Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Post by Donut »

I was looking at a carbon fiber cell phone case, but a lot more people see my phone than they will ever see my Para 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Donut wrote:I was looking at a carbon fiber cell phone case, but a lot more people see my phone than they will ever see my Para 2.
The opposite is true for me :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for all the opinions who gave one. I think I have an idea of what people think of Carbon Fiber and why it sells.

To me, having more of a gentleman's knife in carbon fiber makes more sense. Getting a Chaparral 1 in Carbon Fiber for $100ish versus all other versions that cost $200 or higher and making it a nice looking knife is win win.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like the look of peel-ply CF, but I have no problem with plain old G10.

I think the CF scales will look much better a few years down the line with some miles on it than the Jade G10 will...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Donut wrote:Thanks for all the opinions who gave one. I think I have an idea of what people think of Carbon Fiber and why it sells.

To me, having more of a gentleman's knife in carbon fiber makes more sense. Getting a Chaparral 1 in Carbon Fiber for $100ish versus all other versions that cost $200 or higher and making it a nice looking knife is win win.
I totally agree in general but I don't like back locks. As my handle implies I open and close a knife hundreds of times a day and the spine lock is the least fun of all locks. Strength doesn't matter to me because I don't do hard tasks with mine. I would love to have a Chappy if I could get one in a liner lock.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Flipping Addict wrote:
Donut wrote:Thanks for all the opinions who gave one. I think I have an idea of what people think of Carbon Fiber and why it sells.

I totally agree in general but I don't like back locks. As my handle implies I open and close a knife hundreds of times a day and the spine lock is the least fun of all locks. Strength doesn't matter to me because I don't do hard tasks with mine. I would love to have a Chappy if I could get one in a liner lock.
Its funny how tastes differ. I open and close my Salts dozens of times a day while fishing out of my kayak and the back lock is far and away my favorite lock. I find that the back lock and liner lock are probably the simplest to manipulate while still maintaining a firm grip on the knife with wet or bloody hands. I have more trust in the back lock than the liner lock though.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Flipping Addict wrote:

That's what the Sage 1 is for. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Agreed! That's why I always have my Sage on me at all times. Just for flipping. I carry multiple knives daily, but that one is always in the rotation.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:
Flipping Addict wrote:

That's what the Sage 1 is for. :)
Well, they are quite different in size. I was actually surprised at the size difference, I thought the Sage was closer to the Chap when I first saw it. The Sage and Chap remain two of my favorite spyderco "upscale users."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone get theirs today? Mine says it is being delivered today but I can't pick it up until tomorrow.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's sitting in my mailbox right now, but I'll have to wait another 6 hours before we get to meet. Some guys on BF posted some pics.
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Just opened mine and I don't think it is peel ply. By no means an expert, but under magnification I can't see where they laid it over the G 10. Also the carbon fiber pattern seems to play through on the inside of the handle was well. I have been wondering since I never saw anything other than community comments about peel ply on this particular model and given the price I secretly had my fingers crossed . Now someone with a bit more knowledge than me could perhaps confirm when they have theirs in hand .
Last edited by Almoe66 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Well in the sunlight! I think I see the lines, but the pattern on the inside of the scales is confusing a bit.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
timlara

Post by timlara »

Almoe66 wrote:Well in the sunlight! I think I see the lines, but the pattern on the inside of the scales is confusing a bit.
I think you are confusing your terms a bit. When Spyderco says "peel ply", they essentially mean "solid" CF all the way through. That's what this PM2 has, and it's why it's fairly expensive. The "peel ply" in the name just refers to the texture on the surface, as if they peeled off a cloth pattern.

What you are looking for/describing, is what Spyderco calls "G10/CF laminate", and that is when they just put a thin layer of CF on top of the G10 to enhance the appearance and keep costs down.

Hope that helps and congrats on the new PM2!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

It's solid CF, I got mine today. Very nice.
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

timlara wrote:
Almoe66 wrote:Well in the sunlight! I think I see the lines, but the pattern on the inside of the scales is confusing a bit.
I think you are confusing your terms a bit. When Spyderco says "peel ply", they essentially mean "solid" CF all the way through. That's what this PM2 has, and it's why it's fairly expensive. The "peel ply" in the name just refers to the texture on the surface, as if they peeled off a cloth pattern.

What you are looking for/describing, is what Spyderco calls "G10/CF laminate", and that is when they just put a thin layer of CF on top of the G10 to enhance the appearance and keep costs down.

Hope that helps and congrats on the new PM2!
Thanks so much for the clarification!

Walt Whitman
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Checked tracking on mine this morning and it shows "Delivered"...in Albany, NEW YORK :eek: little problem here, I live in AK :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

farnorthdan wrote:Checked tracking on mine this morning and it shows "Delivered"...in Albany, NEW YORK :eek: little problem here, I live in AK :(
Yikes! Hopefully they just swapped the tracking numbers and yours is still en route. Either that or someone in Albany has no idea how lucky they just got :eek:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

abbazaba wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Checked tracking on mine this morning and it shows "Delivered"...in Albany, NEW YORK :eek: little problem here, I live in AK :(
Yikes! Hopefully they just swapped the tracking numbers and yours is still en route. Either that or someone in Albany has no idea how lucky they just got :eek:
No kidding, someone is going to get a right proper introduction to Spyderco today.... ;) :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Received mine today.

Really excited to get it and it looked great! I asked KW to check for even grind lines and centering, which are both excellent.

But I went to put a Lynch clip on it for tip-up carry and I noticed some of the pocket clip screw holes weren't completely drilled correctly. The bottom hole here had a piece of scale in it. I screwed the pocket screw in with some force and a circular piece of the scale popped out, so all is fine there.

Here the top center screw hole has extra material at the top, and also has some tooling marks around it.

Not sure if I'll send it back. Functionally it's fine and I'm planning on this being a user, but I think a $200+ knife should be basically perfect..