Your thoughts on tantos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Your thoughts on tantos?

Post by Surfingringo »

I've never owned one but was interested in how others find this blade style for general use. I could imaging the corner being useful for tasks like scoring paper/linoleum or other material on a flat surface. Tip seems pretty strong and robust too. I probably don't actually need one, just wondering...

What Spydercos are offered right now with a "tanto" blade?
DerRock

Re: Your thoughts on tantos?

Post by DerRock »

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

In my experience, Tantos are one of the most robust feeling blades around. I own a Kershaw Brawler and for a $40ish knife, its incredibly durable. The slanted front of the blade is a tad tricky to get consistent edge contact when sharping on the SM but not impossible. Definitely a great blade shape.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Don't have a tanto Spydie but a couple "others". Strong tip, and good for scraping. Personally I much prefer Graham's "Razel" for anything I'd use a tanto for. Mind you I don't really need to stab anything...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderg wrote:Don't have a tanto Spydie but a couple "others". Strong tip, and good for scraping. Personally I much prefer Graham's "Razel" for anything I'd use a tanto for. Mind you I don't really need to stab anything...
yup, I would agree on the razel. I have never handled one but that looks like a very useful little tool. Probably more so than a more traditional tanto for me.

In spyderco it looks like pretty much the double bevel and the battlestation?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been curious to try the CRKT Razel folder for a while now. It looks like a folding chisel and the price makes it tempting just to try it. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Tantos are one of the few blades that seem to favor lefties. If the chisel grind was on the opposite side, I'd be more interested ... I want to see the flat side toward centerline as I hold it.

Gordon
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'd like to try a reverse tanto like the Benchmade 940 but it's pretty expensive over here and there are too many Spydies I want :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Battlestation, Double Bevel, and Lum Fixed Blade are all you will get in the way of Spydies that are tanto. Tantos suck and a guy that uses a knife as much as you do Lance would realize that really fast and probably send it down the road. The Emerson variety that are chisel ground are even more confusing. Anything a Tanto can do, a drop or leaf can do better. If stabbing material were high on my list I would get a saber ground Endura. I seriously cannot overstate the lack of utility vs conventional grinds. Definitely not an afi's go to. This is all strictly my opinion though.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Maybe I'm not an official "afi", but I've enjoyed Tantos for a long time... I really enjoy using my Double Bevel. If a belly is what you're accustomed to then you will miss it though.
To me it's almost like a Wharncliffe with a whole'nutha dimension! :p
With my amateur sharpening skills I really have to focus so I don't round off the mid point.
Going back to Caly.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have been curious to try the CRKT Razel folder for a while now. It looks like a folding chisel and the price makes it tempting just to try it. :)

The CRKT Folding Razel is great as a beater knife but if you can get your hands on the CRKT Stubby it's a true gem. Also the CRKT Ringed Razel is fantastic.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Surfingringo wrote:
spyderg wrote:Don't have a tanto Spydie but a couple "others". Strong tip, and good for scraping. Personally I much prefer Graham's "Razel" for anything I'd use a tanto for. Mind you I don't really need to stab anything...
yup, I would agree on the razel. I have never handled one but that looks like a very useful little tool. Probably more so than a more traditional tanto for me.

In spyderco it looks like pretty much the double bevel and the battlestation?

I'm really hoping now that CRKT has discontinued production on the Razels, it will open the door for Spyderco to revisit the idea of collaborating with Graham, particularly on the Razel design. It is a fantastically useful tool!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They have their uses, I just don't encounter many of those uses. I own one, my Wildsteer WX, and for what it is the thing is nearly indestructible and can pound through steel sheet metal and not flinch. But, for EDC I tend to use the tip to make cuts "xacto knife style" so I prefer a tip that's lower town closer to a wharnie or Manix 2, which is pretty much the opposite of a tanto so no tanto for EDC for me.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I love the way Tantos look. Some of the old Strider and Emerson Tantos are the coolest looking blades ever. I remember seeing the Emerson Neely Tanto Specwar fixed blade when I was younger and I thought nothing was more bad *** than that knife. I have never owned one but it is on my bucket list.

That said. I never carry Tantos as they really do not work well for cutting in my experience.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am going to be the wet blanket, sorry. This is just my opinion after owning and using them for many years. I do not buy tanto bladed knives any longer. When I was in my 20's it was cool. But, in reality, while sort of strong, the blade shape has limited utility. I have seen many of them with broken tips, too. If you want a knife that has a strong blade and tip, but is still useful, a well executed spear point is better for actual use. I know there are people who use them for all sorts of things, but they really are not efficient at them. The blade style is purpose designed for one thing, only, and that is not utility.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hopefully I'm not stealing Cobra's thunder, but whenever I hear "tanto" I think of this:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=61114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and I want one.
:spyder:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Nate wrote:Hopefully I'm not stealing Cobra's thunder, but whenever I hear "tanto" I think of this:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=61114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and I want one.

Yeah, gotta differentiate between Americanized tantos and more classic tantos. For me Americanized tantos are a no go. Classic tantos can have a seat at the table though, like the one you posted. Or the fixed lum tanto.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Or this:

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Versus this:

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Tanto blades have their own merits just like Wharnie's do. Perhaps the range of uses for the tanto is limited. I believe they exist largely because of the romantic notion that it makes it the blade more "tactically-enhanced." I own several tantos (including a cherished Lum Tanto Ti folder) and enjoy them mostly for collecting. I found this interesting thread from early 2014 on the same subject. Prof68 hit the nail on the head with his quote from Murray Carter regarding tanto blades:
Prof68 wrote:Keep in mind that the following all comes from someone still flush with the victory of scoring a Lum Tanto folder.

In a recent post, I mentioned Murray Carter in reference to his excellent sharpening videos, so I should probably preface this by saying that no, we're not related and I don't own stock in his company. In his book 101 Knife Designs (a mind-boggling array of eye candy, by the way), there's a 2-page section called "Those Ridculous Tanto Points." His arguments are that the Americanized tanto tip 1.) not only isn't any better at piercing, but actually hinders it by creating more drag, 2.) limits slicing ability by dividing the blade into two smaller blades, and 3.) is difficult to sharpen properly.

Yes, a lot of this issue involves personal preference (most of them do), and no, you shouldn't believe everything you read. But I do try to learn from people obviously more knowledgeable than I am. Carter's an ABS master smith and a 17th generation Yoshimoto bladesmith, so it seems safe to assume that he knows a thing or two, about Japanese blades in particular. Some food for thought, if nothing else.

Now: I'm off to sit by the doorstep in case the Lum arrives early.
Here's the link to the thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=62944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;