Which Spydie makes you happiest to use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeh99

Re: Which Spydie makes you happiest to use?

Post by mikeh99 »

Manbug, because it is always with me
PITS, I love this knife
PM2, perfect design
Millie, works great for so many uses
And then there is the...
Mike
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I would say the Techno for me. It's how it seems to give such a hand filling grip and yet is quite small. I also like the thwack when the lock bar engages too.

Runner up is the KW 204P PM2. It's a perfect knife and I think that models fit n' finish is slightly better than the standard production version. The blade opening / closing is smoother and it sure feels like the lock is more discrete open/closed. Hard to describe yet (at least to me) very easy to feel.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Right now I'm enjoying the Super Blue Delica. The delica was my first spydie and still one of my faves. Light and thin, it's an excellent cutting tool. The PM2 has been seeing a lot of pocket time lately as well.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

For some reason, any of my Manbugs make me really happy to use them. There are others on the list, but these always seem to put a smile on my face. Also my Tusk....truly love that knife, as does my wife!
brick

Post by brick »

It's funny, all this talk of Manbugs and I happened to receive one this week. I completely get it. Tiny knives that do great things produce much enjoyment.
-Tim
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:I would say the Techno for me. It's how it seems to give such a hand filling grip and yet is quite small. I also like the thwack when the lock bar engages too.

Runner up is the KW 204P PM2. It's a perfect knife and I think that models fit n' finish is slightly better than the standard production version. The blade opening / closing is smoother and it sure feels like the lock is more discrete open/closed. Hard to describe yet (at least to me) very easy to feel.
I think mine has better F&F too. It's a collector from the first run and the G-10 is nicely chamfered all the way around, making a more comfortable grip. Is yours from the first run of 800 or from the later, 400 knife run? (I bought mine after the others sold out, soon after I got interested in spydies. It's one of my first few spydies and I haven't had the heart to use it yet.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Whichever one is in my pocket. :)
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Whichever one is in my pocket. :)
+1 ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My smurf blue PM2, which has been my work knife ever since I got it in the initial run from BBS. All around goodness. Glad I bought two so I have a backup.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

All my spydies make me happy to use. But these are the top for me.

Rubicon because its a personal dream of a knife.
Slysz bowie is alround perfection.
Manix 1 the best cutting beast i have ever owned.
Manix 2 refined brute force with a little more slicing in the blade.
Southard amazing feel to it.
PM2 since i have 5 of them at this moment i think i can say i love this design a little to much.. Its the uber edc spyderco!!! If i could only have 1 knife it would be the para2.
And the tenacious my favorite beater knife.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

DougC-3 wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:I would say the Techno for me. It's how it seems to give such a hand filling grip and yet is quite small. I also like the thwack when the lock bar engages too.

I think mine has better F&F too. It's a collector from the first run and the G-10 is nicely chamfered all the way around, making a more comfortable grip. Is yours from the first run of 800 or from the later, 400 knife run? (I bought mine after the others sold out, soon after I got interested in spydies. It's one of my first few spydies and I haven't had the heart to use it yet.)
I believe that mine is from the original 800 piece run. What I heard from the Knifeworks staff was that mine was originally available for Spyderco employees to purchase. Mine was one of the one's that wasn't purchased and so it went back to KW. Since I was (apparently relatively early) on the notify list for the second 400 piece run, I was contacted when this one was available.

I hadn't noticed it before, but I just compared the chamfer of my 204P model to my my standard black / satin version and I do agree that the chamfer is wider on the 204P. While I have used mine, the way that I use knives (e.g. Nothing remotely approaching "hard use") means that my standard S30V model is superlative in my real-world use case. There's hardly a reason for the superior steel in the 204P version. But like many of us here, I hardly worry about that justifying a new purchase.

Coincidentally, I was notified of this knife's availability while on vacation with my family. Even though this knife wasn't on the trip, when I use it, it does bring back very fond memories of the trip.

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner! :o
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

I believe that mine is from the original 800 piece run. What I heard from the Knifeworks staff was that mine was originally available for Spyderco employees to purchase. Mine was one of the one's that wasn't purchased and so it went back to KW. Since I was (apparently relatively early) on the notify list for the second 400 piece run, I was contacted when this one was available.

I hadn't noticed it before, but I just compared the chamfer of my 204P model to my my standard black / satin version and I do agree that the chamfer is wider on the 204P. While I have used mine, the way that I use knives (e.g. Nothing remotely approaching "hard use") means that my standard S30V model is superlative in my real-world use case. There's hardly a reason for the superior steel in the 204P version. But like many of us here, I hardly worry about that justifying a new purchase.

Coincidentally, I was notified of this knife's availability while on vacation with my family. Even though this knife wasn't on the trip, when I use it, it does bring back very fond memories of the trip.

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner! :o
No worries, I had forgotten that I asked a question :) But it's nice to get the feedback. It's a little strange that there's that much variability in the chamfering. I have a brown one from the first run of that exclusive, which has perfect fit & finish but practically no chamfering at all. Maybe it just depends on the style or preference of the person who finishes the handle.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mastiffwear Military: Sal and the team at Spyderco took a chance on this steel when they brought it out. Many of the Spyderco crowd like Stainless blades, or Super steels. Cruwear is middle ground somewhere between D2 and CPM M4 in abrasive wear resistance and is very tough.

It turned out very well and was accepted by many here. They did an excellent job on the heat treat and ran it in it's sweet spot and it does it's job of cutting very well.

Farid K2 in 10V. : A beautifully made tank of a knife in the mighty 10V, first of the powdered steels. For those of us who like high wear steels a little tougher than the stainless versions and don't mind maintaining the steel. It's not really bad corrosion wise, to be honest. This is a keeper I'll not willingly give up just like the above Cruwear millie.

Any Mule: Of all in the long list of accomplishments and firsts Sal and Spyderco have managed to pull off the Mule teams are the most impressive. They could be using the production capacity on higher profit margin products. It's another one that makes me want to say Thanks Sal!

Joe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:Farid K2 in 10V. : A beautifully made tank of a knife in the mighty 10V, first of the powdered steels. For those of us who like high wear steels a little tougher than the stainless versions and don't mind maintaining the steel. It's not really bad corrosion wise, to be honest. This is a keeper I'll not willingly give up just like the above Cruwear millie.
Also, doesn't this one have your name etched on it straight from the factory? A special piece for sure!

For my part, I'd have to say the S110V Forum Native makes me the happiest to use. Firstly, it reminds me of the forum when I do. Secondly, I bought it just before getting married, and planning a wedding involves all manner of incomprehensibly high expenses. Any time I'd get sticker shock, I'd touch my pocket and think: "My dollar still does buy things of incredible value." Thirdly, the F&F is impeccable.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Also, doesn't this one have your name etched on it straight from the factory? A special piece for sure!
Yes, and I'm very grateful of that. Even if it didn't the knife would still rate as high because the steel, heat treat, and design. If someone asked me 3 or 4 years ago if we would see 10V knives at rc 62 I'd have said that I doubt it. How many firsts does Spyderco have under it's belt now?

joe
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Hands down, my first Millie, black blade and camo. Finally learned the Sharpmaker with the help of this knife. First reprofile (FIVE HOURS....the edges on this new knife were nowhere close to even!). First proper apex, first true "hair popping" toothy edge. PUSH cut through a bunch of really tough, thick cardboard the next day, went through it like butter. Dulled the edge, went back inside and renewed the edge back to glory in 20 swipes on the gray rods.

So much sweat equity put into that Millie, we will never part ways.....this is the knife that will be in my pocket when they slide my body into the cooker.

My Chokwe, with beautiful burl scale from Steve. It's used almost exclusively in the kitchen, which means I'm cooking up something yummy and my wife is on her way home from work.
Matt
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Whichever one is in my pocket. :)
I do believe that this sums it up very well!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I like all my Spydies but I do have a soft spot for my Cruwear Millie and lw Manix (s110v) :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ive thought about this one a lot. I think it is the Southfork for me.