Sal, is this even possible? (Caly 3.5 content)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Sal, is this even possible? (Caly 3.5 content)

Post by twinboysdad »

if I recall, the G10 Caly 3.5 was disco'ed because of a manufacturer issue. Could this perfect knife be moved to Golden for production? I know the Native, a similar knife and lock, are Golden products...why can't an equally great blade be made in Golden too? This just can't be the end for the G10 C3.5. Imagine the steel options if this took place?
Liquid Cobra

Re: Sal, is this even possible? (Caly 3.5 content)

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A Caly 3.5 with CPM-S30V would be a nice thing to see indeed. There certainly is a lot of love for the 3.5 here on the forums, but what about the outside world.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal has stated that the Caly 3.5 was more of an afi's knife so I don't think it was as successful with the masses as it is with us knife nuts. Blows my mind.

You do bring up an interesting point that could involve some CQI. Golden has already been making a Caly for a while now basically. The UKPK is just a non locking Caly3 and it has been made in ti, g10 and frn with SCREW CONSTRUCTION. ;) If Golden was ever able to take over the Caly series maybe we could get one with screw construction and maybe even a ti or frn version. Hmmm...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Now there is an interesting idea. I have the Caly3. It is a great knife. I do not have the 3.5 because I have an Endura. If the 3.5 were moved to Golden, it might be cheaper and I would choose it. Having different options on scale materials and blade steels would be awesome.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
swigert

Post by swigert »

Would be awesome to see in different configurations. Sal what do you say?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

swigert wrote:Would be awesome to see in different configurations. Sal what do you say?
Maybe different as in something other than a lockback.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I'd be in for one, I keep thinking the only thing my zdp 3.5 could use is Taiwan fit and finish, If Golden could give as good FF as my Cru-wear Manix 2...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
swigert

Post by swigert »

bdblue wrote:
swigert wrote:Would be awesome to see in different configurations. Sal what do you say?
Compression lock?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

M4 would suit it well, if we are dreaming...
Lost

Post by Lost »

swigert wrote:
bdblue wrote:
Compression lock?
This... 100%!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Do those of you not wanting the Caly 3.5 AS IS even own one? Changing any of the sum of its parts would be an abomination. It ceases to be a Caly 3.5. You would be sacrificing the thinness to change the lock. To me this knife is superior to the Native G10 and no one ever says anything about changing it.
swigert

Post by swigert »

twinboysdad wrote:Do those of you not wanting the Caly 3.5 AS IS even own one? Changing any of the sum of its parts would be an abomination. It ceases to be a Caly 3.5. You would be sacrificing the thinness to change the lock. To me this knife is superior to the Native G10 and no one ever says anything about changing it.

Originally when I mentioned different configurations I meant scales and blade steel.

I do own one. Back locks aren't my favorite....but i do like the compression lock.
Lost

Post by Lost »

twinboysdad wrote:Do those of you not wanting the Caly 3.5 AS IS even own one? Changing any of the sum of its parts would be an abomination. It ceases to be a Caly 3.5. You would be sacrificing the thinness to change the lock. To me this knife is superior to the Native G10 and no one ever says anything about changing it.
Sure do.. Own about 3-4 of them.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I don't own one...but I would buy one if it switched to the compression lock and Golden production...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just meant different handle materials and different steels and changing to screw construction. I didn't mean changing the entire knife. :eek: :D
download (5).jpg
download (5).jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ok, let me take a breath and try again. I am all for new scale material or color, different steels, and Golden production. I like the back lock as is and even though I would prefer screws vs pins, not if it changed the thinness or created a problem for Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sweet! I'll take my caly 3.5 with a liner lock and a blacked out, 4.5", partially serrated, H1 Wharncliffe!! And go ahead and make it a flipper too!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have the 3 in SB and would give my left.......toe for another run of the 3.5 in SB.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:if I recall, the G10 Caly 3.5 was disco'ed because of a manufacturer issue.
I cannot recall any manufacturing issues. Caly3.5 ZDP189 still in production. VG10 variant was discontinued like most of discontinued knives due to insufficient sale. I love the knife and own two of them.
I can recall only one Sal's comment on this topic, the same as Darby mentioned before.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Sal has stated that the Caly 3.5 was more of an afi's knife so I don't think it was as successful with the masses as it is with us knife nuts. Blows my mind.
Sal also commented that there is no enough room for screws in Caly.
Hopefully we will see sprint.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

I bought a Caly 3.5 G-10 on the many recommendations of the folks here, even though it came gritty with the lock and pivot full of hair like pieces of G-10 I'd buy it again. That is the only "manufacturing issue" that I've seen or read about, the amount of threads about this are somewhat abundant. Jeez, fixing that would take blowing the handle out after milling with an air compressor. If that was the reason and the factory couldn't do that then it deserved to be shut down.

I only carry it on Sundays sharing duty with my Sage 3, even with the 3.5" blade it doesn't scare the sheeple. I'm not a knife afi, but I can still appreciate a genius design. It isn't my favorite but I like the design a lot. That larger size blade slipping into a handle the size of a Delica just tickles me every time I get it out. More designs like this would be great!

I quite like the backlock, but I've been told that I'm getting old. Backlocks have been the sturdiest locks I've used and my old Buck stood up very well so I trust them more than some easier to use and possibly better or stronger locks. I'd be perfectly happy with it using the same backlock. I'd move the finger guard placement towards the pivot by .05" or .10" and it would be perfect. That's just because my mitts are a little larger and I like to keep my pointer behind a guard. Even if it wasn't changed, I'd surely be happy to get another. I say bring it to Golden!