How Good is the Manix 2 XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

How Good is the Manix 2 XL?

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks, can any of you who actually own and have used the Manix 2 XL tell me how good it is and how durable it is? I have seen some claim blade wobble after a bit of use. But, I do not have this knife and was considering getting one. Also, how comfortable is it to use?

Thanks
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jimmyjohnjohn

Re: How Good is the Manix 2 XL?

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I love mine. It's one of my absolute favorite knives. It is substantial and grips/has ergos like no other.

As Putin would say, "If not wear skinny jeans of teenager girl then size of Manix XL not problem."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have an XL that I like but I have not had it long enough for a lot of use. I do have a couple of Manix 2's that I have used a lot and they have not developed any blade play. I would think that you can adjust the pivot tension to reduce excessive blade play.

As for the characteristics of the knife itself- I don't have really meaty hands but I do wear size XL gloves. The XL handle fits my hand well. The knife is not very heavy and is easy for me to carry clipped in my jeans pocket. The only negative to the knife is that it is fairly large from top to bottom and takes a lot of room in your pocket. I like the ball bearing lock more than a liner lock and at least as much as the compression lock. For the record the PM2 and Manix 2 fit me well enough, the XL just feels better.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

While I have one it is on the list to be sold. The design is nice and my example is very tight, although it has seen limited use. But it is extremely large in pocket, and all of the aggressive jimping is not necessary for my purposes.

When I want a larger blade I reach for a military either in g10 or fluted ti.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks guys. I was looking at buying one of these or a Military. I really like the Military, as well as the PM2. But, I thought I would look at something different and cheaper (than the Military). I saw some videos where people used the Manix 2 XL hard, some it did well, and one it did not. But, I always take these videos with a grain of salt.

Has anyone actually put theirs to real use outdoors, or around the home, or work?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I use mine all the time but I never beat on it. That's just asking one of the known points of failure to fail. I beat on my fixed blade knives or a hatchet.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Doc Dan wrote:Has anyone actually put theirs to real use outdoors, or around the home, or work?
It's cut everything I've asked it to, both real and imagined.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I've got the Knifeworks S90V / CF version and greatly prefer it to the regular M2 or even the M2 lightweight. (Although overall I prefer the PM2 / Millie family to the Manix family.) I added an aftermarket deep carry Ti clip to mine so that it sits deeper in the pocket. I definitely prefer the XL's longer blade shape. All models fit well in my hand. It's definitely a pocket Hog, primarily due to the height of the blade.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I had one that was a great knife, but I never ended up carrying it because my Manix2, Para2, or Superleaf fit in my pocket much easier. Definitely give one a try! The GITD ones are still available.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

tvenuto wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Has anyone actually put theirs to real use outdoors, or around the home, or work?
It's cut everything I've asked it to, both real and imagined.
That's good to know, I've been thinking of getting one to use on my hunting trips for unicorns and griffons ;)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I have a factory second S90V version, and it is by far my favorite large folder.

It have used it a ton in the outdoors. I chopped a bunch of 2-3 inch aspen trees down with it, I batoned firewood, and it has barely needed a touchup on the stones. No blade play in any direction, and no noticeable wear.

Hard use test (which it won) viewtopic.php?t=65973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics:

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The XL is not the knife I carry the most, but if I could keep only one knife it would be my CF S90V XL. The XL fits my hand best and feels more comfortable than any other folder. I've also got the black blade model and usually carry it because my CF S90V is so grail like, I have trouble making myself use it. I don't use mine as much as GoldenSpydie, but it's hard not to lop off small limbs you pass by when carrying this folding pocket machete ;)

A few people are not too crazy about the jimping on the liner and one or two have filed it off. These liner jimps are rounded, same as on the Manix 2, and probably useful when wearing gloves. I'm sort of ambivalent about them. I'm almost never even aware of them, but if I had a choice I might have chosen not to have them.

Oh yes, one important thing. The XL has a bit of a bum rap about being heavy. Because of their skeletonized liners, they actually weigh only 5.1 oz, same as the original hollow ground Manix2, though the latter has a variety of weights listed in the electronic site information :)

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I love mine. Most comfortable knife to handle! I have no blade wobble and it has seen some pretty decent use. It is really wide in pocket for me though so it doesn't get carried as often as it should. My S30V model has a crazy edge on it and is a fantastic slicer.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Those are some great pictures. They really bring out the essence of the knife.

I have three large Manix knives, the XL S90V/CF sprint, an S30V XL and the original Manix 1 Foliage Green in S30V. I can't get enough of the large Manix; it's just a stellar knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have one, but it's in the mod queue. I want to narrow that huge blade a bit and skeletonize it a lot. Nice knife - just too heavy and big for my EDC.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks everyone. There is some good feedback, here. The knife is certainly cheaper than a Millie, which was leaning towards. It is about the same weight as a Titanium Military but over an ounce heaver than a standard Military.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Doc Dan wrote:Hi Folks, can any of you who actually own and have used the Manix 2 XL tell me how good it is and how durable it is? I have seen some claim blade wobble after a bit of use. But, I do not have this knife and was considering getting one. Also, how comfortable is it to use?

Thanks
You can adjust the pivot with an allen wrench if there's play.

The Manix XL is a really big folding knife. I bought and used one while I was doing construction work, and haven't carried it regularly since.

Comfort: Judging by the extra handle space relative to the regular Manix, and the jimping within the steel liners, I always felt the XL was most comfortable as a knife to use when wearing gloves, which is why I bought it. Its comfortable without gloves but without gloves the steel liner jimping doesn't work as well.

Durable: I think my XL's S30V was a little burnt because I experienced some unusually large chipping on the factory edge, but after grinding that away its performed superbly.

I think the XL is intended to be a gloves first knife and is built for abnormal amounts of cutting. Its peculiar leaf blade with its huge belly and very tall primary grind can generate major cutting torque. Its not a knife you'll enjoy carrying around as a toy. It was useful for me because I was wearing leather gloves all day and doing carpentry work, flooring, roofing, and then operations (packaging) when I was cutting a lot of plastic and cardboard, and even in that respect it was overkill.

Nowadays I carry a Kershaw Scallion for trivial stuff and a Police 3 if someone tries to play the knockout game.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks. That was useful info, Freehand.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Jazz wrote:I have one, but it's in the mod queue. I want to narrow that huge blade a bit and skeletonize it a lot. Nice knife - just too heavy and big for my EDC.
(Sounds like the Military might work better for you.)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bdblue wrote:(Sounds like the Military might work better for you.)

I have one - not a fan of liner locks. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.