Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fallen

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Post by Fallen »

Got my shipping label this morning!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Me too.... :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Fallen wrote:Got my shipping label this morning!
Label or notification?
EDIT: Got my notification.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MCM

Post by MCM »

Mine shipped today. 800 shipped today total, 159 on hand.
Pretty good seller I would say.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Shipped :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This one is going to look killer next to big brother 52100 :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just received shipping notification email
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got my shipping notice today.

So, 159 still available and the website still says limit 1 and that there were 2,400 notification emails to be sent out and that only half of the people who requested a notification will be able to purchase one.

Well, 2,400 emails and only 800 actual purchases? *shrug*

The price does feel sort of high. I never was a fan of adding carbon fiber just for looks and to add $60 to the price tag. Does carbon fiber have any actual advantage over G-10? Sure, it is a very small amount lighter and it is a very small amount stronger.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Pretty much depends where you are at in the hobby. For some its a non issue. For others it means the world.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I guess in this case it is good, a couple of weeks ago, you sell more knives in 2 hours than knifeworks does in a week.

Those people who weren't able to get one, if it's worth that much to them, they can get it now for a higher price, but lower than the Jade price.

To me, the carbon fiber one doesn't hold any more value, just a higher price tag. It will probably be better to trade it away in the future.

I wonder in the long run, will the more limited availability give the Jade one a higher demand/value. I bet you less people trade away the Jade one because they will want to use it with the lower price tag... and because most of the Jade ones will be users, there will be a majority that have a lower value.

Maybe the limit of one on the Carbon Fiber will make it more difficult to find a NIB or LNIB one.

It should be interesting to watch.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

MCM wrote:Pretty much depends where you are at in the hobby. For some its a non issue. For others it means the world.
What do you mean by "it"?

I named a few things that Carbon Fiber has on G-10.

Slightly more rigid, higher cost, looks a little better, slightly lower weight.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I googled "carbon fiber vs G-10" a couple of hours ago and some dudes did destruction testing and the carbon fiber broke a couple of blows before the G-10 did. Because it is more rigid, it CAN break first. Both are very tough, I doubt either will ever break.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, I don't think it looks a ton better, though I am speaking from pictures and not having ever seen peel-ply CF in person. I get the impression that it looks a lot like plain old black G10 with that peel-ply texture, and I'm kinda bored of black. The more polished stuff like on the GB and Domino is a different story. And the colored weaves? Now we're talking! More of that please!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The difference between CF and G-10 is significant for larger structural applications like boat hulls and air foils for example, but for little things like knife scales, to me the weight difference becomes nominal and other characteristics just academic. From personal experience the real difference I experienced is, when I drop a CF scaled knife on concrete the CF will chip easily; when I drop a G-10 scaled knife on concrete it will more likely just dent or scratch. However, I do prefer the look of CF.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think anyone could say that the carbon fiber is worth the premium over the jade from a functional standpoint. But us knife enthusiasts often pay up for embellishments or simply cool factor.
I never seem to be able to hold onto the Para2. I always sell 'em. Not sure why but I'm giving it another shot with this version.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have passed on a few Spydies because I won't pay the premium for peel ply CF over G10. Any weight savings is quickly disregarded due to G10 being much more durable.The added cost then easily kills the deal. I am just one customer though and peel ply CF sure seems popular enough.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's a good discussion for sure. Personally for me, not much beats the look of peel ply carbon fiber scales except maybe, titanium.

I've let more than a few high priced S90V versions of this knife go because I was waiting specifically for the knifeworks version. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm paying for the scales first, steel second on this one.

I certainly hope the 52100 version next year keeps the carbon fiber scales the same. Peel ply please.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fallen wrote:Got my shipping label this morning!
Label or notification?
EDIT: Got my notification.
Sorry, should have specified. Notification that the label has been created.

Shipped now.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit I'm paying for the scales first, steel second on this one....Peel ply please.
Me too :p

CF or merely the look of CF is certainly trendy. Look at all the stuff that come in CF (or looks like it)...cell phone and laptop cases, sunglass frames, steering wheels and shift knobs on cars, etc... I wonder when the trend will end, surely it can't last forever? Then what will our precious CF Spydercos' be worth :eek: ?
MCM

Post by MCM »

More than you paid.