someone please tell me what the s110v manix handle made of

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

someone please tell me what the s110v manix handle made of

Post by Surfingringo »

I thought I had this figured out. I thought the regular lightweight manix had a frcp handle and the new s110v manix had frn. I thought i remembered this being discussed and clarified. I just read a post by Taz confirming that all manix lw handles (including the s110v) are made of frcp. Is this the case? I know you just said it Kristi, so sorry for doubting you...no disrespect intended, but I've heard the story flip flop so many times now I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: someone please tell me what the s110v manix handle made of

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I just checked my Edge-u-Cation sheet (or whatever it's called these days) and it does say FRCP. So, as the main purveyor of this disinformation, I stand firmly corrected. Thanks Kristi for clearing this up, I guess it's good the typo on the website is now fixed. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Fair enough. I always thought just from the look and feel of it that they had switched to frn. Several of the big online knife dealers still have it mistakenly listed as frn.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It sure feels like FRN to me, but I defer to the experts ;)! I also noticed that nearly all vendors say it's FRN but that may be due to the typo on the Spyderco website that apparently only got corrected today :).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's made out of awesomeness.

/thread
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

hmmm.. I swear Sal said is was frn? I don't know? It doesn't matter to me that much.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Lol!

I also understood the S110V was FRN, catalog says FRCP...
http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't really matter to me either way to be honest.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I have both the BD1 and the 110V Manix and the handle material is indistinguishable to me.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:I thought I had this figured out. I thought the regular lightweight manix had a frcp handle and the new s110v manix had frn. I thought i remembered this being discussed and clarified. I just read a post by Taz confirming that all manix lw handles (including the s110v) are made of frcp. Is this the case? I know you just said it Kristi, so sorry for doubting you...no disrespect intended, but I've heard the story flip flop so many times now I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Kristi said it's FRCP. :spyder:

So I will go with that.

All I know is that it's dark blue and really light weight, feels like air in hand. :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Ankerson wrote:
All I know is that it's dark blue and really light weight, feels like air in hand. :D
81 grams :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I wonder why all the Manix Lightweights are FRCP while the Native LW is FRN? *ocd tick*

I've been using FRN as a more-familiar shortcut than FRCP, and if others are doing the same I could see this being the cause of much confusion.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If I knew it was FRCP, I wouldn't have bought one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:If I knew it was FRCP, I wouldn't have bought one.

I would have been hesitant, but it is funny that all this time I've thought it was FRN and I've been happy with it, and have used as I would have any other FRN knife with no hesitation and have had no difference in performance, so perhaps it's all in my (our) head.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Could be, but I've dropped and beaten on FRN, and seen pics of FRCP dropped and chipped; the FRN seems way tougher. I won't buy any more. That's just me. I love FRN. If the S110V Manix wasn't a sprint, I'd probably beat the crap out of it "for science".
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:Could be, but I've dropped and beaten on FRN, and seen pics of FRCP dropped and chipped; the FRN seems way tougher. I won't buy any more. That's just me. I love FRN. If the S110V Manix wasn't a sprint, I'd probably beat the crap out of it "for science".

FYI, it's not a sprint....standard production....beat away, for science :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hmmm...
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not gonna lie, I'm sort of secretly hoping I can break the handle on mine so I have a good reason to swap the blade into a G10 handle LOL.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
Jazz wrote:Could be, but I've dropped and beaten on FRN, and seen pics of FRCP dropped and chipped; the FRN seems way tougher. I won't buy any more. That's just me. I love FRN. If the S110V Manix wasn't a sprint, I'd probably beat the crap out of it "for science".

FYI, it's not a sprint....standard production....beat away, for science :D
..and the truth will set you free! That's awesome.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm sort of secretly hoping I can break the handle on mine so I have a good reason to swap the blade into a G10 handle LOL.
That would be pretty awesome. What color G-10 would you consider? I am a little surprised more folks haven't already done this. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm sort of secretly hoping I can break the handle on mine so I have a good reason to swap the blade into a G10 handle LOL.
That would be pretty awesome. What color G-10 would you consider? I am a little surprised more folks haven't already done this. ;)

Well I still have the dream of custom making a solid G10 version with no liners (well, with those little 8 shaped liners), but I don't have the tools necessary of making it happen and I haven't found a custom maker who's willing to try. So, if I swapped just the blade into another standard G10 Manix 2, I'd probably just go with regular black and then later maybe look for custom scales for it.