

Size comparison next to the Manix 2:

Size comparison between a couple of slippies, the Urban (top) and the Pingo (bottom):

The G10 handle scales are nice and grippy with a smooth chamfer to aid access to the Spydie-hole. The handle also accommodates a decently sized lanyard hole that will take a single pass of 550 cord...

...not quite as spacious as the larger barrel found on the Para 2 or Manix 2 etc. that will take a double pass of 550...

The Native's four way pocket clip is the solid hour-glass version. I'm still torn over the pocket clip issue...I love how sturdy and hard-using these hour-glass clips are (and it certainly feels appropriate on the rugged little Native 5) however for knives this short and relatively low profile the wire-clip is always going to win out in terms of discreet pocket carry...

The Native 5 sticking out like a sore thumb between the wire-clipped Pingo (left) and the Urban (right):

I had hoped that the new lightweight version of the Native 5 would use a wire clip but alas, it wasn't to be. Being a back-lock, blade retention in the pocket is no problem. The blade self-close is nice and strong with the blade snapping reassuringly firmly back into the handle. You won't be flipping this one open in a hurry but the thumb folding action is still super smooth one-handed.

This is how far the blade has to be out of the handle before overcoming the self-close:

So then, how is the Native at a knife's number one job? Well to do all its slicey, cutty, choppy stuff it relies on a nice healthy slab of CPM-S35VN...

...this was my first experience of S35VN and to be completely honest it's felt pretty much like S30V to me. It sharpens pretty much the same, retains it's edge pretty much the same and I haven't had any issues with rolling or chipping (again pretty much identical to my experiences with S30V). There may be some difference I'm just not detecting, but in my own day to day use I'd be happy with either the 30V or the 35VN and just can't tell the difference. Maybe I'm not the steel connoisseur that I thought I was! :D

Throughout my use I've kept the edge at 30 degrees inclusive which has held up well for me.

Out and about...

All in all this is a very solid mid-sized EDC blade and has unexpectedly become my go-to locker. If you like Spyderco's 'choily' ergos this melts into the hand in that familiar Spyderco way, albeit without that thumb ramp. You could certainly call me a knife 'collector' or 'fanatic' :rolleyes: and I do appreciate some blades more for aesthetic reasons (I'm sure many here can relate to this!) but the Native 5 has certainly earned its way into a small pool of my kit that I regard as my primary tools, separate from my many cases of collector-itis!

Well I'm sure I've forgotten something important as usual, but hopefully someone finds this post useful! Just in case it wasn't clear...I approve of the Native 5 :)

Cheers for now,

Uke.

Last edited by Uke on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMaximus

Re: Native 5...why did it take me so long?

Post by MadMaximus »

Great review! I'm a big Native 5 fan myself. It is one of my go-to blades. You were spot on about the pocket clip, I fixed that with a Casey Lynch titanium pocket clip. The new clip didn't impact the great ergos either.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Native 1 was my first Spydie 15 years ago and I'm currently waiting for the Native 5 lw, finally lightweight and flat ground!!
Very happy to see this great thumbrampless blade in a flat grind as well.
Let's hope Dutch customs get a move on, they've had it for 12 days now.... :(
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Great review, I really enjoyed reading it!
And I love the phrase
Uke wrote: ice-skating smoothness
Artfully descriptive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ah, Roman will be proud. ;):) Excellent review and great pics! Nicely done.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Thanks for the review! Do you find that you always use the choil when holding the knife? I tried out one of the lightweight versions of the knife and was surprised that it didn't really seem to suit my hand - I prefer the option of using the choil or just gripping the handle, and found that with the lightweight my large-sized hand didn't fit on the handle.

Perhaps it's time for me to revisit this model...

Bruno
swigert

Post by swigert »

Fantastic review. The only variant I have if he native 5 is the CF S110V. I would grab a g10 if I ever saw one in stock when I was in a knife buying mood.

Hopefully both the native 5 and yojimbo 2 see increased production with the new facility opening in golden.

Again, great review!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

This review would have inclined me to seek out a Native5, if I had not done so already. Fun to see how our impressions are much the same. Thanks for your evocative effort.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Double tap. Sorry.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed May 20, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Very nice review Uke...

I have also grown very fond of my Native 5, but after two small mods:
- I softened the edges of the G10, this has really transformed the ergos from blocky to melt-in-the-hand comfy.
- I swapped out the standard pocket clip for a Casey Lynch short deep carry clip. It now works great as a discreet office knife.

(this was before I rounded the edges of the G10)

I agree, this knife is a little bulldog, almost like a mini Manix with a back lock. I still prefer the Manix for its longer blade and longer handle, but the Native has earned itself a worthy place in my collection amongst the 3 inchers I regularly carry at the office.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
BTG

Post by BTG »

Big N5 fan, love everything about it, and was quite glad they didn't go with the wire clip like they did on the manix, the chaparral and sage fit that bill, please leave something for us folks that can't stand paper clips. Great review though, it is a great knive, not too big, not too small, and like the others have said, aftermarket deep pocket clips will fix that right up for ya. I've done most of my EDC choices....besides these 4, I pretty much just throw in a manbug or a neck knife now and then.
BTG

Post by BTG »

image.jpg
BTG wrote:Big N5 fan, love everything about it, and was quite glad they didn't go with the wire clip like they did on the manix, the chaparral and sage fit that bill, please leave something for us folks that can't stand paper clips. Great review though, it is a great knive, not too big, not too small, and like the others have said, aftermarket deep pocket clips will fix that right up for ya. I've done most of my EDC choices....besides these 4, I pretty much just throw in a manbug or a neck knife now and then.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Are you allowed to carry it in England?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have wanted a N5 for a while, but, as I have been informed, if I do not elect to use the choil it might be too small for my hand. I use a Delica nicely, but I have been informed on this forum that the N5 would be a tad small. I find the BM Mini Grip too small, for example. The Delica is just right. If this is not the case, someone with large hands please correct me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Doc Dan wrote:I have wanted a N5 for a while, but, as I have been informed, if I do not elect to use the choil it might be too small for my hand. I use a Delica nicely, but I have been informed on this forum that the N5 would be a tad small. I find the BM Mini Grip too small, for example. The Delica is just right. If this is not the case, someone with large hands please correct me.
I have large hands and I can get a full grip on the N5 however I then find the blade is too far away to make effective cuts so using the choil is necessary. Here are a couple of pics for you:

When open both knives are the same size

When closed the Delica is slightly longer

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Uke

Post by Uke »

Thanks guys!
MadMaximus wrote:Great review! I'm a big Native 5 fan myself. It is one of my go-to blades. You were spot on about the pocket clip, I fixed that with a Casey Lynch titanium pocket clip. The new clip didn't impact the great ergos either.
Bruno[/quote]
Brock O Lee wrote:...I swapped out the standard pocket clip for a Casey Lynch short deep carry clip. It now works great as a discreet office knife...
Hmm, I might have to try one of these clips then.
glbpro wrote:Thanks for the review! Do you find that you always use the choil when holding the knife? I tried out one of the lightweight versions of the knife and was surprised that it didn't really seem to suit my hand - I prefer the option of using the choil or just gripping the handle, and found that with the lightweight my large-sized hand didn't fit on the handle...
Doc Dan wrote:I have wanted a N5 for a while, but, as I have been informed, if I do not elect to use the choil it might be too small for my hand. I use a Delica nicely, but I have been informed on this forum that the N5 would be a tad small. I find the BM Mini Grip too small, for example. The Delica is just right. If this is not the case, someone with large hands please correct me.
I use both the choil grip and the handle grip but then I don't have the largest hands. The Native's handle fits me perfectly but I can see how people with larger mitts may struggle with a behind-the-choil grip. You can get a reasonable idea of my hand size in the comparison shots in the review and I take a 'Medium' in Mechanix gloves. Hope that helps!
Uke

Post by Uke »

Donut wrote:Are you allowed to carry it in England?
If you've got a 'good reason' then yes. If you can't reasonably justify the need for a locker to a copper/court then it's best to just take a sub 3'' slippie. Obviously it's all a bit complicated and there are exceptions and caveats all over the shop, but that's the basic gist of it.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Great review! I have the Moonglow and Spyderco Forums versions of the N5 and I really love them both. I took the clop off of the glow version and it gets slipped into jacket pockets quite often. The other one gets clipped mostly to bag pockets due to the high riding nature of it, but still gets carried quite a bit. Great size and ergonomics.
GronK

Post by GronK »

It took a while, but I finally got used to the short handle/big choil ergos and now my go-to grip when opening them is choked up with my index finger in the choil on my N5, PM2 and Mili. The problem now is that with my Enduras, Delicas and other non-choil knives my muscle memory wants to put my finger up on the blade! :eek:
Uke

Post by Uke »

GronK wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:...The problem now is that with my Enduras, Delicas and other non-choil knives my muscle memory wants to put my finger up on the blade! :eek:
I hear you on this one! I ended up moving on my Southard as I just didn't trust myself...it's so inbuilt into me now to flip out a folder and automatically sink my index finger into the choil...not a good move if there's no choil there :D