Tighe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Tighe

Post by SpyderNut »

Tip up vs. Tip down: Both have their benefits, as well as short-comings. Back when I first discovered pocket clips (and didn't really have any preferences), tip down suited me just fine. Then I stumbled onto the tip up configuration and I fell in love. ;) Having said that, however, I believe a lot of it really just depends on the design itself. I have to imagine that many custom makers who collab with Spyderco likely request a certain configuration on their design (e.g. Tip-down only on the Viele, etc.). As some of the others mentioned, I think Spyderco does an excellent job trying to incorporate the 4-way clip configuration on as many of their knives as possible.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Tip Down is the only way to carry large knives if you value ease of opening.
I can go either way on smallish knives, but I do agree with the comfort factor that tip up provides that smoother part of the knife towards your incoming hand. But join the club of carrying IWB or back pocket and that issue disappears.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Just ran across this. Looks like it could be very hard to open.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spyderc ... 1205%3B452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I only carry tip-up. I tend to glaze over any design that i cannot make tip-up (military, etc). The Tighe looks really nice. I would snag one if it was tip-up. There are plenty of Spydercos that i can snag. Missing a few due to tip-down is no huge loss :D

JD
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

DougC-3 wrote:Just ran across this. Looks like it could be very hard to open.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spyderc ... 1205%3B452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I handled it at the Amsterdam Meet myself- Looking back at my notes, I didn't scrawl down that is was difficult to open (There were a couple of pre-prod-prototypes where I did, so it's not an ommission on my part)....I seem to recall it being fairly smooth- if a fairly big knife.

Then again I own a Szabo folder and that's a steady-if-slow opening blade, working against the piston-closing mech.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Demon, that pic that he linked to is a photoshopped version of what it might look like without the hump. So people don't get confused, here are the actual pictures.

I'm not sure if Doug meant to say that without the hump it would be hard to open, or if he confused that pic for the actual version. Either way, it has the hump, and it's not hard to open. It is hard to put down though, it felt great in hand and those milled scales are phenomenal in person. Unfortunately, the rest of the design isn't my cup o noodle, and I have absolutely no idea where you'd actually use it!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

demoncase wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Just ran across this. Looks like it could be very hard to open.

I handled it at the Amsterdam Meet myself- Looking back at my notes, I didn't scrawl down that is was difficult to open (There were a couple of pre-prod-prototypes where I did, so it's not an ommission on my part)....I seem to recall it being fairly smooth- if a fairly big knife.

Then again I own a Szabo folder and that's a steady-if-slow opening blade, working against the piston-closing mech.
I was talking about one of the Tighe Sticks pictured at the link in my post (and on the Blade forum's Amsterdam thread) which appears to have had the thumb hole ground off and redrilled under what remains of the bug. I gullibly took it for real but now realize it's just a clever shopping job because nothing more was said about it in the Blade thread and no photos are shown with it in the closed position, etc. Also I noticed they continued the jimping over the supposedly freshly ground section of the blade, which nobody this side of Golden could do :)

If the fellow who shopped it sees this I'm sure he'll get a huge belly laugh. In my defense, when I posted the link, I didn't know the picture was posted way back at the time of the Amsterdam meet but just saw it in a google image search *<:o) :p

I just watched Eric's Amsterdam video of the Tighe, and it does indeed seem very smooth to open.

Edit:
tvenuto wrote:Demon, that pic that he linked to is a photoshopped version of what it might look like without the hump. So people don't get confused, here are the actual pictures.

I'm not sure if Doug meant to say that without the hump it would be hard to open, or if he confused that pic for the actual version. Either way, it has the hump, and it's not hard to open. It is hard to put down though, it felt great in hand and those milled scales are phenomenal in person. Unfortunately, the rest of the design isn't my cup o noodle, and I have absolutely no idea where you'd actually use it!
I saw it in a google image search and for a while thought it was an actual modification, until I went to the Blade thread linked in the google search :o
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:Demon, that pic that he linked to is a photoshopped version of what it might look like without the hump. So people don't get confused, here are the actual pictures.

Aha- I was at work, so didn't have time to click on the link.....All ist klar :)