Knife Noob Deciding On First EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShieldNBlade

Knife Noob Deciding On First EDC

Post by ShieldNBlade »

Hello Everyone! I have spent the past several days looking at various pocket knives and have really fallen in love with the Spyderco designs. I have been mulling over the multitude of $50-$100 ranged knives and have been leaning toward the Delica, Endura, or Stretch. I also enjoy the look of the translucent blue manix 2 (but not the shape/cut of the handle so much). I love the "non-threatening" color selection with the Delicas and Enduras, but the Stretch's ergonomics and blade shape look amazing as well. I will be buying online since I don't have a dealer close by, making comparisons difficult.

I don't have any limitations on blade length to worry about where I live so that isn't an issue. I also tend to have deeper pockets so the size of any of these blades shouldn't be an issue in that regard. I live in a sub-urban/urban environment and don't perform many outdoor tasks at this time (apartment). I foresee myself using the knife primarily for menial cuttings tasks that probably don't justify such a blade, but oh well. I do think that the blade would see some fair use in my kitchen since my g/f and I have yet to invest in any quality cutlery. For this the stretch seems to win out with the endura also being a solid choice. The final, and most distant, use would also be for self defense. I have another tool that serves this purpose much better but you just never know. Also, I'm a Lefty.

My final concerns are about sharpening. I know everyone gushes over the sharpmaker but at this point in time it isn't prudent for me to invest the cost of another blade into my sharpener. I was considering using either a stone or something like smith's 3 in 1 sharpening system that replicates the sharpmaker's design somewhat. Something in the "under $20 range" that will still get me a nice working/food cutting edge.

Are these blades too high of quality to learn how to sharpen with a stone? Are any of the blade types more difficult to sharpen than others? Is the factory 30ish degree angle too hard to keep up with a 40-45ish degree fixed sharpener angle? would i have to completely reform the edge to be able to sharpen it at 40+ degrees? Maybe I've spent too much time over thinking the whole process but I don't want a dull or destroyed blade (no carbide on routine maintenance).
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Knife Noob Deciding On First EDC

Post by apollo »

Hi ShieldNBlade.

First of all welcome to our forum.

With the deciding question i can share a little light.
The delica and endura series are the models almost everyone started here with at some point.
They are amazing knives for the price. Even now when i have +-30 spydies (and most of them are the high end models) i still carry my delica every few weeks. Because is just is a very very good knife and so is his bigger brother.

The Stretch i have never owned ( the design is not my cup of tea) but my brother gives his to try sometimes and i can tell this ones also is a winner. And a great performer even a little improved compared to the delica/endura for my personal experience.

So of those 3 (I'm also a lefty).
I would go with the stretch maybe even the zdp-189 or the super blue.
But since you say you have a 100 dollar range you can also maybe look at the pm2?
As you will see on this forum the pm2 is "THE" spydie to have used in youre life.
For me it is the edc of a life time..

When it comes to sharpening i can not really help you on that one.
I use an edge pro and the spyderco sharpmaker and those 2 work great.
But there are many other on this forum that will help you with that one. :)
ShieldNBlade

Post by ShieldNBlade »

Thank you for responding Apollo. Yeah, I've been lurking around various forums for answers and the PM2 does seem like epitome of this particular style. The cost is a bit out of my current price range though, at least on amazon. I could buy both an endura and a delica for about the same price. Besides, I wouldn't want my lack of knowledge to destroy such a great blade.

I've been leaning back and forth between the 3 every day, and even considering buying a delica and endura. I could strong side/weak side carry or leave one around the house. I could also try to get my girlfriend to carry the delica (although then i would have to get it in purple and the endura in blue lol). She walks dogs daily as part of her job and I've been trying to get her to carry some form of self defense. You never know what could happen of if a stray dog might want to take a bite out of her or one of the dogs. She's a minimalist though and hates carrying a purse so something like this might be a good option.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to our forum. I am certain you will get a lot of response. What I predict most will say, and what I will also say, is that the Delica is the most practical knife money can buy. NutnFancy and Hickock45 (YouTube) will testify to the excellent qualities of the Delica. They carry one. I have a lot of Spydercos. I have had a PM2. It is a great knife to be sure, but I carry a Delica almost every day. It is slim, yet big enough for most tasks. I take off the clip and drop it in my pocket or watch pocket and it disappears. I can't comment on the Stretch but the Endura is also a great knife and a lot of people favor that one more than the PM2 or other knives. You would love the PM2 but for the money difference I am not certain it is the best call. The Manix is a bit big and wide for most days. Delica #1 and Endura #2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Shield,

You also might want to look at the Native. The FRN version is quite affordable and very comfy in hand.

A good thing about Spyderco is that there are many flavors to choose from :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!! You will get LOTS of great opinions on what to buy and how to sharpen.. Have fun!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Hmm so many ways to answer... First, while I know it isn't always easy, if you can add another $20 to your budget, it opens up a multitude of other options as well.

With that said, I would really encourage you to rethink the sharpening strategy. While yes, it may be tempting to spend the budget all on the knife and look for a $20 sharpening option, it will ultimately not meet your needs. I have the 3 in 1 also. Used it once and then bought a $50 Sharpmaker.

So if you went up a little on the budget to $120, that still leaves you plenty for a Sharpmaker and a Delica or Endura, either being a fine choice.

I am partial to the Stretch Super Blue, but the math wouldn't work out with spending a bit more or sharpening.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would agree with almoe66. Get the delica or endure and go ahead and get the sharpmaker. Really...you will likely end up getting more use and enjoyment out of the SM than you will out of any single knife.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ShieldNBlade,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome, ShieldNBlade!
The other fellows have given some good recommendations. I'll echo the idea of getting a Delica or Stretch first and a Sharpmaker fairly soon. There are many flavors of Delicas and Stretches to choose from (i.e. different color handles, blade steels, etc. If you choose the Delica, don't forget to check out the Kahr Delica featuring the special "bobbed" blade). Different steels have their benefits, but there's nothing wrong with good ol' VG-10 either. I prefer the Delica to the Stretch for various reasons, but my tastes/preferences may be different from yours. Either should be a great option for the things you intend to use it for. The Sharpmaker is a great tool that is well worth the investment. I purchased mine around twelve years ago, but it still works like new. Let us know what you decide. We're just a bunch of enablers, ya know. :D
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Dragonfly, Delica, or Stretch (small, medium, or large options), along with a Sharpmaker. VG-10 blade steel to start. Endura is a great knife but sort of a big knife (X-large option). But maybe that's what you want.

Another possible blade steel to think about is H1 (virtually rust proof) if you live/work in a humid environment, do a lot of food prep, fishing, etc. The Dragonfly, Delica, and Endura all are available in the "salt" series of knives with H1 steel. The Delica salt version is the "Salt 1", the Endura is the "Pacific", and the Dragonfly is the "Dragonfly Salt".

VG-10 and H1 get very sharp and are easy to maintain, esp. if you have a Sharpmaker.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

ShieldNBlade wrote:..."non-threatening"...I don't have any limitations on blade length...primarily for menial cuttings tasks...some fair use in my kitchen...self defense...final concerns are about sharpening...
i was about to suggest the delica first but basing on the criteria you mentioned, i think the endura would be better suited for the purpose. but i would very much suggest the black pacific salt. its less threatening than the endura (due to black coated blade.. my experience says its more sheeple friendly than colorful handles but with the shiny satiny blades), h1 is a lot easier to sharpen/touch-up than vg-10 and its basically maintenance-free not to mention its more lighter than the endura. but whatever you choose, you're now the in the event horizon of the spyderco blackhole, the first purchase will nudge you in.dont say i didnt warn you.
Saxconnection

Post by Saxconnection »

Welcome!

I personally enjoy the stretch in super blue. It's a sweet cutter.

In my opinion of sheeple however, if it's bigger than a regular Swiss Army knife, they're going to be uncomfortable.

I would recommend a delica. In vg-10. There's not a lot it won't be capable of, and the sheeple scaring factor is minimal. In fact, I'm giving my realtor a delica in titanium/Damascus. My point is since that's what I would consider a great gift, it's also my first recommendation, with the stretch a close second for personal preference.

Anyway, sorry in advance for the image size. I can't seem to make photobucket work for me right now. But for reference, here is an Endura, PM2, Stretch, and Delica together on a sheet of 8-1/2 x 11" printer paper.

As for the gf, start her off with either a ladybug on her keyring, or a dragonfly.

Adam
Adam

Currently looking for...Stretch C90PBLE......PM2 C81CFPE2...Custom Dragonfly Scales...and my holy grail, for now-C10PSGRE-Lost it at a shoot when I had to change out a flat tire. Haven't found a replacement.

Shoot straight, stay sharp!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

With $100 to spend, I would get a Delica (blue, maybe orange) and a Doublestuff pocket stone. Then I'd take the rest and buy a nice big sandwich and call it a day.

The Delica is the place to start a knife collection, and is all the knife most people ever really need. (I feel like I just said this somewhere else...)

The Doublestuff is half the price of the Sharpmaker, gets you both medium and fine grits, is super portable and is a good size for the Delica. Learning to sharpen freehand isn't that complicated, and it's a good thing to know how to do I think.

And finally, the sandwich is the ultimate food. It's delicious, portable, fully customizable, and requires no tools or accessories to eat. Unless, of course, you want to cut it up...perhaps...with your new Delica? But then you'd have to wait till it comes in the mail to eat, and the sandwich may get soggy depending on ingredients, construction, temperature, etc. So just eat it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Mgj48

Post by Mgj48 »

Welcome. I personally found the Delica a bit undersized for my hand and the Endura a bit oversized. While they are great knives , the Stretch is in another class compared to them. IMO it is the best blend of blade length , scale length , and weight for an EDC blade. I have three now and considering a fourth but my favorite is the VG-10 for EDC. Great slicer , easy carry , easy to sharpen. Good luck with you choice , you really can't lose on this deal
Last edited by Mgj48 on Sun May 10, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I would vote Delica. It's an awesome choice, and I still carry it pretty often. It's not the nicest knife I have, but if I need to do a lot of cutting, or I need a knife to beat on, I know the Delica can handle it.

Matt
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Do yourself a favor and get a Para 2.That's all you need.And stop there.If not, you'll end up like me.Flat broke :confused: :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For a different view, I suggest you look seriously at the Native 5 frn. It combines the characteristics of the Delica and Dragonfly 2 in one package: steel, frn, light weight, excellent blade shape and forefinger jumped choil plus jumped thumb ramp.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
BTG

Post by BTG »

Under 100$ I'd get the partially serrated Native 5 , if I were to go a little over 100$ probably a Paramilitary 2.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

There are a lot of good suggestions here (PM2 and Native are excellent) - but the Delica is a great choice for your first Spyderco. Maybe it will be your only Spyderco, maybe not.