Tasman or Atlantic salt for kayaking?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vampyrewolf

Tasman or Atlantic salt for kayaking?

Post by vampyrewolf »

Hey everyone... I'm still around, just busy with classes for another month.

Picked up a kayak for cheap, going to start using it this summer. Going through my gear here, and other than a light PDF and seeing if my small drybag fits without modifying anything... next up is a knife for the lake...

Would you folks say the tasman or atlantic would work better? Assuming at this point that it's primarily going to cut lines, and I'll have better gear in a drybag anyways. As a flatlander I don't have the expertise to know if hawkbill or sheepsfoot is better in the long run on open water.

Re: Tasman or Atlantic salt for kayaking?

Post by 1623 »

You need to speak with Lance (Surfingringo). :cool:
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi vmpyrewolf, personally I would recommend the pacific salt or the salt 1. I use those two in my kayak daily. I have both the atlantic salt and the tasman but neither gets as much use as the pacific as the blade shapes just aren't as universally functional...at least not for my uses. Enjoy the kayak!

Btw, when it comes to the salt knives I always choose the serrated versions as they seem to have much better edge retention than PE H1.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings VAMP!! Great to see you again my friend from the mid 2000s :D Definitely first and foremost for Kayaking and white water rafting I would highly recommend either one of the H-1 Hawkbills i.e. the Tasman or an older H-1 Spyderhawk if you can still locate one. Anything in the H-1 Salt series in great for any type of water activity in my book.

Hey Vamp have you checked out that new seafaring models of Spyderco's called the TUSK? It's an awesome looking mariner's blade and it's on my "gotta have" list. Great to see you back posting again.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Another vote for the Salt 1...mine (plain edge) served as a reliable, non-rusting EDC for a trip to Florida. I touched it up every few days, but I didn't notice the edge retention being especially bad. I definitely recommend it!

Underwater pic:
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Surfingringo: After 12yrs with the endura, I can use it blindfolded... but wasn't sure if the Pacific was a good choice.

Does the work hardening aspect of H1 help with edge retention on PE? Pretty much expecting this to live on the PDF with kydex.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I actually prefer the Pacific Salt to the endura. The knife is plenty stable without liners and I find the action on the washerless salt is smoother with even less play than the Endura/delica. Highly recommended and if you are already comfortable and happy with the endura design then it's a no brainer.

I don't think the edge retention really changes with repeated sharpening but there are some long time owners on here who feel that it does. Either way, the edge retention isn't horrible or anything, it's just not as good as the serrated models. If you really prefer pe then don't be worried about going that route. It doesn't hold an edge forever but it sharpens up super easy and takes a hair popping edge with very little work.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd recommend a Caspian if you can find one. Of course, I always have a Pacific in my pocket when kayaking, too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I don't kayak fish but I do prefer the Pacific......se.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Yeah, the Pacific SE would be a great knife for paddling. What sort of kayak did you get? Sit in or open deck type boat?

And do you still happen to have your old SS Dragonfly? You posted a pic of it when I was new to the forum that stuck with me for some reason.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Which ever you choose get it in se. I've been carrying my h1 dragonfly in se daily since I've got it and it's really nice. Havnt got it out on the water much lately but the serrations do make quick work of braid and mono. Id probably go with the Pacific salt. Would be a great all around knife for fishing. Big enough to cut any size bait and line but yet not too big so it won't get in the way. I'm waiting for the new black bladed salt models to come out before I buy anymore though.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

You know... this forum REALLY needs a multi-quote option... had to fire up a laptop to do this rather than go up and down on my phone.

JD: Check your PM's ;) Saw the tusk, but don't have any use for shackle keys. My water time lately has been spent on dad's 30' might-as-well-be-a-yacht... holds 10, sleeps 6, kitchen and washroom on-board... At least the 26' he bought last year works in 1/2 the depth of water.

GoldenSpydie: Was the usage reasonable to create the need to touch up that often, or is that the problem with PE in H1?

Surfingringo: the 98 model endura was liner-less, so that's nothing new... actually the same barrel-bolt handle as the salt line uses :p
Edge retention on SE vs PE is always higher, simply due to the mechanics of cutting with SE. Properly sharpened PE will out cut SE in 90% of use. But I've written pages upon pages of sharpening technique.

Jazz: You know, I was too busy when I was in the oilsands to poke around the forum and visit with local members... need to fix that eventually...

TDog: I don't really fish, that would involve actually catching something... I just spend 3hrs wondering why the fish don't like me and go back to camp to make something else.

flip8: Just a small sit-in... Pelican Wave, 9'6"... Capable of rougher water, which means when we get a good wind on that lake I don't have to worry.
Still have the SS 'fly, still have the edge sitting at the ~12.5deg inclusive bevel that the blade is ground at. ****, I still have the glasshart version in the box, and a g-10 in box right beside it in the drawer... some of the knives won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

i am travvy: size isn't really a concern for me, I carry a ti millie 99% of the time (and have had a millie in rotation since 2002). Most of my rope when outdoors is either 550 or climbing accessory rope (1/8" line, 250lbs static load), though I've been known to rig things up with 50lbs spiderwire. Might have to adjust a PE to bite better on wet lines, but those lines cut nicely.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Vampyrewolf, there is more to the difference in edge retention than just SE vs. PE geometry. Serrated h1 ends up significantly harder than its PE counterpart due to the hardening process. I have had a lot of issues with pe h1 rolling when cutting harder media. Ymmv.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Had a PE endura alongside my SE at work for about a month... same steel and long enough to give it a solid workout... the SE outperformed as the separate curves grab and change angles on the material as you pull rather than only a single plane in PE. PE CAN be sharpened to outperform on a pull for rope (esp nylon twine and poly rope)... the subtle tricks...
That said, both my FRN endura are SE...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

vampyrewolf wrote:Had a PE endura alongside my SE at work for about a month... same steel and long enough to give it a solid workout... the SE outperformed as the separate curves grab and change angles on the material as you pull rather than only a single plane in PE. PE CAN be sharpened to outperform on a pull for rope (esp nylon twine and poly rope)... the subtle tricks...
That said, both my FRN endura are SE...
Yes sir, I understand what you are saying and agree. I was just making sure that you understood that h1 behaves differently and is hardened differently than other steels. The result is that the steel itself will have different properties between the se and pe versions. I believe that pe h1 is in the 56-58 rc range where se h1 has been tested as high as 65. I don't have the data in front of me so don't take that as gospel but i believe those numbers are close.