Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: I Have to Recant My Rant

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:Recently, I purchased a Brand X and a Tenacious from an individual on a Jeep forum, new in the box. The Brand X is three times the price of the Tenacious. I was very disappointed with it and allowed my disfavor to bleed over onto my opinion of the Tenacious without even giving it a fair

The Brand X is a popular knife, just not with me. I plan to put it on eBay and use the proceeds to obtain my next Spyderco, maybe a C60 Ayoob, a hero of mine.
Anyone who is a fan of the C-60 Ayoob model is automatically a friend of mine ;) >> to me that is one of Spyderco's most overlooked and underrated models in it's history. I had the luxury of snagging my first three of the Ayoob model back when you could still get it in full Spyderedge>> that folder is a mega-beast in full Spyderedge and in my opinion maybe the best full SE blade the company has ever produced IMO.

Even though we had one great updated Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model I would still love to see another Sprint Run of the Ayoob again and hopefully this time that they make a few available in SE>> I heard that Masad Ayoob himself didn't like his design in SE and that disappoints me to hear that.

The ergos of the Ayoob C-60 model to me is about the best I've ever owned. I've even had thoughts of what a fixed blade C-60 Ayoob would be like.
dialex

Re: Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Post by dialex »

JD Spydo wrote: Hey Dialex I'll go you one better than that>> how about a Yellow G-10 handled Caly Jr. in H-1 or maybe even that new nitrogen based steel LC200N.
Hello JD. This would go only if it were unlinered G-10, otherwise you'd need titanium liners to match the H1.
I'm pretty sure some people can live with titanium and H1 though. They can even accept CF instead of G-10 ;)
JD Spydo

Re: Older Spyder models; Updated Materials?

Post by JD Spydo »

dialex wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: Hey Dialex I'll go you one better than that>> how about a Yellow G-10 handled Caly Jr. in H-1 or maybe even that new nitrogen based steel LC200N.
Hello JD. This would go only if it were unlinered G-10, otherwise you'd need titanium liners to match the H1.
I'm pretty sure some people can live with titanium and H1 though. They can even accept CF instead of G-10 ;)
For some strange reason I'm really excited about this new LC200N Nitrogen based steel that they've used in the TUSK model and I'm sure they are going to use in more models to come. I've heard it holds an edge ( plain edge that is) better than H-1 does but I haven't heard anything about how it would perform in Spyderedge. With H-1 being great in Spyderedge I just have to believe that this LC200N steel might even be better. I'm sure there is a valid reason that Spyderco took a liking to it.

After SURFINGRINGO"S great article in blade magazine I think the stage is set for even more corrosion free cutlery products. I think we've only seen the tip of a big iceberg in that arena.

And DIALEX what are your thoughts on the new nitrogen based steel LC200N? Also I've been meaning to ask you what would you think of your ADVENTURA model being done as a SPrint run in Spyderedge?