A little Dyeing help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

A little Dyeing help

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi folks,

I have tried to find an answer to this, but can't. I want to do some pattern dying on one of my FRN knives. What on earth can I use to block off the parts I do not want dyed?
Last edited by Doc Dan on Fri May 08, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Re: A little Dying help

Post by Surfingringo »

hot glue? I guess if you wanted precise lines you could tape off the knife then cover the untaped areas in hot glue, then remove the tape and dye. I've never tried that so proceed with caution if you choose to follow my hair brained advice. ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are some people who use hot glue like Lance said. I've seen some where the person just spattered it on the knife and it ended up looking pretty nice.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

*Dyeing
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Trevitrace wrote:*Dyeing
hehe...yeah, I clicked on this thread wondering if it was about euthanasia. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have seen a thread where someone used hot glue to create a pattern. I guess it depends on how much detail you are trying to achieve whether or not this will work.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Trevitrace wrote:*Dyeing
hehe...yeah, I clicked on this thread wondering if it was about euthanasia. ;)
Yeah, same thought here. I was just gearing up to talk a brother off the ledge. :eek: ;) :p Whew. Glad we don't need Dr. Kevorkian. ;)
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Phew, I came in here thinking someone was dying. Perhaps fingernail polish would work for your purposes. Never RIT dyed anything, so this is only a wild guess on my part.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not usually a fan of the grammar police patrolling a knife forum but this thread title was a little alarming. :eek: For a moment I did mentally prepare myself before clicking. Whew!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

If you use hot glue or fingernail polish, how do you get that off afterwards? Seems that anything that would take off the protectant would also affect the dye.

I did the dye treatment to my PM2 and I had to actually boil the water to get it to work. If you could dye FRN using cooler water, maybe you could paint on some vaseline or something like that to keep the water away, then just clean off the vaseline with soap.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

LOL! It was the middle of the night so I was literally "dying" I guess.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bdblue wrote:If you use hot glue or fingernail polish, how do you get that off afterwards? Seems that anything that would take off the protectant would also affect the dye.

I did the dye treatment to my PM2 and I had to actually boil the water to get it to work. If you could dye FRN using cooler water, maybe you could paint on some vaseline or something like that to keep the water away, then just clean off the vaseline with soap.
Yeah, the problem is the boiling. A lot of things I could use would be affected by the hot water. If they are not so affected, they would be difficult to remove. It is a real conundrum.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

Here's some info that I posted in the mod thread. I hope this helps. :)

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... ye#p953490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

remnar wrote:Here's some info that I posted in the mod thread. I hope this helps. :)

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... ye#p953490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. I saw that earlier. I was afraid the glue might come off during the heated dyeing process. Also, the glue is not very precise. I am looking for some way to make a more precise pattern. The texturing on the FRN is the problem, otherwise I would simply mask it off.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Would a syringe and a small needle work?
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not certain. Maybe. I will have to give that some thought.

Maybe I could mask it off the best I can, pressing the tape into the texturing, and once it is as straight as I can make it, fill it with glue. Then exacto the tape out of the edges of the glue and it should be straight. What do you all think?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PMBohol wrote:Would a syringe and a small needle work?
For what, exactly? :confused: Remember, we're trying to talk our brother off the ledge here. :p :p :p (Just couldn't resist! ;) )
remnar

Post by remnar »

I would be afraid of cutting into the frn with the exacto knife. Masking a precise pattern on the frn would be very difficult and keeping the dye from bleeding underneath the masked area may be near impossible.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:I am not certain. Maybe. I will have to give that some thought.

Maybe I could mask it off the best I can, pressing the tape into the texturing, and once it is as straight as I can make it, fill it with glue. Then exacto the tape out of the edges of the glue and it should be straight. What do you all think?
You can do that. Remember though, when you remove the tape you will need to really scrub the thing with soap and a toothbrush or something similar. The adhesive residue from the tape will likely screw up the dye job if you don't get it completely removed.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Which part of the frn are you trying not to dye? The faces of the grips? On some of these scales the faces are at angles. It's a complicated pattern to say the least.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air