Spyderco Roadie (comparison pics within)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Spyderco Roadie (comparison pics within)

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey folks,

Just wanted to post some pics of a Spyderco Roadie with some other common knives. Hopefully it helps someone on the fence. The Victorinox is a Cadet and the other knife is a Spyderco Dragonfly.

I love the Roadie. The only problem I had was that the tip was just barely sticking out of the handle when closed. It was not covered by the handle enough. I took a DMT stone and took about 1.5mm off of the front of the choil where it hits the backspring and that allowed it to bury the tip in the handle sufficiently.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
WireEdge Roger

Re: Spyderco Roadie (comparison pics within)

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Nice pics, David! This is one of those models that's deceiving in size.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks Roger. I agree. I thought it was going to be larger than the D'fly. :) I would love a 3" bladed model of this guy. I wouldn't want the blade any thicker though. Cool little knife.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks for the pics and review David. I noticed someone else mentioned that the tip of their knife was sticking out of the handle, hopefully CQI will take care of this in the future :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd have to admit my Roadie hasn't seen much pocket-time yet... Back-up knife is a Jester, Dragonfly or Spydercard most of the times. But I'll start carrying it more often :) The Roadie is the most sheeple friendly knife Spyderco has IMO, even more so than a Ladybug or Bug.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
PWork

Post by PWork »

David Lowry wrote:...and took about 1.5mm off of the front of the choil where it hits the backspring and that allowed it to bury the tip in the handle sufficiently.

I did the same thing with one of mine.
Paul
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for the pics. It does a good job of showing a size comparison. Does anyone know if the "blade a bit too long for the handle" issue was ever addressed?
araneae

Post by araneae »

After handling this one I decided it wasn't for me. Sticking with the Ladybug/Manbug, even prefer the Kiwi 3 to it. The thick blade and lack of a point puts it out of the arena of work I use a small knife for.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

araneae wrote:After handling this one I decided it wasn't for me. Sticking with the Ladybug/Manbug, even prefer the Kiwi 3 to it. The thick blade and lack of a point puts it out of the arena of work I use a small knife for.
From what I can see from the pics, the lack of a point is enough to almost get this off my wish list for now.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

As the Dragonfly is (for my taste) too big on a keychain, the Roadie could be interesting.
Thanks for the comparison pics ! I saw the Roadie in real but didn't realize enough it size.

If you got a comparison pic with a Manbug or Ladybug it could be nice.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

this_is_nascar wrote:Thanks for the pics. It does a good job of showing a size comparison. Does anyone know if the "blade a bit too long for the handle" issue was ever addressed?
Still wondering if this is an area of concern on a new Roadie.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Nasgul wrote:As the Dragonfly is (for my taste) too big on a keychain, the Roadie could be interesting.
Thanks for the comparison pics ! I saw the Roadie in real but didn't realize enough it size.

Slightly off-topic, but the original Dragonfly came with integral plastic clips.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Can anyone answer my question please?
GazJhb

Post by GazJhb »

this_is_nascar wrote:Can anyone answer my question please?
I bought a Roadie last month. Absolutely no issue with blade protruding above scales. Maybe just early models
Here's a pic
Attachments
Spyderco Roadie Blue
Spyderco Roadie Blue
GazJhb

Post by GazJhb »

Couple more pics while I'm here. Other knife is a Kershaw Volt 2 assisted opener (which was about half the price of the Roadie :rolleyes: )
Attachments
IMG_20170427_234737.png
IMG_20170427_234800.png
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JazJhbm

Welcome to our forum.

We never had a problem with the blade in the handle of the Roadie. No complaints and no changes were made from the originals. (Hope that helps Nascar).

Where was the Kershaw made?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

roger-roger wrote:
Nasgul wrote:As the Dragonfly is (for my taste) too big on a keychain, the Roadie could be interesting.

Slightly off-topic, but the original Dragonfly came with integral plastic clips.
yes. There were 2 models made with integral plastic clips. We had to CQI the first one.

sal
GazJhb

Post by GazJhb »

sal wrote:Hi JazJhbm

Welcome to our forum.

We never had a problem with the blade in the handle of the Roadie. No complaints and no changes were made from the originals. (Hope that helps Nascar).

Where was the Kershaw made?

sal
Wow, first post (after some time lurking) and the first comment I get is from the man himself. Genuinely honoured :)
I CAN see what some reviewers have observed that over time resharpening could make the Roadie tip jut above the scales....but with its likely usage that would take years.
I honestly love the Roadie and got into Spydies since starting work in South Africa last year after four in the Middle East. Cost here is comparable with UK prices.
The ao Kershaw - made in China - seen on sale in a mall camping store (still a novelty to me as a Brit)just happened to be the only comparison pic I could upload last night from my phone, the rest were too big.
I have IG account @speedmasterpro which has pics of my Roadie with Byrd Hawkbill and a custom fb I picked up here in SA (where they love a big knife... No they REALLY love knives).
Mindful as ever of my return some time in the future to my native UK, or back to the restricted carry UAE, I've ordered a Squeak this week....and Spyderco SA tells me it's at Huntex expo here in Joburg, this weekend.
And I'm off there too.
Sal, I'm in my 50s but still a relative newcomer to the knife community, outside of SAKs. But I've been bitten by the bug and have huge admiration for Spyderco and its achievements since 78 and, of course, your huge body of work.
My to-buy list includes a Delica, PM, dragonfly zdp if I can ever find one here, Dice (if I ever see one here) poliwog and dodo (ditto) Anything with SG on the blade... And a Pingo (Jen's Zulu if I ever see one)
But that's just today...
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for the replies.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi GazJhb,

Sorry to butcher your name in my post. My bad. Thanx for the kind words. SA is a special place to us. We've been working with SA since the early 80's. Great knife people.

Knives made on China have an advantage in costs due to the low value of the Yuan. We do have a value line of models made there and they are considerably less expensive than knives made in Itay (eg: Roadie).

sal