Help with Micarta handle repair ideas -- clip pulled out

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SHOOTIST357

Help with Micarta handle repair ideas -- clip pulled out

Post by SHOOTIST357 »

Greetings,
(Mods, please move/modify if necessary)

Looking for some help from the experts -- I found a great deal on an older G-2 with micarta handles -- $5 :) Only problem is the pocket clip was ripped out and it tore the micarta handle. As you can see by the "notch", it was a factory second. I can't find anything wrong with the knife, so maybe the micarta issue was the reason for the second.

any ideas for some kind of repair? with or without the pocket clip makes no difference. I was thinking of a 2 part black epoxy resin. not sure of the "process" for the repair, but we'll figure something out.

Thanks in advance for all replies/suggestions.

SHOOT
SpydyLover123

Re: Help with Micarta handle repair ideas -- clip pulled out

Post by SpydyLover123 »

You can use progressively incresing sand paper grits, to sand it out.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The problem I see with using anything that is liquid is how to keep it going through the clip screws into the pivot.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I kind of agree with rycen. If I wanted to put a clip on it, I'd set it up for tip up carry, plug the holes at the pivot end, and use epoxy to fill in the chewed up spot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:I kind of agree with rycen. If I wanted to put a clip on it, I'd set it up for tip up carry, plug the holes at the pivot end, and use epoxy to fill in the chewed up spot.
Another thing to try would be to "plug" the three holes by inserting three screws of appropriate size (I'll assume approximately 2-56 threads) into the existing holes until they are approximately 1/8" deep into the handle scale. You can then sand/grind/file the screws down until they are just barely flush with the scale itself. I would then grind up a piece of plain black linen Micarta until you get a nice little pile of dust. You can then use the Micarta dust along with some epoxy or super glue to create a patching compound to place in the torn out area. After it sets up, you can sand the "compound" and three slightly exposed screws until they are all flush with the pivot and scale. This method will help inhibit epoxy or glue from getting to your pivot, as rycen mentioned. FFIW, I've done a similar repair on a Micarta-handled knife and it actually turned out pretty nicely.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

You have to be very very careful with the unlined micarta on these Goddards. If you over tighten the clip screws or torque the scales too much, you will make the blade bind in the scales. Because it is pinned, there is no way to adjust it out. I've got two first generation Goddard micartas that are unusable because of warped micarta. Both have been to the SFO spa, and were not able to be repaired.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything more than sanding the scales smooth. And enjoy the knife!

TedP
SHOOTIST357

Post by SHOOTIST357 »

Thanks for all the inputs--It is a nice knife and will be a user for sure. I love my endura's, but this just feels light in the hand for such a big knife. I like the ideas of filling and sanding flush--I'll give it a good wash to ensure the epoxy bond s well and go from there.

I also found this nice original endura clipit in red at the flea market for $1--wonder how many guys walked past it and assumed it was a fake ... tip is slightly off center but that is all I can find to complain about.

Thanks again
SHOOT
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome to the Forum!

That red, gen 1 Endura is an awesome catch at that price!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Welcome to the Forum!

That red, gen 1 Endura is an awesome catch at that price!
Holy cow, you ain't kidding! :D A dollar for a vintage NIB red Endura?! ;) Nicely done.