Sharpening forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Sharpening forum

Post by sal »

Hi all,

It has been suggested that we use a separate forum for sharpening as opposed to knives. While I don't know that I'm ready for another forum (been pretty busy lately), I can see both advantages and disadvantages, so I thought to get your thoughts,

sal
Holland

Re: Sharpening forum

Post by Holland »

It's a cool idea, but in my opinion I don't think it is necessary. I really like the simplicity of this forum and think the sharpening topics fit in great with general discussion :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The off topics section could easily be used for such things but some feel the need to post things here So more will see them. I don't see it as necessary personally
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

If these suggestions have something to do with what I think it does:

The "issues" has less to do with topic. Most recent one was about an abused FRCP Manix AND pride. Point being, one or 500 subforums, any egotistical know it all can be present in all of them. I mean, while a nice feature, a sharpening and testing subforum can easily be taken over by one overbearing character also.

We'll continue to see vets like The Deacon participite less and the rest of us just live with it. In a medical sense one can live with some permanent diseases, just have to manage it when it flares up. Well.. There IS a way but that's not gonna happen.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like a job for the Department of Redundancy Department ;)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Good idea, Sal...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that there could be an in between forum. You could have one for Spyderco Products "Spyderco Product Discussion" , one for technical not Spyderco but knife related topics "Technical Knife Discussion" and then just "off topic".

I also agree with the comments that we don't really want to make more work for you guys.

I think that the reason that off topic posts do not end up in off topic is due to the very low traffic.

I also wonder if the reason for this suggestion is to nudge someone out of the General Discussion section which seems like an indirect way of dealing with something.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

I think general discussion should be a broad enough umbrella to fit a wide variety of topics, people can pick which threads to read and participate in by the title easily enough. Making multiple forums makes it much easier to miss interesting information.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I like the general forum and all of its different directions. If I don't want to read or participate in a thread, nothing forces me to.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I like bearfacedkiller's suggestion. Makes total sense to me. Kills many birds with one stone.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
swigert

Post by swigert »

Love the idea. I'm a definite yes. I think sharpening threads clutter GD.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Or maybe there could be a time out corner for FCM415 to go sit in while he cools off so that he doesn't insult other members anymore. That'd be pretty nice.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Bodog wrote:Or maybe there could be a time out corner for FCM415 to go sit in while he cools off so that he doesn't insult other members anymore. That'd be pretty nice.
I am calm and please dont PM me.

Single me out all you want out of the entire forum that is singling someone else out. That is nice, not gonna do anything though.
Last edited by FCM415 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I tried to keep you from constantly antagonizing people with personal insults that have no place here. You rebuffed me so I said what I said publicly here. I don't believe I was rude. Have a nice day.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Unless the need is pressing, I'd say no. I tend to use the Search function to hone in on threads or topics of interest anyway. Less work for the moderators if you keep it simple.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I am with Sal here....

I would highly recommend waiting and see how things go for awhile 1st. ;)

I just have this vision of...... Never mind. :D

Carry on. :)
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I feel that a sharpening forum is a great idea. Sharpening and maintenance. I would say at this point in my life sharpening is a skill I am ok at and I can always learn something, but I find it kind of a boring subject. It seems to be a pretty dominate subject in terms of thread count, whenever I check the General Discussion. I am interested in collecting, new models and what people are doing with knives and tools, sharpening not so much.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Where would one draw the line between "General" and "Technical"

Sounds like more work and a vehicle for one to dominate the discussion.

I'm all for cleaning up General Discussion, it would seem that what is needed may be customer service orientated sub for users to post problems with Spyderco product rather than having the potential of a derailed discussion cluttering up the General Discussion area for literally everyone to see.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Scroop wrote:Where would one draw the line between "General" and "Technical"

Sounds like more work and a vehicle for one to dominate the discussion.

I'm all for cleaning up General Discussion, it would seem that what is needed may be customer service orientated sub for users to post problems with Spyderco product rather than having the potential of a derailed discussion cluttering up the General Discussion area for literally everyone to see.

Now that would be an idea that I could be behind 100%. :spyder:

Only the Admins and Mods would really need to reply... Would be nice and tame, easy to Mod. :spyder:

Defiantly a good positive idea I think. :)
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

How about keeping sharpening topics in "general" and make a "collectors forum" instead?