Paramilitary 1 Enthusiasts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Paramilitary 1 Enthusiasts?

Post by paladin »

Hello, any of you out there?

There are a couple things I prefer the PM1 to the PM2 in a head-to-head matchup...

One, the ergos fit my hand noticeably (to me) better than the PM2's. I know this is highly subjective and in consideration of everyone's unique hand anatomy.

Two, most importantly, the adjustable pivot...a biggie for me. I am not a "flicker." And, while the "freely falling blade? of the PM2 is cool & fun to Spyderbate with, I like to lock down my pivot for added security in retention open & closed.

And while it's impossible to quantify, the opening of the Para 1 feels smoother & more tight than the Para 2.

Just my 2cents and trying to show some love for a real gamechanger in the history of the company! :D :spyder:
Evil D

Re: Paramilitary 1 Enthusiasts?

Post by Evil D »

I've been on both sides of this fence. I loved the 1 so much that I avoided the 2 when it came out, but slowly came around and bought the 2 and now prefer it for many reasons. That said, I do still love my 1 and won't ever sell it. I do however prefer the looser pivot on the 2, and really wish the 1 had it. To this day the 1 is the only knife I can't seem to dial in the pivot well enough that it opens freely but has no play.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wow, I'm used to hearing those concerns on the 2...that is, about getting it "dialed in"

I sold my KW sprint cause it was impossible for me to balance out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I can make it "smooth" but I do prefer the free falling blade...to me that's the best part of the compression lock design, I like that I can close the knife with just my hand and no other action like pushing the blade shut. Most of my favorite knives are favorites for this reason. This was probably the biggest reason I moved on to the 2, other than more blade length. I also prefer the larger screws.
paladin

Post by paladin »

yup..more hearty fasteners on the PM2 ... a big +1

Hey, David, do you or anyone else know any scalesmith that's doing replacement scales for the PM1?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like both but prefer the Para2.

This guy is still an awesome blade.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Steve Ketchen aka spketch on BF may be able to help you out with custom PM1 scales. He recently started doing scales with nested liners. His contact info can be found in his BF thread. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I'm a fan of the original

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Less bulk in pocket makes me prefer the PM2 for carry but I like the solidity of the feel of the PM1 pivot.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I was and still are a fan of Para1 and I was stupid enough to give it away.Stupid, stupid ! But nevertheless I love my Para2's.I only wish they improve the handle/blade ratio.Keep the blade as it is and shorten and refine the handle
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I'm a big fan of the Para 1, and I think its an icon in the lineup of groundbreaking Spydercos.
I wanted one back when it was first available, but couldn't afford it at the time. It wasn't until after the second version was released that I finally got a Para 1.
Now I own two, a black on black, and a fg d2.
Would love to find a se version.
The look and feel of that short blade just does it for me, and the ergos are perfect.
I doubt I'll ever get a 2 because I just don't like the way it looks, compared to the 1.
Just my opinion.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Really love my PM1, also because of the steel (CPM D2) but I still prefer the design of the PM2 and when we'll finally be able to get an M4 version I'll have my dream PM.
Spend 7 months traveling with my PM1, mainly NZ and some time in the SW of the USA and some time in Samoa, got to test it plenty and it was always perfect! (sometimes using a small fixed blade or a tomahawk for chores that where a bit harder)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I like the PM1 well enough. But for me, the PM2 is perfection. :D

black/black/se PM1

black/satin/pe PM1
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I have 2 Para 1's (digi cam + D2 Sprint) and much prefer the adjustable pivot and pocket clip on them.

I have 2 Para 2's (regular and Grey sprint) and much prefer the handle ergos

The Digi cam para 1 had the handle sanded down to replicate a Para 2 so that one gets carried and used frequently.

Para 2 with gen 1 clip and I would be happy.
Jagged77

Post by Jagged77 »

I've just found a mk1 serrated, it's an older one but completely unused. The action was stiff but I've loosened and lubricated and it's not bad at all. Love the serrated edge, it's laser sharp and I can this one getting a lot of pocket time compared to my PMII which tbh I don't carry all that much.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Count me in. TBH, I was sort of smoked when Spyderco introduced the Para2. Then I purchased one, the S90V sprint, just for the blade. Well, it completely convinced me. I still love the original and have a couple of them but IMO the Para2 really is a better knife in every respect. :spyder:
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Count me in! Despite to I did not have the chance to try the PM2 yet, I am an absolute fan of the original model

I cannot wait to the shorter model and it would bring the perfection if it would have the choice of including serrations
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

I'm totally with you on the Paramilitary 1.... I've carried mine off and on since its introduction. I've owned a PM2, but I obviously wasn't drinking the right Koolaid because I wasn't overwhelmed by its existence like most PM2 lovers.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

One plus for those of us who are really in the minority is that you could get full SE versions of the Para1, which makes a special knife even more special. There have been occasional threads asking for a full SE Para2 sprint, but alas, we wait still... ;) :spyder:
GronK

Post by GronK »

I won a PM1 full serrated in a factory sponsored drawing when they were first released. That was before I realized how well the serrations work and, after some time, ended up selling it to buy the D2 version, but never really carried it much so I sold it recently. I have a plain Jane PM2 now and I find that each version has it's merits. The handle makes the 2 more ergonomic for hammer and some other grips but at the expense of a solid grip when choking up.