Spyderedge Injustice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderedge Injustice

Post by JD Spydo »

I"m not at all alone thinking that many of Spyderco's great past models would have provided nice revenues had they also offered them in Spyderedge. There are many examples of that but the three past Spyderco models that stick out in my mind are the C-111 Captain, the Breeden Rescue and the Superhawk which all would have had huge fan bases in Spyderedge IMO.

There are other models that I'm certain if offered up in Spyderedge would not only generate more interest in serrated blades but would prove to be quite functional and quite useful in many cutting chores. I"ve often wondered what one of their premium recurve models would have been like in Spyderedge? Two recurves that come to mind are the ULIZE and ADVENTURA in particular.

All Hawkbills are much more aggressive in Spyderedge and I hardly ever carry or use one in plain edge for that reason. I would also like to see one of these Dodo Sprints be offered in Spyderedge. I'm sure you all have models you wish would be offered in Spyderedge as well. Because in those models I mentioned I've always thought it to be an injustice that they were not made available in SE.
CyberKlown28

Re: Spyderedge Injustice

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Most say serrations are only good for rope and such, and plain edge destroys it in 90% applications.

Is SpyderEdge different? :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CyberKlown28 wrote:Most say serrations are only good for rope and such, and plain edge destroys it in 90% applications.

The "SPYDEREDGE" is more or less the corporate brand name for Spyderco's fully serrated blades. They do have a serration pattern that is somewhat unique and it is explained in detail in Kenneth Delavigne's great book "THE SPYDERCO STORY" from Palladin Press.

Now Spyderco has had more than one serration pattern over the years. Their K-04 & K-05 models have more of a rounded/wavy type of serration instead of the spikey type of serrations you see on most of their Japan and Golden made folders.

I'm mainly lobbying for certain Spyderco models to be given a chance in Spyderedge. And I believe there are many Spyderco knife models that if given a chance they would surprise everyone as to how good they would be in Spyderedge.

I think you can still get one of those SPYDERCO STORY books from Palladin in paperback but the hardcovers editions are long gone unless you can find one on sale on Ebay or one of the knife forums.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD Spydo wrote: I think you can still get one of those SPYDERCO STORY books from Palladin in paperback but the hardcovers editions are long gone unless you can find one on sale on Ebay or one of the knife forums.
What? How? How much?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

CyberKlown28 wrote:Most say serrations are only good for rope and such, and plain edge destroys it in 90% applications.

I'd bet most of those "most people" haven't ever tried a truly sharp serrated knife either. Can't believe everything you see on You Tube. Serrations certainly are a specialized edge type and definitely excel at certain types of uses, but the uses in which they're poor at are very grossly over exaggerated by people who just fear learning new things and/or don't know how to sharpen them properly.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Evil D wrote:

I'd bet most of those "most people" haven't ever tried a truly sharp serrated knife either. Can't believe everything you see on You Tube. Serrations certainly are a specialized edge type and definitely excel at certain types of uses, but the uses in which they're poor at are very grossly over exaggerated by people who just fear learning new things and/or don't know how to sharpen them properly.

On this same token, I would argue that the functional advantages of serrations are just as overstated. I can sharpen them to just as sharp and any of my plain edges with a coarse finish up to a fine polished finish and whittle hair with all of them. I still don't get what they bring to the table besides an advantage if you have no choice but to cut directly onto hard materials. They also have a slight advantage in edge retention. That's pretty much the only two practical advantages I've noticed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KevinOubre wrote:
Evil D wrote:

On this same token, I would argue that the functional advantages of serrations are just as overstated. I can sharpen them to just as sharp and any of my plain edges with a coarse finish up to a fine polished finish and whittle hair with all of them. I still don't get what they bring to the table besides an advantage if you have no choice but to cut directly onto hard materials. They also have a slight advantage in edge retention. That's pretty much the only two practical advantages I've noticed.

It really just depends on what you cut on a regular basis. Most people who casually use them won't see any advantage, and even more people don't even care to experiment. It's just a shame that too many people don't care to try.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I LOVE them...especially on the salt knives, but I still prefer the majority (90%+) of my knives in plain edge. A good coarse pe can go a long way towards doing everything that a se excels at. See how that works? I love one but love the other more. Thats a lot of love!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:

Excellent point EVIL D because most of the people I talk to who claim they either hate serrations or can't find any valid use for them are just plain not knowledgable about what they are talking about. When it gets right down to it most people are truly intimidated by them>> they fear that they can't sharpen them or they are just simply clueless as to what tool value they truly have.

I can teach anyone with at least a double digit IQ how to successfully sharpen Spyderedges in a very short time. But it does take just a bit of practice>> but it also takes a bit of practice to get good at sharpening plain edges as well.

The gross disinformation floating out there about serrated edges is just completely unfounded. The best way to learn about serrated blades is to get one of Spyderco's better SE folders like a stainless POLICE model or SE Endura and try using it just like you would with a plain edged folder. Yeah INJUSTICE was truly a good choice of words for this thread because serrated Spyders have been getting a bum rap for way too long now.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:I LOVE them...especially on the salt knives, but I still prefer the majority (90%+) of my knives in plain edge. A good coarse pe can go a long way towards doing everything that a se excels at. See how that works? I love one but love the other more. Thats a lot of love!!
That's a great point you make as well Surfingringo because to be flat out honest I do more with my plain edged Spyders than I do with my serrated Spyders>> but my percentages are a bit more than yours most likely because I use one of my serrated Spyders almost daily and at least 3 to 4 times a day in the work I've been doing. I could exclusively use a Spyderedge for my main EDC but there are some jobs that are just better done with a plain edge.

But the jobs in which Spyderedges excel at are well worth having one around. There are a lot of cutting jobs that are done much better with serrations and I find that most of my roughhouse, hard use cutting is better done with the Spyderedge and that way I don't have to worry about messing up a freshly sharpened plain edge.

Speaking of wishing that they would bring back some models in Spyderedge I do wish they would bring back the original FB05 Temperance 1 model in H-1 or the newer nitrogen based steel. The Temp 1 was offered in Spyderedge and it is a beast in Spyderedge and I would love to see what it could do in H-1 in SE & PE both.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I LOVE them...especially on the salt knives, but I still prefer the majority (90%+) of my knives in plain edge. A good coarse pe can go a long way towards doing everything that a se excels at. See how that works? I love one but love the other more. Thats a lot of love!!
That's a great point you make as well Surfingringo because to be flat out honest I do more with my plain edged Spyders than I do with my serrated Spyders>> but my percentages are a bit more than yours most likely because I use one of my serrated Spyders almost daily and at least 3 to 4 times a day in the work I've been doing. I could exclusively use a Spyderedge for my main EDC but there are some jobs that are just better done with a plain edge.

But the jobs in which Spyderedges excel at are well worth having one around. There are a lot of cutting jobs that are done much better with serrations and I find that most of my roughhouse, hard use cutting is better done with the Spyderedge and that way I don't have to worry about messing up a freshly sharpened plain edge.

Speaking of wishing that they would bring back some models in Spyderedge I do wish they would bring back the original FB05 Temperance 1 model in H-1 or the newer nitrogen based steel. The Temp 1 was offered in Spyderedge and it is a beast in Spyderedge and I would love to see what it could do in H-1 in SE & PE both.
Wellll, the funny thing is that even though 90% of my knives are pe, I'd say that way over half of my actual knife USE (I'm talking about folders) is with serrated edge. That statistic is not as odd as it sounds. The thing is, almost all of my real use comes while fishing in my kayak...and ALL of my salts are serrated. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Wellll, the funny thing is that even though 90% of my knives are pe, I'd say that way over half of my actual knife USE (I'm talking about folders) is with serrated edge. That statistic is not as odd as it sounds. The thing is, almost all of my real use comes while fishing in my kayak...and ALL of my salts are serrated. ;)
OK... It's getting deep. I'm gonna' need to see a Venn diagram on this, Lance. :p :D
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I hike in the California coastal range frequently. I hike many less traveled trails in the Berryessa - Snow mountain wilderness. I have really searched for a knife that can cut branches. Not chop but saw through the smaller growth that grow over more remote trails. The Serrated edge Jump Master has really become my favorite. The Spyder Edge cuts through sage and Manzanita like butter. It chops very well. Seems down right indestructible and is light enough to carry all day. I think this knife works so well because of the serrated edge. I also like the H1 steel as it does not discolor after a day in the sheath covered in sap and filth. Just a really great trail knife for my purposes.

A picture from todays hike. It was warm in the hills today.
Attachments
IMG_2807.jpg
Last edited by Archimedes on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:I hike in the California coastal range frequently. I hike many less traveled trails in the Berryessa - Snow mountain wilderness. I have really searched for a knife that can cut branches. Not chop but saw through the smaller growth that grow over more remote trails. The Serrated edge Jump Master has really become my favorite. The Spyder Edge cuts through sage and Manzanita like butter. It chops very well. Seems down right indestructible and is light enough to carry all day. I think this knife works so well because of the serrated edge. I also like the H1 steel as it does not discolor after a day in the sheath covered in sap and filth. Just a really great trail knife for my purposes.
Well "Archimedes" I'm with you all the way>> because I would not go fishing, hunting, backpacking/hiking or do any outdoor venture without at least 2 to 3 of my Spyderedged blades handy. I've got the JUMPMASTER on my "gotta have" list>>and I have had it on that list for a while now. I still use my FB05 Temperance 1 model with the full Spyderedge for a lot of outdoor stuff so I can imagine why you're so high on the JUMPMASTER.

But again I won't rest until I see at least one of Spyderco's great recurve blades in full Spyderedge>> the fact that there is no Recurve Spyder in full Spyderedge is truly an INJUSTICE. Also the original DODO model in full Spyderedge was truly a tank of a knife and a super beast in full Spyderedge and I doubt if there is a blade in that size range that can match a full SE DODO.

There are so many outdoor cutting jobs that almost totally require the services of a full Spyderedged blade. Archimedes I know you remember back in the days when you could still get the LIL TEMPERANCE which I know was one of your all time favorites in the mid 2000s>> and do you remember how much of a beast that knife was in full Spyderedge>> I'm content with my full SE Native and dearly want to get the newest one in full SE. But we need more models in full Spyderedge especially for outdoor type cutting chores.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One model I almost forgot about that is truly an INJUSTICE>> and that is the C-36 Military model no longer being offered up in Spyderedge :( . There was just something ridgid and demanded respect with the Spyderedged, 440V Military model.

One huge INJUSTICE for Spyderedge fans is the fact that they all but made extinct the C-17 Catcherman in it's full Spyderedged blade. That knife is so unbelievably useful in full SE. I use my full SE Catcherman along with my fully serrated FB05 Temperance 1 model in the kitchen and there isn't hardly anything that can't be done with those two exceptional Spyderedged Gems. l

Another Spyderedged past model was the G-10 ROOKIE model. The ROOKIE was truly about the perfect sized EDC folder for most people and it was also in INJUSTICE that it never got the attention and fanfare it deserved as well.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:One model I almost forgot about that is truly an INJUSTICE>> and that is the C-36 Military model no longer being offered up in Spyderedge :( . There was just something ridgid and demanded respect with the Spyderedged, 440V Military model.

One huge INJUSTICE for Spyderedge fans is the fact that they all but made extinct the C-17 Catcherman in it's full Spyderedged blade. That knife is so unbelievably useful in full SE. I use my full SE Catcherman along with my fully serrated FB05 Temperance 1 model in the kitchen and there isn't hardly anything that can't be done with those two exceptional Spyderedged Gems. l

Another Spyderedged past model was the G-10 ROOKIE model. The ROOKIE was truly about the perfect sized EDC folder for most people and it was also in INJUSTICE that it never got the attention and fanfare it deserved as well.
I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on the old version SE Millie. Man, I really should have picked one up when they were still around. :( I did have a CE Millie in those days, which was decent for what I was using it for...
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I keep holding out for a fully serrated Paramilitary.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I just wonder what makes you think they would be such great sellers, when clearly SE does not sell as well as PE. I say this because the trend is for knives that were offered in both PE and SE to only be offered in PE, and the reason for this is poor sales.

This is not a comment on whether or not certain SE designs would actually be "better." It just seems your claim is that they would sell, and I wonder why you think these models are unique in that regard.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:I just wonder what makes you think they would be such great sellers, when clearly SE does not sell as well as PE. I say this because the trend is for knives that were offered in both PE and SE to only be offered in PE, and the reason for this is poor sales.

This is not a comment on whether or not certain SE designs would actually be "better." It just seems your claim is that they would sell, and I wonder why you think these models are unique in that regard.
No that's not what this thread is about at all. The title says it succinctly>> Because there was a time when Spyderco did at least offer most of their premium models in PE & SE>> which was one way Spyderco spurred on the popularity of there premium serrated edged blades. Now it's rare to see one of the premium, highly praised models offered in Spyderedge>> Take the Dodo for instance when it was first released back in 03/04 you could get one in Spyderedge and everyone I knew back then that had one bragged about how great that little blade was in SE.

I just think it would be great even if they would let's say for every 500 they make in plain edge to at least make 75 or 100 in Spyderedge so the guys and gals who avidly love and use the Spyderedged models could have the model they like the best in Spyderedge. Because again at one time just about every marquee model they had was automatically available in PE & SE both and I wish they would at least put out a few of them in Spyderedge to make at least a few available for fans of serrated blades. And if they did even a small percentage of them in Spyderedge that would be a collector's dream down the road because there would be so few of them floating out there that had not been used.

If Spyderco did everything solely on money alone then I'm willing to bet that about half of the sharpening tools they have sold over the years wouldn't have been offered in the main line up. Just look at the Goldenstone for instance>> from what I'm told the sales haven't been very good at all>> but Sal & Co. want to make premium sharpening tools available to the afficionado. There are many other examples of items Spyderco has sold at one time that weren't that great at the box office so to speak but collectors and hard core fans and users got to enjoy them. There are few other companies that are that accomodating. That's the main thrust of this thread.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

JD Spydo wrote:...I just think it would be great even if they would let's say for every 500 they make in plain edge to at least make 75 or 100 in Spyderedge so the guys and gals who avidly love and use the Spyderedged models could have the model they like the best in Spyderedge. Because again at one time just about every marquee model they had was automatically available in PE & SE both and I wish they would at least put out a few of them in Spyderedge to make at least a few available for fans of serrated blades. And if they did even a small percentage of them in Spyderedge that would be a collector's dream down the road because there would be so few of them floating out there that had not been used...
JD, I am not a SE fanatic :p , but think this is a great suggestion. If you then really want a model in SE you can get one if you are quick. It might even increase the demand for SE's if Spyderco keeps the numbers low. I can imagine some collectors would buy a limited edition model just because it is a limited edition.

I am very happy Spyderco decided to make the kitchen knives again. I missed out when they were available in early years. I am growing very fond of the 6 inch SE.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi