The pain of being a dedicated "user"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

The pain of being a dedicated "user"

Post by Evil D »

I was just daydreaming before starting work about how there are so many knives that I really like and would buy in an instant, if I knew I would use them. The problem for me is that I don't collect knives, I collect users. Because of this, I always carry the best user knives, and that ties into my very specific user expectations and criteria.

This means there are knives that are likely amazing users, and though I would surely love them and love using them, there are always other knives that would still dominate my EDC. That leaves me with knives that rarely get used, and for me that's just not acceptable. I hate seeing knives go unused, and I'd rather spend that money on other hobbies than have it tied up in things I don't use.

Anyone feel the same? It's tough. I was at a gun show a few weeks ago and got to handle some models I'd never seen in person, and I would have gone home with quite a few if I could have justified the money vs use.

A few random models off the top of my head:

1) Nilakka...I continue to lust over this knife. I don't know what it is about it. This is probably at the top of this list for me. If it ever came out in something like Superblue it would push me over the edge.

2) Centofante 3... Excellent knife, and I'm a huge fan of the 4. I still may pick up one someday for light carry, but I have others that own that role right now. Another that I wish would get a sprint, along with the 4.

3) Kiwi 4... I'm holding my breath for something more in this model. Otherwise this is a home run knife for me, I love everything about it, I would just really love something other than VG10. I'm hoping for the CF/ZDP treatment.

4) Zowada... Man what a beautiful knife. It doesn't at all fit my EDC interest but I love the style.

5) Caly 3.5... I know I know, this one is probably a shocker to many. The 3 was the first higher end Spyderco I owned and it's a knife that I credit with teaching me a lot about knife value and about sharpening (ZDP has a way of teaching you just how much you suck at sharpening) and the 3.5 is like a 3 in overdrive. Again, I just don't see it getting pocket time over my favorites. My 3 only comes out on holidays and when I dress up. I do regret skipping out on the SB sprint though.

I'm sure there are more I'll post as I think of them.
Brock O Lee

Re: The pain of being a dedicated "user"

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:...I hate seeing knives go unused, and I'd rather spend that money on other hobbies than have it tied up in things I don't use...
Same here. If I cannot identify a specific role for a knife, I just cannot get myself to buy it. "Pre-need replacement" is not a role in my world, LOL! :D

For that reason I do not own any exact duplicates, it just seems like a waste of money. Instead, I would much rather buy a knife with a unique lock or steel or design feature, as long as I know it will be used.

I bought a Nilakka recently. It is a nice high quality slicer for the office, and defines the "thin edge" boundary. I also bought a Tuff not too long ago, it defines the "thick edge" boundary. I am running out of boundaries in a hurry... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't mind having backups especially if a knife is sure to go up in price later on down the road. I own 3 Yojimbo 2s but will likely sell my S30V version at some point.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I would guess that this a very common theme among knife guys/gals. As a young adult, I now have the funds to support a lot of my hobbies and passions ive had my whole life, knives being one of them. I would consider myself, like you Evil D, to be a collector of users and not wanting to simply collect knives for show (yet). What I've learned though over the last few years of really getting into knives and spyderco's especially is that I cant quench the thirst until I have the knife in my hand. But the trick is then not to carry it for as long a possible. Play with it carefully, no cutting of anything, not even paper. Treat is like the new born baby that it is. Then, after a time, if I still feel like the need the knife I will start to carry it, but some of the time after just handling the knife for a while, it is enough to tell I wont actually enjoy using it and then I will decide to sell it such as the Manix 2 XL (just too big for me) or the yojimbo 2 (too wharncliffy for my uses) This method had kept my size of collection down, and keeps my users to the ones that I actually do want to use. And allows me to still make those impulse buys on the sprints or exclusives that I would have hemmed and hawed over and probably missed it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a collector of users too. I am at the point that I have a hard time fitting all of them into the rotation, even knives I really do like, just because my rotation is dominated by a few favorites. For this reason I have slowed down considerably on purchasing new knives because I do not feel as though I am able to enjoy all of the ones that I have now. I have a long wish list as well but am not sure if any of them would be able to break into the top of my carry rotation so I often hold back.

So yes, I feel the same way. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've acquired a pretty fair number of knives and they all get carried or they end up getting sold. It's hard to justify new purchases because it seems a lot of the ones I have don't get carried enough.

I'm a big fan of the Nilakka. It's an awesome knife, but it was one of those that i always ended up moving out of my collection.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I find myself in the same situation. A collection of users. Granted, most days my users are not pushed even near their limits but I wouldn't hesitate to use any knife that I own. Even the knives I don't like will get carried or gifted to someone who will appreciate them.

This is part of the reason I have dropped off on my purchases, it is getting harder and harder to justify new knives when I have ones that cover off the same purpose. The Kiwi 4 is on the list because it should be a perfect office knife (bulk of my use), aside from that they are all wants not needs.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's all about your definition of "use". I use all my knives too. Some I use to cut things, but most I use for the appreciation and enjoyment of ownership. To me, picking up my Nilakka and admiring its form and craftsmanship is every bit as much "using" it as cutting up cardboard boxes or carving tent stakes. If you're enjoying it, you're using it.
:bug-red-white
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I can say i collect spyderco's like precious gems.
On the other hand all of my gems see pocket time at there turn in the weekends.
For work on the otherhand i have 5 different spydies. An older para 2 , a para 2 all black , Tenacious , techno and my very old delica 4 blue ffg.
Those see real heavy use. The others is more of a playing use like cutting everything you see open because you just want to cut stuff... :p
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I completely agree with the idea that a knife should be used, not simply hoarded. A knife should remain a tool first and foremost. As soon as a knife becomes a piece of art, it becomes less appealing to me. A big part of why I love knives to begin with, is the marriage of form and function that creates a tool that is not only functional but is sometimes visually striking.

But I also think it is up to the individual to define "use". I do not use all of my knives equally or for the same tasks, but they are all carried and cut things frequently. I also do not shy away from having knives that may be redundant in their role. And I'm not above lusting after knives simply because I want to try a different blade shape, steel, or custom designer collaboration.
Last edited by Able Dog on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gbelleh wrote:It's all about your definition of "use". I use all my knives too. Some I use to cut things, but most I use for the appreciation and enjoyment of ownership. To me, picking up my Nilakka and admiring its form and craftsmanship is every bit as much "using" it as cutting up cardboard boxes or carving tent stakes. If you're enjoying it, you're using it.

I get what you're saying, but I also couldn't have "the perfect wife" and only enjoy her through looking at her and fondling her now and then ;)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

All of my folding knives are users and get carried, but I have so many that each one doesn't get carried much.

Right now in my weekday carry rotation I have 2- PM2's, 2- Manix 2's, 1 or 2 Manix 2 XL's, 1 Military, and a Bradley folder. That's 8 knives just counting the ones from Spyderco, and I do have a couple of models from other brands that I like to carry too. And that's not counting a couple of knives that I only carry on weekends. I would like to reduce the numbers so that each one can get more use but so far there are none in the group that I'm willing to let go of.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I definitely agree with David. I have a small modest collection of about 20 knives, but I still don't use all of them. I will most likely sell the majority of my non spydie knives soon to make room for more spydies that I plan to acquire throughout the year. All of my Spydies are users and they perform the tasks I ask of them exceptionally well. I plan out all the tasks I perform, the different situations I am in at different times, what I'll be doing each day and modify my EDC accordingly. But I can guarantee that I wont buy a knife if I cant carry it and use it for any kind of cutting task that comes my way.
Lost

Post by Lost »

Evil D wrote:
gbelleh wrote:It's all about your definition of "use". I use all my knives too. Some I use to cut things, but most I use for the appreciation and enjoyment of ownership. To me, picking up my Nilakka and admiring its form and craftsmanship is every bit as much "using" it as cutting up cardboard boxes or carving tent stakes. If you're enjoying it, you're using it.

I get what you're saying, but I also couldn't have "the perfect wife" and only enjoy her through looking at her and fondling her now and then ;)

This legitimately made me laugh out loud.. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes, but what if you had 200+ wives? :eek:
If I had to justify putting every knife I own to real use, I'd still only have my Tenacious right now. :D
:bug-red-white
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I collect users too. I accept that each knife will see little carry and use because I have so many. If you're going to limit yourself then isn't the natural evolution to have only one knife? I don't see a little used knife as a waste. I like having variety.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah EVIL I'm with you all the way with that C-56 Zowada model which is in my all time top 10 list. I've had a Zowada for a user in the past and it is far more functional that you might think. I've owned the Zowada in both VG-10 and AUS-8 and I loved both of them.

Now I differ from you somewhat because I do have a collection of Spyders and other blades that I don't use at all. However I do have a collection of "users" just like you desribed. How many people do you know here in Spyderville that has a blue handled, VG-10, plain edged Spyderhawk user?>> probably not many folks?

I also have a C-46 Lum Tanto folder as a user as well. I tend to like a lot of the exotic, special model Spyders as users. Dr. Hannibal Lecter from here on the Forum who chimes in a few times a year is also much like yourself. He tends to use all of his Spyders as well>> or at least he used to have that same regimen as you have.

It seems like just about every Spyderco fixed blade I've ever owned inevetibly becomes a user>> Spyderco's fixed blades truly are meant for hard use and there are very few Spyderco fixed blades that have any significant collector value anyway so you might just as well use them when you snag them.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I had quite a stash at one time. Now I am down to a handful of users. I only have one safe queen (my Navaja).

Somewhere along the line I changed from a user/collector to just a user. I see plenty of new models that come along and get the itch a bit, but don't pull the trigger because right now I have what I need - heck more than I really "need".

The one that troubles me now is my Military in M390. I love it but don't use it too much. I like it when I need it, but have thought about selling it. Oddly enough, I pulled it out today and pondered selling it but changed my mind.

The only knife I would buy right now would be a SE Dodo if it came along at the right price. They are kinda pricy on the secondary market, but I keep a lookout.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

mikerestivo wrote:
The one that troubles me now is my Military in M390. I love it but don't use it too much. I like it when I need it, but have thought about selling it. Oddly enough, I pulled it out today and pondered selling it but changed my mind.
It is the balance that I struggle with. I can sell knives easy enough but in the end I find it SO much easier to buy than to sell. If I could find a balance there I would be all set but alas, the collection continues to grow. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I guess for me it's a bit more complicated. If by "use" you mean carrying a knife frequently and using it as the occasion arises, then I do have certain knives that I like in that role. One "use" for me is as an object of appreciation and admiration and not necessarily one to be put to work. Putting certain knives on display, or taking them out now and then to handle and admire is a legitimate use. Keeping some knives in pristine condition to appreciate how the maker meant them to be is also fine with me. There is obviously the advantage of receiving a higher selling price over a used knife should it come to that.

Although I am not able to engage in it, collecting would be a very satisfying and worth-while use of what I would consider exceptional quality knives. If I were collecting I am not sure I would have a theme or driving purpose for it, like certain steels, or colors or styles. For me it would be just whatever knives moved me to want to buy it and appreciate having it.

Strictly for use knives, considering my own needs, I think I would settle on a Delica 4 and a Dragonfly 2, both straight edges. Now, I don't need more than those even though I do have a couple more Spydercos. Any additional Spyderco knives I may buy in the future will likely not be because I need additional "user" knives, but because I appreciate certain ones for their other properties: materials, blade shapes, weight and zoowie factors.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation