Got a Military as a gift, is it real?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
miraclemax

Got a Military as a gift, is it real?

Post by miraclemax »

Hi all! New to Spyderco knives! I just got a great gift from a family member of a Spyderco Military.

Being new to this brand i jumped online to found out all i could about it since i really love the knife. I found out that there is a TON of fakes out there and some darn good ones to boot. Which got me thinking and obsessing over my knife looking at every detail to see if i got a gift that turned out to be a fake. I don't want to ask the gift giver about it, since it was a gift and i don't want to be rude. So i got some pics of it. From the research i have done, I'm 80% sure its real, but I'm hoping you "experts" can help make that 100%

Things that are iffy to me are-

-beveled g-10 scales, i read they should be square.
-the way the etching is on the blades, it appears slightly not inline with the grind.
-the knife seems stiff, i can't seen to flick it open, but then again its news.

Things that make it seem real-

-Blade seem to have a belly

-The g-10 is very grippy

Please take the time to view the pics and see if you can help me out. Thanx!

Lost

Re: Got a Military as a gift, is it real?

Post by Lost »

I'm not as good as identifying real vs fakes as most are on here but from what I can tell.. Looks real to me. Also looks to be a "factory 2nd" by the notch in the blade right above the Spydie hole. This would also push me ALOT closer to believing it is real vs a fake as I've never saw a fake Spyderco knife with the 2nds notch on it. Hope you enjoy your new knife!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed, the factory second notch would be a good reason to assume it is genuine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

I've seen more real ones than fakes and everything about the knife you are showing looks legit. The sharpness of the jimping, the spyderhole cut, the grind, the laser markings and how they reflect light, the screws used, the stamped spyder logo on the clip, the quality of the g10 fit and finish. There isn't one thing that screams out a concern in my eyes. You have been gifted a great knife! It will serve you well. Welcome to the family.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Agreed, the factory second notch would be a good reason to assume it is genuine.
Unless the shifty counterfeiters have started adding the factory seconds notch in order to cover up the imperfections of their dubious goods :eek:
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Agreed, the factory second notch would be a good reason to assume it is genuine.
Unless the shifty counterfeiters have started adding the factory seconds notch in order to cover up the imperfections of their dubious goods :eek:
Now that would be devious!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if it's only a second because the etching on the back side of the tang is crooked?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Check the weight of the knife and compare to Spyderco's spec. I inadvertently had a fake Millie at one point (which ended up in Spyderco's possession for evaluation) and it weighted 5.1 ounces on my scale. Spec is 4.2 to 4.5 oz.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

IMO Only newest version is couterfeited. Your version is older one with hex pivot screw and philips pocketclip screws. Enjoy using it :)
swigert

Post by swigert »

It's real!!!