Official Spyderco Sprig Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Official Spyderco Sprig Discussion Thread

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I just thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread for discussions on the Sprig in one place. Thanks to Wouter (Mr Blonde) for all his hard work :)
Mr Blonde wrote:

Overall Length: 22,5 cm / 8.86 inches
Blade Length: 11 cm / 4.33 inches
Blade Steel: S90V
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Re: Official Spyderco Sprig Discussion Thread

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It certainly is a beautiful knife. Does anyone know the back story of this design? I got the feeling many people knew it was in development but I'm not sure how. I frequent the forum more often than I should and I don't think I came across anything hinting at a new PW/Spyderco design in the works. Is it based off of a custom or something?

Thanks
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm pretty sure the Sprig is based on Phil Wilson's Bird and Trout custom knife. Would be great to get some background info from Spyderco and Phil Wilson about the knife and how the collaboration came about.

It's a beautiful knife and looks like a great slicer. I'm just wondering what the msrp will be on this one.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It has nice, clean lines, and I like the green scales.

Sadly, like the Southfork, I don't have a use for the Sprig. I don't hunt or fish enough to justify a knife for this purpose, and although I camp/backpack/hike a lot, I usually like to pair a folder with a thicker fixed blade for harder work. I can't see the Sprig holding up to anything that a PM2 or Manix couldn't, so for my uses, I can't justify it.

However, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people thrilled with the slicing ability (FFG and thin stock). Kudos to Spyderco for making such a variety of knives. :)
swigert

Post by swigert »

I can't wait to have this for fishing and hunting, I will buy one as soon as they are available...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

This has long been my most anticipated knife and I'm not sure what to think about the prototype?? I'm hoping the actual knife is a bit different than pictured. While it will no doubt be a great and useful tool, and I plan to buy as soon as available, the lines of the knife as pictured, to me differ from those of Phil's B&T. The downward slope of the spine towards the point almost makes the knife look more like a paring knife than Phil's B&T. I am not *****ing or whining, just giving my honest opinion. Often pictures don't give an accurate depiction of the actual item, and with this being a prototype that may be the case here. I still have great expectations that the Sprig will be one of my favorite Spydies. Can't wait to see the real thing.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

This is definitely on the to buy list along with the Gayle Bradley fixed blade and the Endeavor.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It certainly is a beautiful knife. Does anyone know the back story of this design? I got the feeling many people knew it was in development but I'm not sure how. I frequent the forum more often than I should and I don't think I came across anything hinting at a new PW/Spyderco design in the works. Is it based off of a custom or something?

Thanks

It's a Collaboration between Phil Wilson and Spyderco, based on Phil's Bird & Trout. :spyder:
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I may buy 8 and use them as steak knives. What a cool set of steak knives they would be.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tdog wrote:This has long been my most anticipated knife and I'm not sure what to think about the prototype?? I'm hoping the actual knife is a bit different than pictured. While it will no doubt be a great and useful tool, and I plan to buy as soon as available, the lines of the knife as pictured, to me differ from those of Phil's B&T. The downward slope of the spine towards the point almost makes the knife look more like a paring knife than Phil's B&T.
I know what you mean, was a bit surprised by the different look myself. Still likely to pick one up, but if I was king, this would be the ticket (based on looks anyway):

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gallery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:spyder:
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Phil's knife designs are like nothing else, and this is no exception.

Congratulations Sal and Phil on a superb collabortion, Spyderco pushing the envelope yet again to bring us something that bit more special.

I will be all over this one like a cheap suit when it hits the shelves in the UK, it would be rude not to

bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Seriously sexy!
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

I have been waiting for this knife, as have many of us.

The blade length looks a little longer than what I had expected and I am hopeful the handle color will be different than the Southfork just to further distinguish between the two. (Personally like the orange pictured above.)

Still, I am very very confident Mr Wilson and Spyderco spent a lot of time getting it right.

I will be buying three as soon as they becomes available. One for me and one for each of my sons.