Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you are aware I'm a big fan of many of the older Spyderco models going even back to the late 90s. I"ve even said that my all time favorite Spyderco models of all time are in what I affectionately like to call "THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS ( 1998 to 2003). But on the other hand I really also like some of the newer blade and handle materials they are making many of these newer models with. Like some of the newer/better blade steels like XHP, 10V, 3V along with many other great blade steels from CPM and Carpenter with the great Japanese blade steels.

I love many of the newer handle materials as well>> the new generation of G-10 and Micarta are both great and I would love to see them used on older/past models. One model for instance I would like to see updated would be the Dodo with something like 10V.

So which older models would you all like to see with what newer updated blade and handle materials? Or how about a C-60 Ayoob in H-1 or even the newer nitrogen based steel that they are using on the TUSK model? I"m not the only one who has suggested an H-1 Ayoob.

Also what about Spyderco's fixed blades with different and newer materials. To me Sprint Runs are even better with revamped materials. I would also sure like to try out some of the newer blade steels in Spyderedged models as well. So what would be your dream Spyderco Sprint model?
Knivesinedc

Re: Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Post by Knivesinedc »

I would really like to see renewed version of the salsa. Maybe with s35vn and Orange or brown G10 scales, milled liners(?) or maybe a desert tan, SE, black blade version! I would snatch that up like nobody's business! I always thought the Salsa was a really cool little knife, unfortunately I was only ever able to fondle one a bit. Never owned one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knivesinedc wrote:I would really like to see renewed version of the salsa. Maybe with s35vn and Orange or brown G10 scales, milled liners(?) or maybe a desert tan, SE, black blade version! I would snatch that up like nobody's business! I always thought the Salsa was a really cool little knife, unfortunately I was only ever able to fondle one a bit. Never owned one.
I've thought a lot about the Salsa model myself. It seemed like the only one they really did up right was the Titanium Salsa which had ATS-34 blade steel. That's why I would like to see a revamped version of the Dodo>> I think a Dodo with one of the Supersteel blades would just be an awesome tool.

But again the Salsa was a very interesting model and became very collectible with the wide array of colors that everyone seemed to love at the time. Speaking of short bladed Spyderco models I've often wondered with the PROGRIP model would be like with another type of handle and better blade steel. It was a really nice piece just the way it was. There are a lot of short bladed Spyders that truly would have a rebirth of popularity if they would enhance the materials.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'm pretty much game for anything done in H1
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Knivesinedc wrote:I would really like to see renewed version of the salsa.
I'd love that. Count me in! Blue, orange, maybe even red. I always thought it was such a neat little knife and deserved a spot in my inventory, but they sure are hard to find nowadays.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Centofante4 in ZDP
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

XHP Endura for the win!
grewich

Post by grewich »

Serrated h1 captain orange g10
Superblue captain grey g10

You know you want 'em
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Only this: Michael Walker in Super Blue and CF. :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Centofante4 in ZDP

Any day now. I'd also like SB and a screw pivot while we're at it.

Actually my ultimate would just be an updated Vesuvius with compression lock improvements and a modern steel.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'd like to see the Pacific Salt SE and D'Allara Rescue in LC200N. The Tusk might be handy in SE too.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I'm a pretty basic knife guy and I'd get pretty excited to see the C03 Hunter with modern build materials. I'd buy several. Do a happy dance and everything.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Knivesinedc wrote:I would really like to see renewed version of the salsa. Maybe with s35vn and Orange or brown G10 scales, milled liners(?) or maybe a desert tan, SE, black blade version! I would snatch that up like nobody's business! I always thought the Salsa was a really cool little knife, unfortunately I was only ever able to fondle one a bit. Never owned one.
Sal mentioned sometime back (later part of last year I think) the possibility of a Sprint Run Salsa and was asking what we all thought. I thought it was a great idea and I would love to see this knife in updated materials and steels.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

grewich wrote:Serrated h1 captain orange g10
Superblue captain grey g10

You know you want 'em
There are so many of the past models I would like to see in the H-1 Salt Series and I'll second your motion for an H-1 Captain model>> however I do want a Spyderedged version this go-around. I'm sure "Surfingringo" would agree with me on that one too ;)

Two others I would love to see in the H-1 Salt series would be the C-60 Ayoob model and a serrated version of the SUPERHAWK in the H-1 Salt series as well.

For a long time I've also wanted to see a revamped version of the C-60 Ayoob in either XHP or S90V. Also a Spyderedged DODO model either in M-4 or XHP.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DougC-3 wrote:I'd like to see the Pacific Salt SE and D'Allara Rescue in LC200N. The Tusk might be handy in SE too.
Doug I would sure give you a super "high five on those last two you mentioned. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't offer up the TUSK model in Spyderedge :confused: Being it is target marketed for the marine and fishing sector of the market you would think that a Spyderedged TUSK would be a given :confused:

The D'Allara in one of the nitrogen based steels just makes excellent sense all the way around>> It was truly a brute in that Rescue group of blades that Spyderco was doing in the early 2000s. Any Spyderco models that might be used for cutting rope or cordage or any fibrous material should be available in Spyderedge IMO.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Sage 2 in CTS-XHP. A more perfect knife.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sage 3 in XHP would be awesome too.

But since the point of the Sage is to showcase different locks with the "same" knife, I doubt we'll see changes in blade steel on that line up.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Not technically a Spyderco, but I would love to see the Solo line return. I recently snagged a Solo2, and this knife along with the (Solo1) with CF handles instead of Micarta would be great office carries. I love how thin they are and how little space they take up in the pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Invective wrote:Not technically a Spyderco, but I would love to see the Solo line return. I recently snagged a Solo2, and this knife along with the (Solo1) with CF handles instead of Micarta would be great office carries. I love how thin they are and how little space they take up in the pocket.
You've struck a sentimental nerve with me there "Invective" because there were a lot of the older makes of knives that Spyderco was promoting in the mid to late 90s>> SOLO was definitely one of them along with G-Sakai>> that one hunting knife that G-Sakai had with the stag handle is one I still keep my eye out for and to have that beautiful design in one of the new supersteels would be a dream come true IMO.

That's one reason I really treasure a lot of my old Spyderco catalogs>> it's a blast just to get them out occasionally to see some of the older Japanese works of art that Spyderco did sell at one time. The old IRONSTONE days truly had some collectible treasures to be sure.

Spyderco's first fixed blade being the MORAN model is one that I would love to see in one of the newer/better blade steels as well as wanting to get one in Spyderedge as well.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote: Actually my ultimate would just be an updated Vesuvius with compression lock improvements and a modern steel.
and 2mm thick blade.