Can I get some info on this knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Squirl17

Can I get some info on this knife?

Post by Squirl17 »

image.jpg
image.jpg (5.54 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.54 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
This knife was given to me about 15 years ago. Can anyone give me any information about it.? When it was built? Can I get another? What is it's value?
Attachments
image.jpg
SpyderNut

Re: Can I get some info on this knife?

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Squirl17,

Your knife is the standard Bug C35 "Q" model. It was first made sometime around 1996 and was later discontinued. There are many, many variations of the Q model. (Chris, a.k.a Boxer93 here on the forum has a beautiful Q collection, as do some of the other folks here). Here is some other info from the Spyderco Source website. As for value/worth, I've seen the standard model (like yours) sell for around $150 or so on BF or ebay. Some will sell much higher depending on how rare they are. (For instance, I once recall there being one Q variation that was exceedingly rare because only a few were made. I think it was sold for something like $350, IIRC). Best bet is to keep that knife, if I was in your shoes. It looks to be in good shape and will only gain in value. Q's have been long discontinued. They are only found nowadays on the secondary market--usually at a premium price. I bought a few NIB about twelve years ago for around $60 a piece, if that gives any indication to worth.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

C35
Model Name: Q
Model Reference: C35
Designer: Sal Glesser
MSRP: $49.95
Description: The Spyderco Q was made as a affordable and lightweight knife with a laster cut blade that was made from 440C stainless steel. The Blade was available to be custom cut with your company logo on it or other design if you comissioned a certain number of blades produced. There exist at least 50 different cutout variations for the blade, not including blade edge variations and handle color variations. The spring lock is unique and patented, though not very reliable. The knife was originally called the Silhouette.

Blade Length: 2 1/2″
Closed Length: 3 3/8″
Overall Length: 5 3/4″
Weight: 1.2oz

Blade Material: 440C
Blade Finish: Satin Finished, Laster-cut
Blade Grind: Hollow Grind
Handle Material: FRN
Locking Mechanism: Spring Lock

Years Produced: 1996-2000 approx.
Manufacture Location: USA

Variations:
There exists many different variations of this knife, with different laser cut-outs. Many may not have actually model numbers.
C35SBK – Serrated Edge
C35PBK – Plain Edge
C35PSBK – Combo Edge
Squirl17

Post by Squirl17 »

Thank you so much!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You're welcome! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Squirl,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a good friend who is really big on those Spyderco Q models. He told me recently that there is one of those Q models that has the image of the "Jolly Roger Pirate" in the blade instead of the "SPYDIE" logo you see on the one on the first post on this thread.

He told me that one with the "Jolly Roger" blade is probably the most valuable one ever made. But it's like Spydernut told you there are many variants of the Q model. There are even Q models with solid blades but those are quite rare. It's definitely becoming very collectible and if your's is in good or brand new condition I would sure keep it.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Squirl17 Welcome to the forum. Nice Q. the tip looks a little short like it may have been sharpened.
here is a pic with a few Qs. The jolly Roger should be in there somewhere. I think my coors is the rarest I have.
allmar2009_small.jpg
My sig line has a link to an old page.
Enjoy.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Flchriso

Post by Flchriso »

Always wanted one of those Qs when I was a kid. I remember going and checking it out on a weekly basis at a local shop. I know the topic is already old but I recently came across the opportunity to acquire two Qs and wanted to reach out to see what value I should put on them before I purchase so I don't overpay. The first one is a C35SBK has a small nick in the blade , but otherwise seems to be in perfect condition. The second knife is a Q R.M.B.C one of 75 (the # is somewhere in the middle) made with a straight edge and blue handle. This one was in perfect condition.

Anyway I would love to get one or both. What are people's opinions? What should I pay for each? Good buy for future value?Thanks for the help and I am really jealous of that collection boxer 93 has!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd probably say $75-85 for the regular one. Maybe up to ~$100 if you really want it. Nick in blade probably limits significant future value increases.

The RMBC one is less common. There's a guy on eBay trying to sell one and has been dropping the price, but it hasn't sold yet ($400->$360->$330). He's right around the ballpark where similarly limited runs (75-100 pieces) have sold for recently. I'd say anywhere from $250-350 would be the going price on one of those. I'm not too sure that prices will go up significantly, as it's not going to get any rarer, but I may be wrong on that.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Those are really cool looking. Boxer93, incredible collection. Something I'm going to start keeping an eye out for.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I recently updated the Spydiewiki Q page with over a dozen more pictures. There are still tons more to go, but I just wanted to thank the eBay seller I contacted, asking if I could use a couple of his pictures. Not only did he let me use the eBay pictures, but he took a bunch more of some other rare Q's he has.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C35_Q
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

Hi everyone. I' m new in the forum. Recently I receive a c 35 q model that shows two faces front in front and the word "flak". I wasnt able to find an image of one of that on the web. Any information will be wellcome. Regards from Argentina.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hi, welcome. You might need to post a picture as someone might recognize it better.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gaucho,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Gaucho wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:37 pm
Hi everyone. I' m new in the forum. Recently I receive a c 35 q model that shows two faces front in front and the word "flak". I wasnt able to find an image of one of that on the web. Any information will be wellcome. Regards from Argentina.
Take a picture, go to postimage.org. Select your picture, then click Hotlink For Forums, paste here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

[Image]