Dialex Junior Review: Massively Underrated Folding Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Steel_Drake

Dialex Junior Review: Massively Underrated Folding Knife

Post by Steel_Drake »

(Please note this review is cross-posted from this thread ( http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?6,47573) on Cliff Stamp's forum where I post more).

Introduction

A while back my lovely wife found me one of the last remaining Spyderco Dialex Junior's available on-line from within Canada. The design of this knife had intrigued me for some time, I really liked the knuckle clearance and grip-security that the handle offered, and I liked the ratio of cutting-edge length to handle length in a non-threatening looking package.

Handle Design

The Junior features flow through construction which facilitates cleaning quickly and drying fully without potentially trapping water inside the pivot. The most striking aspect of the Junior's design is the deep knuckle recess which also serves a solid finger guard providing excellent indexing and security against slipping forward onto the blade in most grips, particularly sabre and reverse edge-out. While I am not a big believer in using knifes for self defence, I can still appreciate the incredible grip-security this design provides.

The pocket clip design is worth noting as it appears odd at first glance that the Junior features a wire pocket-clip of similar design to that on the Caly and a few other models, but that it is not a looped deep carry clip as found on other wire clip Spyderco models. I figured out the apparent reasoning as soon as I tried the knife with a looped wire clip from one of my Caly's: The looped section at the end of the clip will hot-spot badly on the inside of your pinky knuckle, and that hot-spotting is eliminated by the shape of wire clip actually used.

One great feature the Junior has is that the balance point of the knife is right on the index finger in a sabre or hammer grip. I hadn't really put much thought into the balance point of my folding knives previously, but the excellent in-hand feeling and controllability provided by the perfectly neutral front-to-back balance was such a positive experience that I began noticing its absence on other small folding and fixed-blade knives.

It is important to note that this handle is only suitable for those with small to medium sized hands as there is only 3.5" from the inside of the knuckle recess to the back of the handle. This fits my small hands quite easily, but it will be a major issue for those with large hands. With that caveat noted, the handle design worked extremely well for me in the grips I typically use: Sabre and paring. I've taken photos to show that the handle appears to also work well in pinch, reverse edge-out, and hammer grips. Probably hammer least of all of those, but I basically never use that grip so I cannot say with any confidence.

Finally, the G10 liners on the Junior are the highest traction I've felt on any Spyderco I've handled (all non-US), the G10 liners are also chamfered to improve comfort, though the insides of the steel liners are not, which could present an issue of hot-spotting in hard use. My typical uses, and blade grinds, tend to obviate needing to use much force, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Blade Design

One of the stand out features of the blade design of the Junior is that it yields what is probably the best cutting-edge length to blade and handle length ratio of any Spyderco model. It packs 3.125" of cutting-edge into a 3.218" blade length and 4.125" handle length, and because of the relatively non-aggressive blade shape, this means you get a 3.125" cutting edge in a package that is not likely to scare non-knife people if used in public. By way of comparison, a PM2 has a 3.078" cutting edge in a 3.438" blade length and 4.812" handle length.

The Junior features a compression lock design. This style of lock is apparently significantly more resistant to failure than a liner lock, and has the convenience and safety of being able to be used without ever putting your hands in the blade's closure path, and allowing the knife to be closed without moving one's hands from opening it. While this is the same type of lock as that found on a Paramilitary 2, it lacks the PM2's liner recess that allows the blade to swing freely while the lock is pressed in.

This design choice was apparently made deliberately by the designer as a safety feature given the originally targeted audience. Even so, if you keep the stop-bar slightly loose and you use good lube on the plastic washers and the ball-bearing, it is quite possible to have the blade flick fully closed one-handed. Also, because the stop-bar has more of an influence on opening and closing speed than the pivot, the pivot can be kept fairly tight without impeding one's ability to fidget by flicking the knife open and closed repeatedly.

The blade is 3mm at the spine, but is relatively tall, yielding a fairly low primary bevel angle of ~3.75 degrees per side (DPS}. It features a limited distal taper beginning about half-way down the spine towards the tip, and a moderately sturdy tip. Moderately sturdy in the sense of a little sturdier than a Delica, about the same as a Caly 3.5, and weak compared to "hard-use" Spydercos. The blade arrived at 0.030" thick at the shoulder of the transition between the primary grind and the edge-bevel, which was at ~20 DPS, but ground perfectly even side-to-side (i.e. the primary and edge bevel grinds match on both sides of the blade very well). Blade centring was also perfect.

The blade is made of VG-10 steel, which Spyderco has a well established history of using to good effect, and should work reasonably well for anyone not looking for extremely high or low carbide steel for some specific reason. I'll simply note that I sharpen my EDC knives well before they get dull enough that the wear resistance of the steel would make a significant difference, and leave it at that. While VG-10 is reasonably easy to sharpen, it should be noted that the deeply and continuously curved blade shape of the Junior could make it a pain to sharpen, depending on your technique. As I use a heel-to-tip stroke when I sharpen, it hasn't really bothered me.

Another thing worth noting from a sharpening perspective is that the Junior actually comes with a sharpening notch at the heel of the blade. This is excellent for making it easier to sharpen the heel of the blade and preventing the formation of a re-curve directly in front of the ricasso. Unfortunately, as pictured below, the factory grind of the knife sort of nullified that advantage for most purchasers by including a re-curve at the heel of the blade right from the factory. As I have very coarse benchstones (including my trusty Norton Crystolon coarse), it wasn't a problem for me to grind out that re-curve, but it could be a real pain for someone without very coarse benchstones and the comfort to alter the geometry to eliminate the issue.

In Use

I've been using the Junior as my EDC knife on and off for over a month now, and including it in comparisons with other knives I own or currently have on loan to me. Initially the Junior arrived quite dull, particularly by comparison to the typical level of sharpness of NIB Spyderco knives. I would have sharpened it immediately anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me.

To contextualize my comments of this knife in use it is important to understand that my EDC tasks typically include food prep, slicing cardboard, opening clamshell packaging, and other similar tasks. I don't even whittle, much less do anything that could be construed as hard-use. Based on this use pattern, I tend to prefer, and modify my knives to have, fairly high performance cutting geometries that minimize the force necessary to complete cuts. This should be obvious based on the near full-zero grind on my Caly 3.5 and the 1/16" at the spine custom Joe Calton 1095 Carter Pattern Necker included as size references above, and the scandi/ffg hybrid I've turned my Junior into.

Basically, this means I am not the person to ask about whether this knife is suitable for hard-use, or to complain to that my review is biased towards cutting performance versus utility as a prying instrument.

With the fairly obtuse geometry the knife arrived with, it's performance in EDC tasks was a contrast between loving the handle, blade shape, and overall balance of the knife, but being frustrated by the thickness behind the edge. Based on stock geometries, you can basically expect the Junior to outperform a Caly 3.5 as it has the same thickness at the spine, but a taller blade profile, and a more deeply curved cutting-edge.

After playing around with the Junior a bit at the stock geometry, I decided I had better lower it if I was going to be able to evaluate the knife by comparison to others I already have. I re-profiled my Junior using a Norton Crystolon coarse (~500 passes per side), then cleaned up the new bevel with the Crystolon fine, before moving to a Naniwa Chosera 400 waterstone and a Naniwa Aotoshi 2000 waterstone, both were used very muddy to avoid burr formation. The resulting geometry is a ~7.5 DPS edge bevel that is at 0.032" at the shoulder, but of course that shoulder is much higher than stock. It is closer to ~0.010" thick where the stock transition to the primary grind was.

Finally, I applied a micro-bevel using the Spyderco Sharpmaker F rods on the 15 DPS setting making ~10 very light pps, 1 de-burring pps at 30 dps, and then ~5 very very light pps on the F rods again. At that point it was push cutting newsprint across the grain at 90 degrees trivially from any point on the edge, causing leg-hair to leap off the skin on contact, etc.

The deep and deeply curved belly of the blade allow it to be used to chop narrower items against a cutting board due to the knuckle clearance, and easily allow slicing against a cutting board without any knuckle clearance issues, and the comparatively generous cutting-edge length combined with the high tip, allow clearance for slicing through relatively thick material.

That curve also allows the Junior to be utilized as a paring knife much more easily than you would expect as it allows peeling in narrower and shallower strips than you would anticipate based on looking at the blade-height. The blade aligning with he top of the spine facilitates a paring grip with the index finger curled onto the blade and the thumb not too far from the edge, aiding control in paring use.

One of my major initial concerns with the blade design for this knife was that the tip would not have sufficient piercing ability for my use, but I didn't find that to be an issue even with dual layered clamshell packaging. Of course it doesn't have quite the piercing ability of a Caly 3.5, but it hasn't proved to be an issue for me.

Otherwise, the knife excels in use on clamshell packaging, cardboard, etc. due to excellent ergonomics, balance, and the low primary grind angle resulting from the relatively tall blade. Here again the deep curve of the blade is advantageous it increases the slicing action when the knife is pulled straight down through a material at 45 degrees by presenting a significant curve to the material. The effect was quite noticeable when used side by side with a less curved blade.

As I noted earlier, I don't use my knives with a lot of force (and, if fact, my geometry and edge-finishes are chosen specifically to minimize the force necessary to make cuts), so I can't really provide much useful commentary on how comfortable the handle would be in extended use with a lot of force. My assumption based on most folders I've seen is that if you chamfered the inside corners of the liners you'd have as comfortable a flow-through construction handle as you are going to get (since the G10 is already chamfered).

Value

Here we come to my primary criticism of this knife. For all the positives going for it, it's pricing and limited availability present significant drawbacks. For it's originally specified target audience of being a first knife for young people, the pricing was going to immediately preclude it from consideration. For the rest of us, when you look at what you could buy a VG-10 Caly 3.5 for even before they were put on sale this year, it is going to be hard to convince people to spend the extra on the Junior.

Conclusion

Quite simply, the Junior is my current favourite folding knife design. It's a design shows the kind of functionality that is possible when utility and ergonomics rather than aesthetics are the focus of a folding knife design, and is only let by being hand-size dependent, being marketed to a demographic that would never be given a knife costing nearly this much, and still being expensive for adult folding knife buyers likely to be turned off by the marketing and overtly non-threatening appearance.

Basically, if you are lucky enough to have hands that will fit the handle of the Junior and can stomach the price, I strongly recommend taking a serious look at it while you can still get one. This model is so underrated that on a 7 page thread on the Spyderco forum (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67529) about the most-underrated models it was mentioned by one member. That does not bode well for its continuing availability.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Steel_Drake!

And THNX MUCH for this outstanding review. :)

The Dialex Junior caught my attention from the very first moment I saw it, and after I got mine I realized how well designed it is.

You numbered the multiple advantages of this design, and it looks to me the main reason for such (truly) underrated market response would only be the price.

And even so, it is a fantastic option for EDC / Utility blade, without any doubt. And price wise, it is a way better option than many other blades in the same price range. :cool:
jabba359

Re: Dialex Junior Review: Massively Underrated Folding Knife

Post by jabba359 »

Steel_Drake wrote:Conclusion

Quite simply, the Junior is my current favourite folding knife design. It's a design shows the kind of functionality that is possible when utility and ergonomics rather than aesthetics are the focus of a folding knife design, and is only let by being hand-size dependent, being marketed to a demographic that would never be given a knife costing nearly this much, and still being expensive for adult folding knife buyers likely to be turned off by the marketing and overtly non-threatening appearance.

Basically, if you are lucky enough to have hands that will fit the handle of the Junior and can stomach the price, I strongly recommend taking a serious look at it while you can still get one. This model is so underrated that on a 7 page thread on the Spyderco forum (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67529) about the most-underrated models it was mentioned by one member. That does not bode well for its continuing availability.
Great, thorough review on a very underrated knife. In fact, of the 70 Spyderco folders I have, the Junior is one of only 6 that I have bought a backup for. Since it was discontinued last year, it's possible (within the US) to pick it up at a moderately affordable price right now, but I wouldn't expect stock to be available for a whole lot longer. Unfortunately, it wasn't popular enough to get a Super Blue sprint, which is the version I really would have liked to see.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks for the write-up. Never really considered this one. The comparisons with the Caly were nice, I always pictured the Junior as being larger than that for some reason, despite the name.
:spyder:
Uke

Post by Uke »

Fantastic review...a thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Junior is definitely an underrated and fantastic knife.

I've actually squirreled away a couple spares for my kids to have in a few years. Mine is already in use. :)

BTW, is that a Carter knife in the comparison photo?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I heartily agree with your review, it is a really nice knife.

IMO, there are several factors involved in the success of this knife. Dialex' original design, collaboration with Spyderco, especially conforming the design to the Spyderco design specifications and the manufacturing expertise of Spyderco, including the specifications and processing of materials.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

TomAiello wrote: BTW, is that a Carter knife in the comparison photo?
The small fixed blade is a Joe Calton piece in triple-quenched 1095 carbon steel made based on a Carter knife pattern from his book 101 Knife Designs. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about it as it is off topic for this forum.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately this knife was a massive let down for me. It wasn't so much that it was a poor design, it was just way too small for my hand. I could barely get 4 fingers on the handle, and due to the size of the handle vs my hand, the curve of the handle just didn't flow with my fingers and it felt horrible. Beyond that, I'm not a fan of blades with this much up swept tip, but I tried very hard to get around everything because I think the handle design is pure genius. If the whole package was made just 1/2 inch or so longer in the handle and blade, It would probably be my EDC right now.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Here's my Junior with natural linen micarta, an acid/stonewash, and a super-thin mirror edge bevel:

My only three qualms with the Junior are (1) the grippiness of the G10 makes using the clip a little difficult; (2) the "DIALEX" logo on the blade is a bit ugly in my opinion; and (3) I'm not a fan of the lanyard hole and left-side carry clip cutout, just aesthetically speaking. The above modifications fixed all three.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Thanks for the review. I agree the Junior is a very well-designed knife, very fit for purpose as a first folding knife for the young or those with smaller hands. Personally I found it too small for my hands, and I didn't like the white plastic washers and relatively ponderous opening and closing compared to other compression lock knives. This of course, was part of the design. As Alex himself mentioned in a post sometime ago, this knife was designed for "one hand opening, two hands closing!"

Bruno
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Thanks for posting your intense review!

I agree with much of it and I too carry a Dialex Junior often. Now I may consider thinning mine out as well.

By the way, mine works great as a one handed opener and closer. Compression lock works great.
The clip and grip do make somewhat tight fit on thicker pants, but better than the opposite effect.
Going back to Caly.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

One of my favorite Spydies of all time. I bought one and my youngest Son appropriated it from me. Bought a second and realized that I needed a backup. I now own three - and all three get carried and used regularly.

TedP
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Dialex Jr. also one of my favorites, gets carried lots. Had to buy a "pre-need replacement" just in case.

The marketing on the knife was off because "rough tough knife-using men don't carry kid's knives." I'm positive it would have been more popular if not profiled as a kid's first knife. I love it because it's very safe to use, lightweight, and a lot of edge in a small size.

Next generation ... Ouroboros? Similar in a lot of ways.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70189&p=1074896#p1074896
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This knife was near grail material for me until I found that my hands are just too big for it. If they ever make a Junior XL, I'll be first in line for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:This knife was near grail material for me until I found that my hands are just too big for it. If they ever make a Junior XL, I'll be first in line for it.
Word is that Dialex is working on exactly that. It is called the Senior or something like that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Rayo

Post by Rayo »

What a fantastic review, the best I have ever seen! I bought this knife when it first came out and for me it has everything I could want in a folder. I will not belabor the many features I love but the genius handle design is at the top of the list. Hate to admit it but she is a safe queen. My dog tag will probably see more use. A fantastic review (did say that) a fantastic knife. Thanks Dialex and Spyderco. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all I want to sincerely thank Brother "Steel-Drake" for a very eloquent and sterling review on one of Brother Dialex's very celebrated designs i.e. the JUNIOR. It was so well done I really can say that it was truly professionally done ;) I've owned and used some of Brother Dialex's designs before>> one I particularly liked was his great recurve model the "Adventura". And I liked it a lot but did end up trading it because I became rather fond of another recurve Spyder known as the SPYKER model which ended up suiting me better for what I was using it for.

Let me say this because I've always like Brother Dialex and he is certainly one of our most valued Forum members. But I just can't see what the Junior model can do that my dearly beloved TEMPERANCE 1 model is capable of. The Junior model is probably one I doubt I'll ever own. Because after hearing EVIL D. comment on the fact that he didn't find the Junior to fit his hand very well>> whereas my TEMPERANCE 1 fits me perfectly. Because when it comes to certain models I tend to agree with with Brother EVIL and a couple of others I follow here at Spyderville.

But not every model of knife no matter how detailed the design is ideal for each individual. But I will say that the models that Dialex has designed that I ended up liking to are ones I happen to like a lot>> but I just can't say that about the Junior unfortunately.

But I do have to ask the question that constantly hovers around my eternal Spyder-Quest>> i do wonder what that model would be like in Spyderedge? Because there are times that a serrated edge makes it a game-changer for me. And I've got at least 2 dozen examples of that ;) But again that was a great review Brother!!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JD Spydo wrote:But I just can't see what the Junior model can do that my dearly beloved TEMPERANCE 1 model is capable of. The Junior model is probably one I doubt I'll ever own. Because after hearing EVIL D. comment on the fact that he didn't find the Junior to fit his hand very well>> whereas my TEMPERANCE 1 fits me perfectly.
I'm lost. Comparing the Dialex Jr to the Temperance 1? I don't understand. Temperance 1 is a big fixed blade isn't it? Dialex Jr is a lightweight folder. Fits my hands great, and I usually buy a "Large" glove, although I can understand how someone with XL hands would want a larger folder.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

brancron wrote:Here's my Junior with natural linen micarta, an acid/stonewash, and a super-thin mirror edge bevel:

I love the way that turned out!

I really wanted the Dialex Jr, but it is too small for my hand. I wish they would introduce this knife with a longer handle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050