most underrated/overlooked spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clevelanddean

most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by clevelanddean »

Greetings. In becoming a new spydie collector (bought my first one about 6 months ago and now i own 6) i have done a ton of research. looked into sprint runs, discontinued models (really wish i had grabbed a caly 3 damascus when i saw it) and have found disappointment when the "discontinued list" comes out. When it comes to spydercos, I am curious to hear which ones people think dont get enough shine and you would hate to see disappear.

Example. The techno gets tons of reviews however it never did much for me, however I love and will purchase next the chubby. Being that I dont hear much about it it makes me want to hurry up and get it before it becomes an urban legend. Same with the dice, never hear much and its a great lil flipper. I have a Domino and want the same look and function for when i want to carry smaller.

so....what do you think are the most overlooked spydies?
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by apollo »

Centofante 3 is overlooked just like the Deshorn and the Superleaf in my eyes. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Centofante3 for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Rock Lobster (which I don't own) is really cool looking.
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Dodo back in the day. ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sage 3 for sure. If more people owned one we'd hear clamoring for more bolt action locks.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Dodo for sure.
Pikal too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

tvenuto wrote:Sage 3 for sure. If more people owned one we'd hear clamoring for more bolt action locks.
Yup, that one too. :) Definitely my smoothest knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Cento3, Sage 3 (blue here).. I too really like the lock on the S 3!! Seems we got the 3 thing going!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

yeah, i have to grab a sage 4 since its on the chopping block. I typically dont like knives with bolsters but spydie does em well. missed out on the Navaja, Valloton is on my list.
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

apollo wrote:Deshorn
Looks like Spyderco mated with a Kershaw Leek. Sweet knife. :)
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Chokwe, Breeden Rescue and the DesHorn
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

harpy....i LOVE my harpy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CyberKlown28 wrote:Dodo back in the day. ;)
You got that one right CYBER ;) When I got my very first DODO model back in late 03/early 04 I first thought it to be nothing but a novelty knife. But I sure overlooked Eric Glesser's genius design>> because the Dodo for it's size may be the most versatile EDC folder I've ever used. I carry mine from time to time and I always love to play with it. It is a bit of a challenge to sharpen but it holds an edge nicely and you can do a lot of cutting chores with that unique design. Not to mention that the Dodo is a mega-beast in Spyderedge :cool:

Two other Spyders that I've always thought that were terribly overlooked are the C-44 DYAD and the original FB-05 Temperance 1fixed blade model.

The big C-44 Dyad is truly the best of both worlds with one super clip point, plain edged blade along with a really nice sheepsfoot, fully serrated blade. Whenever I EDC my Dyad I really feel like I've got all the knives I need for that day.

The FB05 Temperance 1 model originally came in full PE & full SE. I have both and use both quite often. To me it's like the best and most practical fixed blade Spyderco ever made. I so much would like to see it return in one of these newer/better blade steels. Some of Spyderco's older models are much overlooked and very under-appreciated.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Post by Donut »

tvenuto wrote:Sage 3 for sure. If more people owned one we'd hear clamoring for more bolt action locks.
I have one and I like the lock, but for some reason it doesn't find its way into my pocket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

clevelanddean wrote:harpy....i LOVE my harpy.
You're preaching to a very devout choir talking about the HARPY model. To me it's Spyderco's most practical Hawkbill ever made. And it doesn't matter if it's full SE or PE. When I recommend any of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades the Harpy is usually the one I recommend first and foremost. You just can't go wrong with a Harpy and I so much want them to bring back the G-10 Harpy>> it was a dream Hawkbill folder.

Most people have little or no idea how useful that Spyderco's Hawkbill blades are. The TASMAN is also a nice mid sized Hawkbill blade to start out with.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Like a few people said: Chokwe, Cento3, Superleaf, Des Horn, and IMO the Kahr Arms Delica4. Seen a few people get really pissed about the price of the Kahr Delica and I agree, its a little pricey but its such a beautiful and elegant knife. Really practical too.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

Yeah, the harpy is special. Glad it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I stay on the soft hunt for the legendary Japanese pe version. The tasman doesnt do it for me because I REFUSE to buy a frn handle. I enjoy knives that not only function well but are easy even exciting on the eyes. I would love it if the carbon fiber would make another appearance. I have also wondered if it would be better if it had the handle size of a delica (another perfect knife just a bit boring but I have one and want more)
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

As a tiny lil guy I liked the lava also
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JD Spydo wrote:
clevelanddean wrote:harpy....i LOVE my harpy.
You're preaching to a very devout choir talking about the HARPY model. To me it's Spyderco's most practical Hawkbill ever made. And it doesn't matter if it's full SE or PE. When I recommend any of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades the Harpy is usually the one I recommend first and foremost. You just can't go wrong with a Harpy and I so much want them to bring back the G-10 Harpy>> it was a dream Hawkbill folder.

I agree with you J.D about the harpy and indeed the harpy in g10 or CF should be brought back to life. Its the only hawkbill blade i'm looking for. :)