BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Post by swigert »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
FK wrote:Red Locktite and screws,,, very easy to remove with a soldering iron and small tip or wood burning tool,,, apply tip directly to screw socket for a few seconds and the Locktite gives up. Hair dryer or heat gun will only heat up the entire knife G10 and liner,,, not very efficient to transfer heat directly to the Locktite.

Get a set of Wiha torx drivers,,,, 10 pc set for $18,,,,,, well worth the investment.

Regards,
FK
Hi FK, thanks for your comments, I'm sure the others here appreciate hearing these common tips...

As you mention, the hair dyer heats up the entire knife in that area, not just the G10 and liner but also the screws and surrounding Loctite. Since metal has such high thermal conductivity, there is absolutely no issue achieving the same effect with 1 min or so of the hair dryer. Applying a hot soldering iron tip to the screw head directly will of course heat it efficiently as well, but you better make sure your hand doesn't slip or you're going to possibly hit the surrounding G10. Multiply that probability for all 6 screws and then decide for yourself whether the hair dryer or a hot soldering iron is the tool of choice for preserving your valuable investment. Plus, I have no issue of potentially discoloring the screws by hitting them with a high heat source directly.

I have a very nice set of Torx drivers. Again, the torque available at the end of the vice grips handle is far more than one could EVER achieve with any Torx driver, expensive or cheap...

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about Steve's scale set! Cheers, Radioactive
You use Wiha?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

swigert wrote:Just checked tracking. Looks mine will be here tomorrow instead of Tuesday. Can't wait!
Mine's sitting in my Post Office, to be delivered tomorrow too. If it had got here 4 hours earlier, I would have got it Saturday. It's not too unusual for me to get things from 2000 miles away in two days, but I just missed it this time.

I have a set of Wiha bits which came in a green plastic box which could be used as a driver handle in a pinch, but I use the handles from other cheap sets I have on hand. I think Wiha are the very best and probably most accurately sized, but I also sometimes use my old bits from Lowes if they happen to give me a snugger fit in the particular screw in question. So far I've never stripped out a screw head on a knife (knocking on my head -- :p )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

swigert wrote: You use Wiha?
I bought a Wiha micro torx key set about ten years ago, which has seen constant use ever since, I have only had to dress one bit head in all that time and that was because of a cell phone fastener that was soldered in from the back side of the circuit board, where I couldn't see the solder!

If Bondhus made a set like that I would probably have bought it instead, based on my fifteen years of owning one of their ball driver sets, but IMO Wiha comes a *very* close second as far as sizing and strength of their bits/tool tips.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I use a Calavera Torx Driver with a set of Wiha bits. The shaft of the driver has a hex profile that allows me to use a small crescent wrench to get the leverage needed to break the tougher screws loose. I haven't stripped any screws as of yet.

I had a set of cheap torx drivers from Lowe's and I managed to twist one of the bits like it was soft-serve ice cream.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

+1 on getting quality torx bits. I buggered all three clip screws yesterday on a 52100 Millie with cheap bits. :( First time I've ever stripped screw heads. I typically use husky brand. They are cheap but I've never had any problem.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Surfingringo wrote:+1 on getting quality torx bits. I buggered all three clip screws yesterday on a 52100 Millie with cheap bits. :( First time I've ever stripped screw heads. I typically use husky brand. They are cheap but I've never had any problem.
I use Husky too and have never had a problem. You stripped the screws using the Husky torx?
swigert

Post by swigert »

ejames13 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:+1 on getting quality torx bits. I buggered all three clip screws yesterday on a 52100 Millie with cheap bits. :( First time I've ever stripped screw heads. I typically use husky brand. They are cheap but I've never had any problem.
I use Husky too and have never had a problem. You stripped the screws using the Husky torx?
My Husky ones were terrible! Definitely stripped some screws.

My Wiha ones have been fantastic though. I'll try to remember to post a pic of my bits. I use a t handle also to hold the bits when I need more leverage.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ejames13 wrote:
Nope. Visiting my dad and he didn't have any. All I could find was some cheap brand here. I've never had an issue with the husky.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Surfingringo wrote:
ejames13 wrote:
Nope. Visiting my dad and he didn't have any. All I could find was some cheap brand here. I've never had an issue with the husky.
They're probably cheap enough that they don't always use the same alloy for the bits. Maybe we just got a good batch or something? I've really cranked down using them and they still look new.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I stripped two of the Husky T-6 bits. Wiha will be my next purchase.
Stainyes

Post by Stainyes »

For Torx and internal hex, I use Bondhus or Wera (not Wiha). I use tools everyday for work and have found those brands to be the best. The Wera especially for their assortments. I needed metric hex bits which were 1/4 driven so I could use them with my ratcheting bit wrench and Wera at the time was all I could find, so I bought a whole kit, haven't damaged any yet. That was 4 years ago. Just last week I broke my first Bondhus hex wrench, it shattered in my hand. I do use them almost every day.

PS: my PM2 M4 will be here in a few min.
Stay Keen
~Dane~
Stainyes

Post by Stainyes »

Just in case you were wondering what a ratcheting bit wrench was.
Stay Keen
~Dane~
FK

Post by FK »

I have a lot of Husky tools and I believe they also made the Sears Craftsman line for years.
Always had great service from both brands.

Wondering if they are now made in China with cheap steel and heat treat?
So many companies are subcontracting to lower cost manuf. in Asia.

Wiha 71570 has T5 to T10 Torx Insert Bit set for $12.22 on Amazon.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Stainyes wrote:For Torx and internal hex, I use Bondhus or Wera (not Wiha). I use tools everyday for work and have found those brands to be the best. The Wera especially for their assortments. I needed metric hex bits which were 1/4 driven so I could use them with my ratcheting bit wrench and Wera at the time was all I could find, so I bought a whole kit, haven't damaged any yet. That was 4 years ago. Just last week I broke my first Bondhus hex wrench, it shattered in my hand. I do use them almost every day.

PS: my PM2 M4 will be here in a few min.

Me too...out for delivery.....usually around 10:00......got that old ketchup commercial
going through my head AN-TIC-I-PA-TION.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My delivery day was moved ahead! It was supposed to be tomorrow and now it says today. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FK

Post by FK »

My mail man just left the driveway,,,, two new PM2 in M4 delivered.

Excellent quality, perfectly centered and smooth action/lockup, could not be more pleased.

Regards.
FK
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:My delivery day was moved ahead! It was supposed to be tomorrow and now it says today. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine as well! Just checked it and it says out for delivery. Cannot wait. Unfortunately I'm about an hour or so away. Will be driving home at light speed!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

i am travvy wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:My delivery day was moved ahead! It was supposed to be tomorrow and now it says today. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine as well! Just checked it and it says out for delivery. Cannot wait. Unfortunately I'm about an hour or so away. Will be driving home at light speed!
Lol......be careful now....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine just arrived. Very nice! About as smooth and solid as they come. :D

:bug-red-white
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

MacLaren wrote:
i am travvy wrote:
Lol......be careful now....
Haha of course