Knife Noob Deciding On First EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShieldNBlade

Re: Knife Noob Deciding On First EDC

Post by ShieldNBlade »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the great input that that I've received and finally made up my mind. I decided on the PE VG-10 Stretch with the Black FRN Handle. A lot of you strongly suggested either it or the Delica (with your second choice being the Stretch). I figured The ergos and the "in the middle" size would be a nice place to start. Plus the blade shape and the fact that it has been discontinued swayed me more away from the other choices. I just know I would regret not getting it now if I went with the Delica first. I say first because I'm sure I will end up getting that Blue Delica that started this whole adventure when my frugality permits the purchase of another blade.

I'll have to take a picture of it sitting next to my M&P Shield once it arrives. :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Might also be an idea to get an FRN Byrd knife of a different size to be able to practice sharpening more without being afraid to ruin a more expensive blade.
(or get a really cheap blade which will have cheap soft bladesteel and will be easy to sharpen, easier to learn when you see the effect straight away)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Go for a Delica. It's an All Star EDC.
BTG

Post by BTG »

ShieldNBlade wrote:Thanks everyone! I appreciate the great input that that I've received and finally made up my mind. I decided on the PE VG-10 Stretch with the Black FRN Handle. A lot of you strongly suggested either it or the Delica (with your second choice being the Stretch). I figured The ergos and the "in the middle" size would be a nice place to start. Plus the blade shape and the fact that it has been discontinued swayed me more away from the other choices. I just know I would regret not getting it now if I went with the Delica first. I say first because I'm sure I will end up getting that Blue Delica that started this whole adventure when my frugality permits the purchase of another blade.

I'll have to take a picture of it sitting next to my M&P Shield once it arrives. :D
Since you've decided, you might also want to consider the stretch in super blue...just a little more, but also will not be around later, being a sprint run.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Just picked up a SB Stretch and it's a fantastic knife, you won't be disappointed. I started with a Cru-wear Manix2 and it talked me into buying more, onto the Spydie addiction. Once you get your first Spydie in hand you will know that it won't be your last! Start saving now...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would say save $10 a week and buy the sharpmaker too. No sense having a quality tool and not maintaining it properly. If you do by the smiths thing, do NOT use the carbide part unless you are looking to feed it some steel. You will be much happier saving a month and getting the sharpmaker. Enjoy your Stretch, its an excellent knife.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

You will like that Stretch - I think you made an excellent choice. VG-10 is a do it all steel and it gets really sharp. You'll see.
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Perfect choice! Especially because: it's your 'one' spydie for now; and because you mentioned kitchen tasks. (My stretch finds its way into the kitchen... makes the other knives jealous...)
elrond18

Post by elrond18 »

You'll love the Stretch!

And it won't be your last spyderco. Welcome to the addiction!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great thoughts on a knife and actually it's hard to go wrong with any of the options listed. The knife is more of a personal thing that it's hard to figure how anyone else will feel about a favorite. I'll only mention the Worker sprint that's available now. It's $140 on cutlery shoppe so it's out of the price target you mentioned. But, I got one recently and absolutely love it. And I can't understand or explain why exactly.

What I'm interested in is your knife sharpening thoughts or plans. Unless I'm wrong I get that you don't have much or any experience sharpening knives. That opens up a whole world of options, decisions and of course a huge range of expense. The first decision is to pursue a sharpening system or learning free hand. Your hopes for a decent sharpening option around $20 will be hard to hit. I think realistically that $20 will need to move to the $50 starting point. A very good option IMO for a first stone is the Spyderco ceramic medium grit. That's if you are going a free hand route. The Sharpmaker is a great tool but I think you would need the coarser grit rods for it to be a complete system. So, what are your thoughts so far or have you not really given it much thought. I'd recommend you start thinking about it soon because it's a very important if you want to keep nice knives cutting well. It's a shame to have nice knives that won't cut well. I see some sharpening stuff when I'm in Lowe's but I haven't looked at it much. I think they have Smith's diamond stones at a pretty acceptable price. Another important thing when deciding on sharpening tools is the maintenance of them. Diamond stones need very little maintenance but if you use them improperly you can ruin them. Water stones require flattening (lapping) on occasion. Ceramic (Spyderco) stones are very easily maintained and do a great job. Not much in the coarser grit range but if your knives are already sharp they can maintain them for a very long time. Anyway, give it some thought before you actually spend money. I'm a good one to get impatient and buy something to get started only to find out in a few days I'd have been better off to do a bit more research, asking questions, etc. :o Do you have a family member or friend who sharpens their knives? Anyway, welcome and have fun. :)

Jack
xinam

Post by xinam »

Under 100$ I vote for Manix2 all day. It was my first and I've bought many since... I still think its the best value across the board.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

By far the best edc Spyderco has ever made is the Caly 3.5 in G10/VG10. however just one won't do because that blade is too pointy for say cleaning under your nails etc. You need the Caly 3.5 in your rf pocket if right handed, a Dragonfly on your keychain with a small ring attached to a large ring, an Endura in back pocket with clip removed and a Case 087 in your of pocket. That is the perfect edc combo and you are ready for anything from cleaning your nails with the little pen blade on the Case to opening mail while seated in your car with the Dragonfly on your keychain to tactical Caly which you never use for anything to rough and tough work with the Ensure which you will use most of all
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

VG10 is a wonderful steel to work with, as well as to learn about sharpening (it's somewhat but not too wear-resistant), but will limit your choices to Japan-made Spydies (hardly a bad thing!). A Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, Stretch, and Caly(pso) can each be found in this steel for under $100. The Caly 3.5 has just been discontinued but can still be found.

I prefer choils so I don't have the Delica or Endura, but my Pacific Salt in H1 steel is essentially an Endura and I do like the way it presents itself to the work.

FWIW, I started (like many here) with the Tenacious. Lot of bang for the buck in that one.

Welcome.

ETA: Oh, I see I'm late to the party. Of all the VG10 choices you could have picked, you picked the one I would have specifically recommended. Love mine. It's an evolution of one of Sal's first designs, if I understand things correctly.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
harronek

Post by harronek »

I've only recently come to the world of Spyderco , about 6 months to be precise .
I own a few of these - Dragonfly , Delica , Kiwi4 , Caly3.5 , Resilience .

Pure value for money and overall winner in my opinion is the Delica 4 FFG FRN .

Ken
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Welcome Shieldnblade... Good choice, I also prefer the Stretch to the Delica.

When my Stretch was still new:Image

PS: A sharpmaker is a good investment...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi