Spyderco Enuff for EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HOMER GRIFIN

Spyderco Enuff for EDC

Post by HOMER GRIFIN »

Is anyone carrying one on their belt or an EDC bag? How well does it carry,etc. a short review if you can,thanks.
Skywarp

Re: Spyderco Enuff for EDC

Post by Skywarp »

I have been looking at the clip point version of this for a while but can't figure out why it isn't so popular?
If it was more popular, then there might have been a chance of a sprint in a harder steel but I can't see that happening.
Looks ideal for a small bushcraft knife...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am admittedly a folder guy, but tried to EDC a Leaf Enuff. I had the old style sheath which you want to make SURE you do not get. Search for Mike Janich's thread on how to determine if you have the new one. Great knife, picture a Stretch handle with a Native blade. Just not a fixed blade guy, so it did not work for me
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I like fixed blades but would want to neck carry this one and for that I'd first have to make a new sheath, don't trust this one.
(may well be an old style sheath)
This one has a great full size handle, indeed a bit like a Stretch with a blade somewhat like a Native. It is a great user!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Skywarp wrote:... can't figure out why it isn't so popular?...
The blade is too thick for me. 2mm or a little less on a knife that small would be my call.

Gordon
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

gaj999 wrote:
Skywarp wrote:... can't figure out why it isn't so popular?...
The blade is too thick for me. 2mm or a little less on a knife that small would be my call.

Gordon
I would've picked a blade of about 3,5-2,5 mm for a fixed blade this size but I am also surprised about the ease of cutting because of the blade width with full flat grind, you hardly notice that it's such a thick stock but it will be there when you need to pry or baton..
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Joris Mo wrote: I would've picked a blade of about 3,5-2,5 mm for a fixed blade this size but I am also surprised about the ease of cutting because of the blade width with full flat grind, you hardly notice that it's such a thick stock but it will be there when you need to pry or baton..
Yes, but with half the stock thickness it would weigh substantially less and cut even better. I don't ever pry with my knives and if I'm going to baton, I'll pick something bigger than a neck knife ... What I want in a neck knife is small, light, and fairly low profile. I don't belt carry fixies that small, if they're not around my neck, I just toss them in my pocket, sheath and all. I was excited when the idea was proposed, I just didn't like how they came out and never pulled the trigger on one.

Gordon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have carried and still sometimes do carry a Becker BK14 and an Esee Izula. This is almost the same knife except for the steel choice and the frn handle. Size is very similar. I like carrying a small fixed blade myself and if the Enuff was ever offered without the frn for a lower cost I would jump on one. I would love to get my hands on a blank. Small fixed blades work great for some things like getting into a young coconut for a refreshing drink. :) Sorry, not a Spydie.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The idea of using one of the Enuff models for an EDC is great! My best friend who just recently passed away and who was rapidly becoming a hard core Spyder-head like myself had purchased a few Spyderco models from me and New Graham and one he got from me was one of my STREETBEAT models which is an older Spyderco small fixed blade model. He EDCed the STREETBEAT for the last 2 years of his life and when I asked him why he was using his fixed blade Spyder as a primary EDC blade he told me it did more for him than any of his Spyderco folders did>> and he found it handy in the food handling job he had.

He even had a really nice ankle sheath that he carried it on a lot of times and other times he had a belt sheath that carried it laterally and he loved that Streetbeat model with all of his heart. I made darn sure his son got that knife when he passed on as well as his other Spyderco gems before anyone else had access to them and now his son carries the Streetbeat on some jobs he told me and he loves it as well.

It's making me want to consider carrying a fixed blade for an EDC and it might be one of the Enuff models I go to>> or I might just be EDCing my STREETBEAT model. Spyderco has made huge strides in the fixed blade sector and if a person finds a fixed blade to work better for them and they want to make it their EDC>> well I say WHY NOT??!! One big thing I like about the Enuff model is that there are a couple of them you can get in Spyderedge and that would make it great for me.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Streetbeat is the one I just wanted to mention as the better EDC fixed blade, wish they'd make a cheaper/lighter FRN version of that.
The Izula is great but for me only in the larger version but that would depend on hand size. I really wish I'd needed my blades more for opening fresh coconuts... :rolleyes:
I definitely agree that something bigger is preferable for batonning but I have had to use blades this size for some hard batonning just being happy I had something on me that wasn't a folder.
If I'd carry a blade like this as an extra I'd definitely consider 2mm to be thick enough as well. (love those thin scandi ground woodworking knives or chisel ground kiridashi)
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

For me thickness and screw on/off FRN handles are big pros for the Enuff. I just have the sheepsfoot in VG10 and H1 and they are a joy to use!
The sheath is the original one, giving enough retention but I definitely am planning some DIY handles and kydex sheaths. With those threads it should be as easy as can be ...
If I wasn't working in a city I would EDC the Enuff-not despite if its thickness but rather because of this feature! Food preparation and hunting use are easy to do with fixed blades, cleaning and applyable pressure on the spine are what make them excel any folder in my eyes.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Yes, the Enuff is an interesting piece - the relatively thick and short blade plus the abrupt distal taper mean that you almost have two knives in one: towards the handle where the jimping is you have a section which does not slice very well but which is very strong for heavy cutting or where you need to apply a lot of force with your thumb on the jimping. From where the distal taper starts, about halfway down the length of the blade, you have a knife that is much more suitable for delicate work, slices very well, and has a nice acute tip. Definitely a versatile edge!

I started out with the first generation sheath and now have the updated version - this sheath has definite solved the retention issue, but you still need to be very careful when re-sheathing the knife to keep the spine indexed against the top of the sheath and to avoid dragging the edge across the opposite wall, or you will get a nice flat spot midway down the blade. Fortunately with VG10 this easy to correct as and when it happens.

If I was going to EDC this knife I would definitely get a kydex sheath for it to solve this issue. Hopefully Spyderco will produce a Boltaron sheath for this knife at some point - my Serrata has that type of sheath and there is absolutely no dulling issue.

Bruno
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is not a neck knife as it is too heavy. But for an edc belt or pack knife it is nice. It is more comfortable to use than the Izula and Becker. I do not have one but have used one. I have one on hold at the shop but they are expensive over here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Commendatore wrote:For me thickness and screw on/off FRN handles are big pros for the Enuff.
Have you looked at the Reverse? I'm close to pulling the trigger on that one. I love Wharnies and needle sharp tips ... and it's got the screw off handles.

Gordon
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great blade shape on the reverse and it's very light, a real splitter picker

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jstory

Post by Jstory »

If the Enuff sheepsfoot was available in a plain edge version, I would probably own two. One would be on my belt every day at work, the other in my home shop.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Great thread! Just ordered up an Enuff Sheepsfoot Salt in H1 for an upcoming trip to HI. Looks to be a great knife for use around the ocean and in a humid environment. The folders in H1 are nice, but I really, really like the newer bi-directional scales after using them on my Delica 4 FFG. I'm guessing this will get just as much time at the beach as it will get opening up produce from the farmer's market and spreading mayo. And then some EDC use once back home. Plus, any excuse to add another Spydie to the collection is a good one... :D :spyder:
IG :spyder: Spydies: Aqua Salt, Enuff H1, Manix 2, PM2, Salt 2.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Don't forget slicing Spam if you are going to HI! Sheepsfoot Enuff rocks and the Wharnnie mod Surfingringo proposed making would just add utility!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Very underrated little knife.I think the reasson why is that few people will carry it as an edc blade-if you carry it openly you will raise some eybrows and if you conceal it you will have a hard time reaching it.And for work around the house,most of us will take a larger blade at this price point.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I EDC the leaf blade Enuff in my backpack because it's small and light