Poll - Flipperized Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Native flipper?

Yes
24%
No
57%
Don't care
19%

Total votes: 54

Johnnie1801

Poll - Flipperized Native 5?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

So I have been carrying my g10 Native 5 quite a lot recently and I'm enjoying it more and more. However, I was wondering if the knife could be converted into a flipper? The Native is not very wide (unlike the Dice) and I reckon it would be an excellent candidate to be "flipperized". I know there are many die-hard Native fans out there and I'm not asking for the Native to be replaced, just to add a flipper version into the line-up. It could be called something like the Native 5 F-Type?

We saw in the Amsterdam Meet threads that Spyderco are already planning on doing a flippin' Manix so why not the Native as well. As far as I know they would only need to cut out the blades with a flipper "button", remove the back lock and convert one of the steel liners into a liner-lock.

As much as I like using the Native, a flipper version would be something I would very much like to add to my collection. What do you guys think?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
wrdwrght

Re: Poll - Flipperized Native 5?

Post by wrdwrght »

Call me a purist, but for me Spyderco is about Sal's inventions, not others'.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

wrdwrght wrote:Call me a purist, but for me Spyderco is about Sal's inventions, not others'.
For me Spyderco is about great knives, whether they're designed by Sal, Eric, or one of the many collaborators like Gayle Bradley, Ed Schempp, Brad Southard, Michael Janich, etc. And this forum is a great place to bounce around ideas about knives like flipperized natives and what-not.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Johnnie1801 wrote:As much as I like using the Native, a flipper version would be something I would very much like to add to my collection. What do you guys think?
The flipper idea is interesting, but I would also love to see the Native platform used with different lock systems. A compression lock or CBBL Native would be the bees knees in my book.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would never buy a Native flipper but that blade would be so sweet with a compression lock!
(I'm waiting for my Native 5lw to edc and add to the collection of Native 1&3 lw)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Not to derail the flipper idea, but what about a Native with a Powerlock?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't care for flippers, especially on spydercos. I'm not saying they shouldn't exist or that spyderco shouldn't make them, I just won't be buying any of them.
paladin

Post by paladin »

voted "no."

A Native flipper would constitute a major reworking of the pivot and locking system...not to mention a different Carson-like tang...

The Native ergo's really compliment a mid lock...and nixing the Boye Dent was an upgrade, IMHO...

I see the N5's as being a very refined model especially in terms of the pivot & lock, I like the way it's been realized currently....

Not much could be done to improve the new LW Native 5 except make the handles FRN
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

I'd personally rather see a whole new flipper knife in the same price range <$100
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Some interesting thoughts already. I know that many of you hold the Native in high regards but I never meant that the current Native 5 should be replaced in the line-up. We will soon have a few options in the lw range (pe s35vn, pe s110v, se etc) so why not a couple of different options for the g10 Native? A flipper can give you very fast deployment which can be pretty useful at times.

The Native is an evolutionary knife and it has already spawned the Shaman with a comp' lock (Personally very excited about this one) and the Chief. I think it would be great to have such a good knife in different configurations.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm not against the idea, but I wouldn't be interested myself. For me, flippers are fun, but don't really add any usefulness over a Spydie hole. The flipper tab sticking out, usually gets in the way inside the pocket, and is the reason I've stopped carrying every flipper I own. I prefer a nice smooth profile along the spine when in the pocket. For faster deployment, I'd prefer a waved Native. But that's just my opinion.
:bug-red-white
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

gbelleh wrote: For faster deployment, I'd prefer a waved Native. But that's just my opinion.
That's an interesting option too. It would keep the same handle and back lock and the only change would be to the blade, and done correctly it wouldn't add much width to the knife.

Jon
BTG

Post by BTG »

I've been a native 5 fan since I first laid eyes on it...and for that reason I'm trying to decide which flipper to get, Domino, Dice, Bigger or smaller.....have not handled either but seem similarly shaped....different lock, and scales..but right in that native ballpark.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not interested. I think the Native is a finely integrated design and adding a flipper is not effective or necessary and would detract from the design and feel of the knife. I prefer a well made back lock on a folding knife. I also don't see the need for the various quick opening systems either. The only reason for those is to make a folder very quick to deploy into what is essentially a fixed blade. If one wants that for a fighting knife (which is what the "tactical" label really means) then carry a fixed blade designed for that. No moving parts to fail or confuse the operator.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MichaelScott wrote:Not interested. I think the Native is a finely integrated design and adding a flipper is not effective or necessary and would detract from the design and feel of the knife. I prefer a well made back lock on a folding knife. I also don't see the need for the various quick opening systems either. The only reason for those is to make a folder very quick to deploy into what is essentially a fixed blade. If one wants that for a fighting knife (which is what the "tactical" label really means) then carry a fixed blade designed for that. No moving parts to fail or confuse the operator.
Fast deployment isn't just for the tactical crowd. Lots of us want fast deployment (which is one reason why the Spyderhole was invented). A fixed blade is not desired by most consumers for a variety of reasons.

Flippers are NOT just about speed. It's also about reliable opening. I've got awesome knives that I don't carry because their thumb stud/disc adds a little uncertainty to the deployment. The hole is my preference but both are usable deployment methods.

I don't see the flipper playing well wih the backlock. Maybe the Native 5 is smooth enough, I don't have one. Seems like trouble.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Backlocks with flippers have been done already (ie. the SOG Twitch) so I guess it's feasible. Not very sure about the Native though. But it's an interesting idea anyway.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I'm sorry but I'm perhaps in the tiny majority now days who wish flippers would just go away. And I can't fathom the thought process behind the models that are put out that actually aren't a bad looking knife, but only offer it as a flipper with no thumbstuds.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Why is there so much rather strong opposition to the Flipper as a means of opening?

I too prefer the versatility of the Spyderhole, so not comparing here, but it just seems there is always VERY strong opinion about this... I've never experienced any detrimental effects or results from a Flipper equipped knife.
...the Flipper, it's one of the few opening devices that can be designed to go with others as well.

That said, I'm still incredibly anxious to see what this Shaman might be all about!!
Going back to Caly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Emerson Wave. Speed Asssist. Outburst. Those are quick opening systems to get the blade deployed as fast as possible. Why? The Spyder hole or thumb studs are effective one hand openers that don't require a mechanical leverage device or ball bearings. If it takes 0.67 seconds to swing open a non-assisted blade with your thumb and 0.2 seconds to flip an assisted blade open, what's the value in saving 0.47 seconds in a normal (non "tactical" ) use scenario? Not much.

If one wants to deploy that 3.5" blade as fast as possible to slice up that cardboard before it has a chance to react, then that's ok but I wouldn't tell too many people about it or put it on YouTube.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

"Sunday Sunday Sunday! Come see shards of metal move positions 180 degrees in 0.21 seconds at the 18th annual folding knife drag races!
Bracket racing between the Flipper boys vs the Wave Racers, and The Studs vs Black Holes"
But man, would there ever be outrage if you put a Flipper big block into a chassis of a Emerson Wave. Sacrilege and madness. :rolleyes:
Going back to Caly.