New to this forum and to Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: New to this forum and to Spyderco

Post by sal »

ChrisinHove wrote:Hello! Judging from what you've posted so far, you're clearly sane and level headed.... so a big welcome from me,too!
If he's here, he may be level headed, but he clearly can't be sane. ;)

sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome Michael. I've loved knives all my life since Pop gave me my first pocket knife when I was 10 or 11 I think. Of course within a week I cut my finger to the bone. Ouch. Then he bought me a hatchet. :eek: Not sure if there was a message there or not??? :) We spent lots of time in the woods back then.

Spyderco knives have proven to be a one knife company source to fill about any knife need. My son has a few Spyderco's and the Persistance in the value line he says is about his favorite. He has it sharpened with very low edge angles and it slices like a dream. Even Spyderco's less expensive "value" knives are better than so many other companies knives. Another thing that impresses me about Spyderco is the eagerness to use top of the line blade steels. I'm retired also and while that cuts down on the funds I still find myself saving for the knives I want. Problem is when I'm saving for knife "A", I may get knife "B" before "A". :) I can't collect knives either because I don't really want one I don't use. I've sold or traded lots of great knives just because when I pick up one to carry I choose something else. My most recent purchase is the sprint run Worker and while I can't put my finger on why, I absolutely love that knife. Plus the Worker was the first model Spyderco started with I believe. That's kinda cool.

Again, welcome.

Jack
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for all of the nice welcome notes. Did anyone say you have to be sane to be a member here? I don't remember that popping up in the registration process. Of course there are many things I no longer remember, so I just trust to those voices in my head. :)

Well, living here at 7000' winter has decided to pay another visit. Snowing like gangbusters right now and no sign of the UPS truck. So, perhaps the Tenacious will be delayed a day. My voices say it's ok, but they've lied to me before...
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Welcome to the forum MS.

I'm from a little ways up the road past Wichita Falls and I drive through Bowie frequently, at least as close as the freeway allows you to go through there. I've driven though La Veta before but usually when I go into Colorado I go into Durango from the south.

The Tenacious is a good knife, very underrated in most discussion. My favorites are the Paramilitary 2 and the Manix 2, but the Tenacious is almost as good as they are.

We have arguments about how Jim Bowie pronounced his name, but we know how people in the town of Bowie pronounce it now.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

"Boo E"
That's how I always heard it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome from a fellow Coloradan ! :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Welcome, Michael. If you ever make it up to Denver, it is worth a detour to the Spyderco Factory Outlet in Golden. There you can see and even handle their current line of knives in a friendly environment staffed by knowledgable employees. This is a very well behaved forum, one worth contributing your mindshare to.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bill1170 wrote:Welcome, Michael. If you ever make it up to Denver, it is worth a detour to the Spyderco Factory Outlet in Golden. There you can see and even handle their current line of knives in a friendly environment staffed by knowledgable employees. This is a very well behaved forum, one worth contributing your mindshare to.
Thanks! I get up to Boulder a few times each year. We lived there, and in Longmont, for many years before work took us to California, then back home to Colorado. Our daughter lives in Boulder so we get up to visit now and then. A visit to the Spyderco store is definitely on my agenda, especially since the sane way to get around Denver is to go through Golden. I would love to see all of the models for real and I'm sure I'll have a few questions to boot.

Team Innovation
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Welcome Michael... I am jealous, my chances of a visit to Golden are remote at best... :)

Enjoy your stay here...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome to the forum Michael, enjoy your stay. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Nice to meet you Michael! Glad you could join us, I'm sure you're going to enjoy spending time here.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Michael, enjoyed reading about your intro to Spyderco. Very much like my own and my firs love was also the Dragonfly...though the salt version. Welcome to the forum.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum Michael and thank you for your military service. God bless you and please feel welcome, you have made excellent posts.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Welcome to the forum Michael and thank you for your military service. God bless you and please feel welcome, you have made excellent posts.
You are welcome. Those were eight years I will never regret.

And, thanks for your comment on my posts. I want to be a contributing member and add to the forum's value, which I see as both a community around a particular company, philosophy and products, and a place for exchanging knowledge and information. I spent the last part of my business career with IBM, dealing always with customers. In my experience, it is the rare company or organization that operates by solid, ethical values and bases their actions and products on those values, and Spyderco is one of those. I'm glad to be here.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:Thanks for all of the nice welcome notes. Did anyone say you have to be sane to be a member here? ....
It's all relative.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael, take a look at the Spyderco Endura, especially the Saber-ground ones. Very well-made and like all Spyderco knives, top of the line.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of my all-time favorites :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the forum Michael, I am glad to see you here.
R
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Welcome to the Forum.