Schempp Bowie after 2 months of carry - pics and review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Schempp Bowie after 2 months of carry - pics and review

Post by gbelleh »

It's been a little over two months since I got the Schempp Bowie, and it hasn't left my right front pocket since then. After carrying and using it every day for the last couple months, it has quickly become one of my favorites (which is becoming a long list, I know).

So far, the brass bolsters have been holding up well for me. There are some light scratches and dings, but nothing that detracts from its appearance, IMO. In fact, I really like the way it's wearing. The darkening, and discoloration look very nice, as the brass bolsters are really beginning to show character. :D

The blade of the Bowie has been excellent for my daily uses. The relatively narrow blade and sharp point, are perfect for opening mail. The blade also made quick work of a large pile of cardboard boxes last weekend. Unlike many Schempp designs, this blade is almost all edge, and choking up in the choil places that edge right in front of the finger for precise and secure detail cutting.

The ergos of this knife might look a little strange, but for me, it all just works. The knife balances well in the hand, and the handle shape and subtle CF texture provide a solid grip. Placing the index finger in the choil, and thumb on top of the blade, offers excellent control over the blade. I find that the bolsters don't get in the way at all during use.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how well this knife works in hand, especially after being a little concerned about the ergos before receiving it.

The small cutaway in the bolster opposite the liner, allows easier access to the lock, making closing the knife much easier than the Navaja, while still being very secure.

The dark wire clip carries deep and discreet in the pocket, and much like the Schempp Khukuri, the closed knife has a very narrow profile. Even though this is quite a large knife, it carries easily.

Overall, this is yet another knife that far surpassed my expectations in actual use. My example displays typical Taichung excellence. It operates smoothly, with amazing fit and finish. The blade came extremely sharp out of the box, it has good closed retention, and solid lockup that has settled in at about 60%. This is one of Ed Schempp's best and most useful designs, IMO. It's beautiful, it's highly capable, and it's looking better and better every day.

:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Re: Schempp Bowie after 2 months of carry - pics and review

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is high on my list. Thanks for the great review. I handled it at the SFO a few times and agree that the ergos are much better that they look. Also, it has thin stock for it's blade length which is appealing to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Very high on my list as well, beautiful design and I was blown away by the ergos the first time I handled it at last years Spydiemeet. Probably also one of very few where I might actually be happy about the clip just being tip up, I really prefer tip down but on this blade it wouldn't look good.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

gbelleh wrote:
The small cutaway in the bolster opposite the liner, allows easier access to the lock, making closing the knife much easier than the Navaja, while still being very secure.

This was one of my bigger concerns as it requires a bit more finesse to get the Navaja lock disengaged. Glad to hear it is better!

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time, I have been on the fence with this model but it is growing on me quickly (as did the Navaja).
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great review Gino, I do really like how the bolsters are darkening up. I haven't taken the plunge on this one yet, another recent Bowie offering still has my full attention. What are your thoughts on comparing the Slysz to Schempp Bowies? Apples to oranges I know, but do you find the Schempp to be superior in some way? Thanks, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Gino, have you taken yours apart and smoothed all the sharp edges?

I did a few days ago, made a world of difference! I also naturally hold mine with my thumb atop the blade, seems the most ergonomic way, given my XXL size hands. No patina forming on my brass, yet, but I sure am looking forward to it!

Quickly becoming one of my favorite every day do most anything blades.....it wasn't two months ago that I absolutely despised the look of this knife, now I'm loving it!
Matt
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

That patina is beautiful! I absolutely love my schempp bowie!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great review Gino :). Love the knife design, especially the negative blade angle Ed always seems to work in, but it's a smidgen too long for me.

Can't say enough good things about nonferrous patina. The acidic smell of pennies becomes addictive... ;)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I was actually underwhelmed with this one when I first saw pictures of it. There was just something about the design, it didn't have a nice flow like a lot of other models.

But after reading more about it, specifically user testimonials like yours, I can't help but add it to the ever growing list of Spydercos I want. Thanks for the write up.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Thanks for the review man. Probably my favorite parts of these forums.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great review Gino, you have inspired me to finally carry mine for a few days, I wanted to keep it pristine but after seeing that patina I just cant resist.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for all the comments.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Great review Gino, I do really like how the bolsters are darkening up. I haven't taken the plunge on this one yet, another recent Bowie offering still has my full attention. What are your thoughts on comparing the Slysz to Schempp Bowies? Apples to oranges I know, but do you find the Schempp to be superior in some way? Thanks, Radioactive :)
The Slysz Bowie is excellent, but there are a few things I prefer about the Schempp. I like the narrower blade shape, and more acute tip of the Schempp. The Schempp opens smoother and easier for me. I like the negative blade angle of the Schempp, and the option of choking up on the handle with the choil. I also like the Schempp's pocket clip better. I fixed the snagging issue with the Slysz clip by swapping it out with a Manix 2 lightweight clip, but that made it ride higher in the pocket. And, I like the style and character of the Schempp, with its brass, cf, and more dramatic Bowie blade shape. But don't get me wrong, the Slysz Bowie is fantastic too. But I find the Schempp Bowie a bit more intriguing and satisfying to own and use.
Razzle wrote:Gino, have you taken yours apart and smoothed all the sharp edges? I did a few days ago, made a world of difference!
I didn't take mine apart, but I did sand down the sharp liner edges as best I could. It did make a huge difference.
farnorthdan wrote:Great review Gino, you have inspired me to finally carry mine for a few days, I wanted to keep it pristine but after seeing that patina I just cant resist.
It's been a joy to carry and use this knife for the last couple months. The patina is an added bonus!
RadioactiveSpyder

Very nice, thank you. Would you be so kind to get a shot alongside a Kris and the Persians? Heck, a shot of your whole Schempp family of knives? That would be an amazing shot on top of your favorite trunk there! Thanks! R/S :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No problem. Here are some quick pics. The lighting isn't good, but should give you an idea.

Schempp Bowie along with the Kris and original large Persian.

Schempp Bowie along with the Navaja and Barong.

Schempp Bowie along with another great Bowie, the Slysz Bowie.

The whole current Schempp family. :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wow! Great to see them all together, also makes the hurt of not owning so many great Schempp models a bit less. I think this is actually the sexiest one so far! (with the Barong very close)
Shame for us Europeans that the euro rates are so bad, shopping stateside is even more expensive than usual but this one will be on my next order. :D
RadioactiveSpyder

WOW Gino!! The family resemblance is unmistakable isn't it, Papa Schempp DNA all over them! ;). Really great pics, thank you very much. Pretty much clinches it for me, I'm no longer on the fence, I'll have to try to get one soon! Cheers, Radioactive :)
christopher

Post by christopher »

Thanks Gino. Very nice review, I'll bet Sal likes it too. Gotta get one. ****, not yet my money source is empty. Have to get it filled up next Wednesday. Then I can begin enjoying it.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I love my Schempp Bowie...it's definitely in my top 5 of my 46 current Spydercos and has definitely surpassed my expectations. It's great in a lot of different grips, the point as well as the belly are very useful, and mine has also been holding up well. I'll have to snap a more recent picture of mine but my bolsters are a little different...a few more scratches because I've carried it at work in my coveralls and the bolsters have been scratched by my other knives, but they haven't discoloured yet like yours.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

You guys have almost talked me into getting a Shempp Bowie to check out.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't want to peer pressure you...but "Do it!!!" lol.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden