I just laundered my pm2...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
grewich

I just laundered my pm2...

Post by grewich »

By accident. The lock was quite sticky. Now after being ran through the wash with my shorts...no more sticky compression lock. Weird eh?

*it was only ran through the washing machine. A high efficiency front loader from Samsung. Just in case someone wants to replicate the process :rolleyes:
SpyderNut

Re: I just laundered my pm2...

Post by SpyderNut »

grewich wrote:By accident. The lock was quite sticky. Now after being ran through the wash with my shorts...no more sticky compression lock. Weird eh?

*it was only ran through the washing machine. A high efficiency front loader from Samsung. Just in case someone wants to replicate the process :rolleyes:
Ha! I've got a washer identical to yours. I didn't know it had a "Spydie" wash cycle. :p I literally just now started a load of laundry. Perhaps I should throw my Manbug in there for a good cleaning. :D
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

During a phone call with Spyderco warranty and service department, I mentioned that sometimes my folder with a ball lock might need to be cleaned if it got grit or a lot of dirt in the mechanism. She told me, "Don't worry about that, just throw it in the washing machine." I thought to myself, "Well, it's CPM-M4, I'd rather not...." But it shows you that the Spyderco employees have faith that it works well, at least on the stainless models.
paladin

Post by paladin »

grewich wrote:By accident. The lock was quite sticky. Now after being ran through the wash with my shorts...no more sticky compression lock. Weird eh?

My condolences...

for your washing machine... :p

it is for sure the sheer toughness of the PM2 caused irreparable harm to your Samsung :eek:
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Just put your knife in the pocket of a pair of jeans and wash them.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I did worse than laundry with one of mine and it didn't affect it a bit. It was very smooth before and it is very smooth now.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bdblue wrote:I did worse than laundry with one of mine and it didn't affect it a bit. It was very smooth before and it is very smooth now.
"worse than laundry". Well thats a bit cryptic. ;)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Surfingringo wrote:"worse than laundry". Well thats a bit cryptic. ;)
OK- S30V model in boiling water (and RIT dye).

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

^^^

I see what you did there... Ran a through the wash with a red T-shirt... Very clever! :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

LOL, just don't stick the thing in a dryer. Oh wait....I've already done that! Yup, the first few tumbles and I went running!!! :D
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

My Squeak has been through our washing machine at least 4 times in the last few years with no ill health noted....Well, apart from the ear-bashing I get from the wife for not checking my pockets again ;)
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Hope your washing machine is OK!

Sorry, couldn't resist that! :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I hope you used fabric softener :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. Having a knife in my pocket since I was 14-15 (57 now).. I have done that a few times but never a Spyderco!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I put my Enduras through the washer and dryer about once a year to help get the insides clean. The detergents strip the oil out of the pocket fuzz stuck down in there and it helps it come out easier. I haven't done it with Super Blue though. I do the knife in the jeans pocket too. If the load of clothes is large enough it won't make too much noise in the dryer but if it does I take it out.

I then re treat the knife with Tuff glide, then the next day wipe off the excess and dry lube it. These Japan produced lock backs get smoother as they age. I still have several E3's , and a couple ZDP models that have a lot of mileage on them and are waiting for more. They don't seem to wear out.

Joe
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

If I am ever in a laundromat with you guys, I think I'll have a look at your cycle while you get a coffee.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I guess it's a good thing the blade hasn't accidentally opened while you guys are laundering your knives, might come back to a completely shredded load of laundry :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

rodloos wrote:I guess it's a good thing the blade hasn't accidentally opened while you guys are laundering your knives, might come back to a completely shredded load of laundry :).
Now the conversation gets really interesting.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I've done this with two or three knives over the years. Just a couple weeks ago it was G10 Native Forum clipped to the right front pocket. Went thru the entire cycle, fabric softener, everything. Only was discovered clunking in the dryer.

Seems to be no worse for wear and has a nice dewy meadow fresh smell to it. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've heard using fabric softener can lower the hardness by 2-3 points. :eek: