Anyone else super excited for the Szabo Hawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: Anyone else super excited for the Szabo Hawk?

Post by demoncase »

While I like the Szabohawk a huge amount- it's made from a cool material, heavy and stylish- I don't really have a purpose for it in my life.....My idea of roughing it is a hotel that doesn't have a bar under the same roof and I haven't had to make a dynamic entry through a drug-dealer's door...err....ever! ;)

Also the wife snorted and rolled her eyes when I described it as a 'Tactical Entry Tool' not an axe ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

demoncase wrote:While I like the Szabohawk a huge amount- it's made from a cool material, heavy and stylish- I don't really have a purpose for it in my life.....My idea of roughing it is a hotel that doesn't have a bar under the same roof and I haven't had to make a dynamic entry through a drug-dealer's door...err....ever! ;)

Also the wife snorted and rolled her eyes when I described it as a 'Tactical Entry Tool' not an axe ;)

It's not an axe, An axe has more weight to it and is more wedge like. Axes and tomahawks are 2 completely different items that people often confuse. Axes are made for chopping down trees and biting deep into wood. tomahaws lack the weight required for this.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

VashHash wrote:
demoncase wrote:While I like the Szabohawk a huge amount- it's made from a cool material, heavy and stylish- I don't really have a purpose for it in my life.....My idea of roughing it is a hotel that doesn't have a bar under the same roof and I haven't had to make a dynamic entry through a drug-dealer's door...err....ever! ;)

It's not an axe, An axe has more weight to it and is more wedge like. Axes and tomahawks are 2 completely different items that people often confuse. Axes are made for chopping down trees and biting deep into wood. tomahaws lack the weight required for this.

Cue even more snorting and eye rolling from the wife ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

demoncase wrote: Cue even more snorting and eye rolling from the wife ;)
I think you'll be pleased to have one of these after May 8th when UKIP enter Downing Street and Farage is anointed Emperor Nigel I ruler of Anglo Britistan. In the ensuing riots and chaos you'll be able to hack your way to the front of the queue at the local food bank :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Johnnie1801 wrote: I think you'll be pleased to have one of these after May 8th when UKIP enter Downing Street and Farage is anointed Emperor Nigel I ruler of Anglo Britistan. In the ensuing riots and chaos you'll be able to hack your way to the front of the queue at the local food bank :D
It's quite correct that only we British would queue for something in the middle of a riot. :rolleyes:
bc

Post by bc »

Where is it? Had on pre-order since April. Could care less what anyone else thinks. I will put to great use...now.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

OldSarSwmr wrote:I'm getting one because I want it.

Dan
That sums it up nicely, Dan!!! Works for me!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'm really looking forward to this one.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Any idea when it's released??
swigert

Post by swigert »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I heard that there was a more traditional tomahawk in the works. That is what I am interested in hearing more about. I have little use for a tactical tomahawk. I just don't do a lot of breaching. I guess I am not an operator nor do I do much operating. :rolleyes:
Im hoping there is a more traditional one coming.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm buying one...

Gonna hook one end of a bungee cord in the Spyderhole and the other in my beltloop so that when I throw it I won't have to run after it to retrieve it...

whatd'ya think?

Brilliant.... right?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

paladin wrote:I'm buying one...

Gonna hook one end of a bungee cord in the Spyderhole and the other in my beltloop so that when I throw it I won't have to run after it to retrieve it...

whatd'ya think?

Brilliant.... right?
Pure genius. I'm not sure why I never thought of that... Wait i know why. Because I use the curve of the szabohawk to boomerang it. Clearly you need to up you Tomahawk throwing game. Just make sure to catch the handle on the return. :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

https://youtu.be/EFuzGU1wXq8
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

The Szabohawk should be shipping soon. It's received quite a bit of attention from the Military.

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Excellent news! This is gonna be a must buy!
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like most of the online retailers who have had this listed have increased their price! Must mean they'll be for sale quite soon!
-Nick :bug-red
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Michael Janich wrote:Thanks for the great discussion and your enthusiasm for the SzaboHawk.

We're currently gearing up for the SOFIC Special Operations trade show and Kristi and I were discussing models that we wanted to feature in the full-page ad in the show guide. After taking a hard look at all the new and soon-to-becoming Spyderco stuff, we thought the SzaboHawk might be the best fit. Through a bit of begging, I was able to get one production sample without a sheath that I could beat up for some in-use photos for the ad.

The interesting thing about the SzaboHawk, for me, is the curved handle. By gripping it at different heights, you can incrementally change the angle of contact of the cutting edges. Gripping at the end so the head was higher than my hand allowed me to chop with the full length of the primary edge hitting parallel to the ground. For chopping and splitting kindling, this worked really well. For lighter, more detailed work, like notching or putting a point on a stake, choking up on the handle put my hand more on the same level as the primary edge, shortened the lever, and gave me more control with the same angle of edge engagement. Choking up all the way allowed me to work with the primary edge like a wood chisel--push cutting for detailed work.

Where the difference comes in from a chopping perspective is when you do more of an extended, combative swing. The arc of the handle causes the point of the two cutting edges to impact first, creating shearing forces in both directions. An old galvanized trash can allowed me to play with this aspect of the Hawk's function. Piercing the sheet steel of the can was ridiculously easy and both the edge and the TICN coating held up very well. Combatively, this type of chop will be the most likely strike to be delivered by the SzaboHawk. Suffice to say that it does it really well.

The hammer surface is small but very functional. I wouldn't use it for nails, but hammering tent pegs and aiming stakes was no problem. The reverse curve of the handle is a little awkward at first, but I found choking up closer to the middle of the curve easily mitigated that.

With photos successfully shot, I had to satisfy my own curiosity to see how it throws. With the exception of a few custom Tru-Balance throwing knives handmade by the late Harry McKevoy that I have in my collection, I don't typically throw high-dollar stuff, but if I was going to speak authoritatively about the SzaboHawk, I wanted to speak from real experience. I can honestly say that the SzaboHawk is one of the most fun-to-throw hawks I've ever used. The reason is that its curved handle and heavy, solid tang give it a much more "centered" balance and a faster spin. Throwing distance for a single spin was about 12-13 feet, versus the 20+ feet I typically need for a traditional straight-handled hawk. Despite the flare at the handle butt, the release was smooth and easy and, after one failure to stick on the first ranging throw, it stuck beautifully every time.

I really enjoy my job, but sometimes much more than others. This was one of those times...

Stay safe,

Mike
Aloha my friend,

Geez Mike...I think your post had gamma rays coming from it and I didn't have to get angry to turn the color...well, you know where I'm going with this. :rolleyes:

Keep up the great work and be safe!
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

demoncase wrote:
VashHash wrote:

Cue even more snorting and eye rolling from the wife ;)
@demoncase lol surely this was not the first time, and will not be the last... had that same convo many times, be it the knives or guns de jour that are currently of intrigue.

"Why do you need a XXX" - I don't need it, I want it. So there. :-)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

@demoncase UK? long time, haven't been over there in maybe 15 years. can you guys even have such delightful goodies these days?

I am intrigued to see a very muted but distinct call for a restoration of self-defense / weapon natural rights in the UK...

If relocating, I recommend Texas or Arizona... AZ you can get all the toys you want and take them with you most everywhere. :-)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I have absolutely no use for this...

Almost guaranteed I will get one, there is something about this design that speaks to me so I will figure out a good use for it.