A change in tone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: A change in tone

Post by Blerv »

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your review and response.

I appreciate and learn from all the people here. Some I may get along with better than others but that is just life. Really just looking (or hoping) for a little extra civility. I owe everyone that effort even if it's easier to be apathetic.
sal

Post by sal »

I'm teasing you Cliff. I don't think we disagree on science.

sal
Last edited by sal on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: left out a word
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Image
Hehe. After a post like that from Sal, what could be a better reply than to continue and lecture him and the forum?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Cliff, it is the everyone has to think and behave like Cliff agenda otherwise I will imply they are idiots who believe in Bigfoot that is at issue. Nice try but your hypocritical behaviour is quite obvious. I don't expect you to understand because you cloak your close-mindedness in science. Your insecurity shines right through. Cue the poorly written I'm going to throw everything at you including the kitchen sink approach until you give up and I am the king of whatever it is you want to be king off.

Jumbo thanks for proving my point. Apparently if I don't spend my time cutting string into a thousand itty bitty pieces my opinions are not valid. I guess you use your knife for purposes that advance human kind in immeasurable ways. Sometimes I just need to open an envelope or cut a sandwich, I should definitely shut up and go away. When all the people who use a knife for a purpose that you don't deem worthy leave this forum you and Cliff can have some quiet alone time.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I personally never saw this as an us against them contest. I'm not part of one side and heck the side Im supposed to be on don't seem to like me or the way I go about my arguments either. It seems to me that those who take issue with Cliff do not have any affiliation with each other and come from a diverse group. We do not know each other from Adam and do not conspire to take down the concpiracy :). It seems that THAT is what Sal and Tas is thinking but if there is any "gang" here, it is much more one sided than you think.

Jumbo your reply to my reply now lacks content because you deleted your original tasteless post calling out members by name and biasly defending Cliff with no regard to the actual matters of concern ... So it ends there.
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

The "cutting fruit" thing was a joke, my friends. It's what I use my knives for, as do others, judging from plenty of reviews. The point being take a step back and laugh at what we're actually talking about here.

More seriously, anyone who wants to use the word "conspiracy", "agenda", really needs to be more concrete. It's a low-effort smear tactic.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'll certainly try to watch my tongue from now on with future posts, I feel like I could have contributed negatively to this problem at one point or another. I have indeed noticed a bit of decline in the quality of threads (I have contributed to this in my own asinine ways) and posts in general. Perhaps we should focus less on what we disagree with about each other and focus more between the issues and the common ground and improve on each other.
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

FCM415 wrote: Jumbo your reply to my reply now lacks content because you deleted your original tasteless post calling out members by name and biasly defending Cliff with no regard to the actual matters of concern ... So it ends there.
Since you were apparently one of two people who saw my original post (the timestamps show I removed it before you submitted your initial reply), I guess no one else has the opportunity to see how tasteless it was. For the record, my post linked to examples of personal attacks against Cliff, and asked for evidence of anything similar from him. I take it your argument is that Cliff provokes people to such a degree, of course they will lash out like that, so no personal attacks from Cliff misses the point, because he is just well practiced at antagonizing. I thought the better of it and removed my post, but because of your quote, here I am explaining what is is exactly we were talking about.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

sal wrote:****, I've even seen Killer get defensive, and he's about as steady as anyone I've ever met.
Sal, thanks for calling me "steady". I try to always keep my cool. Everyone's patience has it's limits though and I guess for a minute I found mine. This is not an excuse because I own everything I say in life but I guess three months of sleep deprivation and listening to crying has subdued my inner Buddha lately. :o I get frustrated when I try to share information and then am forced to defend myself. I admit that I have been on edge lately with threads like the firesteel thread especially getting under my skin. We are all kids in a sandbox here and you have to learn to play with everybody, even the kids that don't play well with others. I am going to try to do my best but if it continues to be a less than pleasant experience then I am just gonna lurk around here and spend a little more time over in the Spyderco subsection on BF. :(

I will also add that I think that most of us who are expressing our frustration are just doing so because we like it here and want to protect this place. The road to **** is paved with good intentions though.
sal wrote:We are but tiny drops of life stuck on the side of a round rock whirling through space, now what did you say was important?
Love this quote. Reminds me of a quote by one of my favoritest people:

“The Apollo pictures of the whole Earth conveyed to multitudes something well known to astronomers: On the scale of the worlds - to say nothing of stars or galaxies - humans are inconsequential, a thin film of life on an obscure and solitary lump of rock and metal”

― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

OP, Did this thread accomplish what you had sought after?

Edited to add.

My only thought about a possible solution is to limit the number of posts people get to make each day. Or have Spyderco impose a limit to those they choose. Maybe it would be harder to stoke the fire when you have a limited number of chances.
Last edited by jtoler_9 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I joined the forum recently, so I cannot relate to "the change" in the forum some have spoken. I will also say that I didn't lurk here before I came here officially. I had no reason to, as I have only been back with Spyderco knives in my "collection" since August 2014.

I will also freely admit that I do not know any of you personally, but just because I don't know you does not give me reason or excuse to be rude or dismissive or snide. I respect you all for your efforts here in educating me in all things Spyderco. I love most Spyderco's knives and the forum here.

I'm an honest fellow, and if I like or don't like something I will say so, and be respectful about it. Having said that, I hope whatever has occurred or is occurring gets sorted out.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jtoler_9 wrote:OP, Did this thread accomplish what you had sought after?
The only thing I hoped for was a discussion. Maybe a couple willing people to try a bit harder.

If people care they will try to be better. It's not a pass or fail grade but a hill you keep climbing. I'm not there yet for dang sure.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Blerv wrote:
jtoler_9 wrote:OP, Did this thread accomplish what you had sought after?
I'm not there yet for dang sure.
We share not being there yet for dang sure, in common.

I have limited my visits and posts with the intent to make things better, because I respect this brand and it's owner. I found early on when I joined this forum that my posts seemed to get the group more excited than I wanted.

I hope this discussion is useful to all.
Last edited by jtoler_9 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Double post?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I pretty much left because I got bored of the same ole posts over and over & mainly because I am not a fan of the new designs Spyderco has been coming out with, Im an old fashioned die hard Spyderco lover that needs serrations, Im not seeing much of that anymore. Dont get me wrong though I am still carrying some sort of Delica/lil Matriarch and have been for the last 21years. That wont change. Lurking is for me now.

Btw I dont mind the bickering & most of the people on the Spyderco forums have been really cool, more than any other forums I have ever been on. Great people. Anyone wanna see some complete hot heads that think they know all, try some gun forums LOL
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

RIOT wrote:I pretty much left because I got bored of the same ole posts over and over & mainly because I am not a fan of the new designs Spyderco has been coming out with, Im an old fashioned die hard Spyderco lover that needs serrations, Im not seeing much of that anymore. Dont get me wrong though I am still carrying some sort of Delica/lil Matriarch and have been for the last 21years. That wont change. Lurking is for me now.

Btw I dont mind the bickering & most of the people on the Spyderco forums have been really cool, more than any other forums I have ever been on. Great people. Anyone wanna see some complete hot heads that think they know all, try some gun forums LOL
It's cool to see you post again man :)
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

razorsharp wrote:
RIOT wrote:I pretty much left because I got bored of the same ole posts over and over & mainly because I am not a fan of the new designs Spyderco has been coming out with, Im an old fashioned die hard Spyderco lover that needs serrations, Im not seeing much of that anymore. Dont get me wrong though I am still carrying some sort of Delica/lil Matriarch and have been for the last 21years. That wont change. Lurking is for me now.

It's cool to see you post again man :)
I still post when I have something to say, sometimes its not the right thing to say but I feel it needs to be said regardless of who it might offend, if I was Spyderco I would want to hear it. Other than that Ive been building numerous Ar15s & Ar10s and reloading my rounds which is time consuming but worth it. Actually Im turning into a prepper looking for a place to buy in the mountains to go off grid when I just want to get out of the city & have a place to bail to.

Still enjoying popping in time to time looking around to see whats new. Sold 99% of all my delicas but kept a life time supply of my favorite CF Delicas (serrated)

Hey Sal,

Make a lil Matriarch waved please. edit (serrated)
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Image