Lest we forget...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Lest we forget...

Post by Surfingringo »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Very cool Lance. I can't wait to see what you fillet with that! ;)
P.S. I enjoyed your article in Blade magazine very much.

Dan
Haha, actually Dan, I think I'm going to fillet a mackerel with it when I get home. I was planning to do a little thread about filleting a fish with something like a dragonfly...just to show how that job can be accomplished with any sharp object (though maybe not so efficiently). But I'm thinking now that the dogtag would be an even better experiment. :cool:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

That is rad! Kindness and generosity can be contagious, let it spread! :)
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If I can field dress a deer with a SAK then I'm sure you can fillet a mackerel with a dog tag. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

That's great SG!! You certainly deserve it. I really enjoy your posts, and threads. Here and over at BFC. My hat is off to the anonymous gift giver.

Do I sense this might be the start of a "Pay it Forward with a Spyderco" thread? :eek: :D ;)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really nice gesture. If I had the cash I'd probably do this all the time. People really underestimate the power of generosity and how good it can make you feel.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice one Lance and thanks to the mystery member :)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Dogtag, maybe you can also get one of Martin Schempp's knapped stones and compare modern vs. ancient cutting edges :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:Really nice gesture. If I had the cash I'd probably do this all the time. People really underestimate the power of generosity and how good it can make you feel.
I remember listening to an NPR bit on how they did a little experiment that showed this exact thing. They handed some people $5 and told them to spend it on themselves. Often these people did something ordinary like buy lunch. They handed different people $5 and told them to spend it on someone else. Apparently this group got far more creative in how they spent the $5, like buying balloons and then handing them out to kids and such. Afterward they asked everyone how satisfied they were to spend that $5, and the giving group was far more satisfied with the act of spending $5 than the people who were instructed to spend it on themselves.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Really nice gesture ! :)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A well-chosen recipient.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

"Pay it forward" and "give more than you get" - words to live by. Many thanks to your donor for reminding us all!

And thanks for the pic of it hanging as an actual 'dog tag' (around the neck)... I like the look, a lot.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kudos to the giver and getter!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Very well done, Grngo, I would have at least entertained the thought of choosing a medium priced knife. I can't think of a good word meaning not greedy, but that would be you, haha. And I strongly agree with Mr. Wilson about the valuable real world experience you contribute to the Spyderco community... and I'll have to check out the Blade Magazine article -- congratulations.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
christopher

Post by christopher »

Very nice gesture. Kind of humbling. Thanks to the donor!