Ouch – my Spydy hole bit me!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Ouch – my Spydy hole bit me!!!

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

303_enfield wrote:This is my biggest and only complaint about Spyderco folders. Older Spydies have the beveled hole. You can open it with thick gloves, oily, wet or frozen hands on all day long , so a sharp edge hole is BS. Not finishing the hole is a cost saving measure. The worst hole cut was from my Tuff, I had to glue my thumb.
Sal, please bring the beveled hole back. What cost would it add to the MSP, $1-$5?
I have to completely disagree with this. I've never been cut with mine because I have very calloused hands so I might be biased, but I prefer the sharper hole when opening, especially with gloves because I do find the traction on my sharper Spydies to be better. It might wear through my gloves faster but my gloves get worn much faster from rope than sharp things anyways so that's not really an issue for me.

The main reason I think they should stay how they are is that they can make everyone happy this way...it's easy to soften the edge with a brown or white SharpMaker stone, but it's not just hard, it's impossible to add material to gain more traction if they come rounded from the factory.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

You can disagree all day long, for me the sharp hole is a turn off. A beveled hole has more surface to catch an hold for opening. Having to use surgical glue or get stitches from a $300+ Spydie hole is not fun. The old ones had it done right. But that is my 2¢
Always looking for the right one :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm with rigger, I prefer the sharp hole. In fact, the softened hole on the slysz bowie is one of my few complaints on that design, I actually find it harder to open with my thumb pad.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've had to "dull" the sharp edges inside the hole and also inside some of the liners. I read here a while back that having the equipment and/or ability to create these sharp edges is something to be congratulated. It represents a higher potential regarding the manufacturing equipment or process. I'd assume that means a higher quality product is possible when the very sharp 90 degree angles are needed. They would provide a much tighter fit between a liner and scale I think. But, when these sharp edges are out there waiting for human flesh to get too close it can be bad. But when finding edges like this it's easy to grind them down just enough to not be sharp but still look nice and crisp.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Don't forget the self close mechanism on the szabo adds more resistance than normal folders. So you have to flick it harder and hold on tight so it doesn't fly out of your hand.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've noticed sharper holes on some models, but I'm not a spyder dropper so I just loose a few thin flakes of fingernail material from time to time. The only one that was sharp enough to require any action was my Ti Damascus Delica. It was hard to believe that a 90 degree angle could be that sharp. I fixed it in a minute or two with my thinnest fine plumb-bob shaped Dremmel stone. If I had a Szabo and liked to spydie drop, I would go ahead and grind the black finish off the rim of the hole. A little wear adds character to users ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.