Military ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mgj48

Military ?

Post by Mgj48 »

Why tip down carry only. Can't understand the reasoning .
MattM68

Re: Military ?

Post by MattM68 »

The liners don't go all the way to the bottom of the knife where the holes would be added. Im sure they could(and probably will) add a tip up option on the Military 2 when it's released one day. Everyone seems to love the Military as is, and people think it works fine tip down. I would probably prefer tip up, but it's not a deal breaker for me. :)

Matt
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

It's too long, IMO, for tip up. I am usually pretty neutral towards tip up or down, though. Some knives work better tip up, some down. The military definitely works very, very well tip down for me. The length of the knife sticking out of the pocket makes it very easy to remove and once removed my fingers and thumb fall naturally where they're supposed to to open with my thumb or if I choose my index finger. It's a very good design. Very practical and efficient.

If it was tip up it'd require scooting the knife up in my hand to be placed where needed. Too much to do when in a bad situation as the military was designed for.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

This was a concern for me too at first... glad I went with the Military anyway tho. really just doesn't matter to me practically speaking. Absolutely awesome knife, amazing edc. Pairs great with a serrated Dragonfly.

Again, depends on what you're getting the knife for. A knife is an excellent tool, tho it comes in far second to a handgun for defense, so the uber-quick-draw isn't really a focus for me in knife selection. Basic situational awareness should let you at least a bit ahead of time it there is a danger.

To each each their own, just sharing.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bodog wrote:It's too long, IMO, for tip up...
The military definitely works very, very well tip down for me. The length of the knife sticking out of the pocket makes it very easy to remove and once removed my fingers and thumb fall naturally where they're supposed to to open with my thumb or if I choose my index finger. It's a very good design. Very practical and efficient.

If it was tip up it'd require scooting the knife up in my hand to be placed where needed. Too much to do when in a bad situation as the military was designed for.

I've had the same experience. I carry larger knives, the PM2 and Manix 2 are the smallest that I carry, the Military and Manix 2 XL are the largest. My EDC rotation is roughly split evenly between tip up and tip down. I manage OK either way but the Military is easier for me tip down. I normally wear tight jeans and use right front pocket carry. With a blade of about 3", it is equally easy for me tip up or tip down. Anything larger than 3" and my thumb is too far away from the thumb hole when I pull the knife out to open it directly. I carry a Manix 2 frequently when I'm working around the house and when I pull it out I have to do a little toss up in the air motion to move it to the correct spot in my hand so I can open it. In some situations this would not be secure. I know that some people carry in other pockets, wear different clothing or whatever, and so people can have their own reasons for preferring tip up. I also know that some people are concerned about a blade opening in their pocket and tip up right front pocket helps because the blade can be pressed against the side of the pocket to keep it from opening.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It has partial liners to reduce weight limiting it to tip down.

It is a model that hasn't changed in a long time and originally Spydies almost all came tip down. Tip up came along later.

We are all assuming that when the Military gets revamped it will have a four way clip option.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...tip down for the 'spyder drop'.quickest way to deploy a military-can withdraw from pocket pinching the hole .quick flick of the wrist and BOOM!...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

All of these are good reasons. Let me add one more (based on experience...ouch!)

Liner lock blades can, and do come open in a person's pocket, no matter how good the detent, especially with tip up. The knife wants to open, it was designed for this. The forces acting on the blade, gravity, and other forces, on a long blade like this, in a pocket, while a person is active, can leave a nasty surprise in there for you to run your hand down and encounter. Not to mention, you could stab your leg. Spyderco was wise beyond words to make a strong detent and tip down carry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had a similar experience to Doc Dan with a liner lock from another manufacturer. It sliced me pretty badly in line waiting to pay for gas one night. My pocket almost filled up with blood and I was trying to get the money out one handed while hiding my now spurting hand in my pocket trying to clamp down with a paper towel using only the hand that was bleeding. I figured it wasn't in my best interest holding up my blood drenched hand while in line at a gas station.

Amongst other changes I no longer carry a knife in a position to injure me so badly if it was to open somehow while still in my pocket. A well maintained, normal Millie shouldn't open by itself but if it did it also shouldn't be as dangerous carrying in my pocket the way I now do despite it's wickedly sharp 4 inch blade.

:)

Joe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Mastiff wrote:I had a similar experience to Doc Dan with a liner lock from another manufacturer. It sliced me pretty badly in line waiting to pay for gas one night. My pocket almost filled up with blood and I was trying to get the money out one handed while hiding my now spurting hand in my pocket trying to clamp down with a paper towel using only the hand that was bleeding. I figured it wasn't in my best interest holding up my blood drenched hand while in line at a gas station.

Amongst other changes I no longer carry a knife in a position to injure me so badly if it was to open somehow while still in my pocket. A well maintained, normal Millie shouldn't open by itself but if it did it also shouldn't be as dangerous carrying in my pocket the way I now do despite it's wickedly sharp 4 inch blade.

:)

Joe
Interesting observation Joe and one I always try to be conscious of. I cringe to think what one of my edges would do to a hand that was hurriedly thrust into a pocket searching for something. But it is for this exact reason that I would carry the Military tip up if I could. Tip up would allow it to be positioned with the knife spine to the outside of the pocket, preventing it from opening and making it impossible to ever accidentally get into it with your hand if it did somehow partially open. Fwiw, i always carry the Millie in my back pocket when I'm wearing bluejeans.

The arguments for which configuration is faster to "deploy" is irrelevant to me. I can pull my pocket knife out and open it with ease no matter how it's clipped to my pocket or waistband. Honestly, it took me awhile to figure out what people were even talking about when they would say a knife was set up for right or left hand carry. :o
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Tip down is my favorite. Just whip it out and it's all ready to go, hand in place naturally.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I find all of my bigger folders work best tip down....Never felt the urge to have the Millie ride tip up.
pyro

Post by pyro »

Tip down works well for me, especially with a deep carry clip. Pinch the spydie hole between the fore finger and thumb. Pull free of the pocket and let it rotate into the palm. My only irritant is the lack of blade centering. I can center it by cranking down the pivot screw, but then it is too difficult to flick open. It appears to me that the liner pushes the blade to the far side. A note Sal: replace the liner lock with something better! I would then buy a couple more military's.