So what's your favorite steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: So what's your favorite steel?

Post by bdblue »

I have a lot of good steels in various Spyderco models- M4, M390, S90V, S110V, Cruwear. M4 is the one that I use the most and I'm most excited about using. The M4 is in a Manix 2 and I also have the Cruwear Manix 2. It could be that Cruwear is more suited to my use but I can't give up the M4 version.

I haven't used the others enough to really figure them out. For my EDC use I could probably do just fine with S30V, but I like the thought of the others.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

It depends on the task for me. All around usage, I have to say VG10. S30v comes in second in that same regard. M4 is my favorite at the moment. It sliced like a laser and keeps an edge for a long time. Finally, 204p. Good for heavy duty use.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

PMBohol wrote:It depends on the task for me. All around usage, I have to say VG10. S30v comes in second in that same regard. M4 is my favorite at the moment. It sliced like a laser and keeps an edge for a long time. Finally, 204p. Good for heavy duty use.
I have to agree here. Overall general use most people would benefit from vg10/s30v. M4 is a wonderful steel but is non stainless and I believe m390/204p/20cv does a wonderful job at bridging the gap between stainless/non stainless performance. CTS-204p is currently my absolute favorite steel :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Helios wrote:Serrated h1 has been superb.
Good point you make there "Helios". I also love my serrated H-1 blades and have used them a lot on rough stuff too. It's funny that I find a lot of my favorite steels for serrated edges in many cases are not necessarily good steels for plain edges.

For instance I've had great luck also with AUS-8, 440V and ATS-55 for Spyderedged serrations>> whereas I've never really put any of them at the top of the charts for plain edges. I do now believe that serrated edges need more toughness properties than they do the high density of carbides to perform well IMO.

I've yet to use XHP, M-4 or S35V for Spyderedges but I am anxious to try them some day in Spyderedge. The Native 5 in S35V in Spyderedge is probably going to be my next Spyderedged model and I'll let you all know then what I think of it for serrated performance.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

So far PSF27 followed by Elmax but I finally got some Vanadis 4 Extra which I think will take the top spot. Low toughness, low strength, super high carbide steels have generally been a let down for me.

ETA more than a year later:
Fast forward, I've changed and believe the V4E/4V/M4 class is probably my all around favorite. Still like PSF27 and Elmax but they've dropped down just a hair for steels like 10V and M390 among others for different reasons.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I wonder what steel Sal likes the most.
MCM

Post by MCM »

S90v & M390 are my favorites. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cruwear family ( including 3V)
CPM M4
O-1
Super Blue
S90V/S110V and CPM 154
Plutossun

Post by Plutossun »

A D2 for EDC if it is done right. D2 is a tool steel that can be (cold) tempered to between 54-64 HRC. For knives you can usually count on an HRC of about 50-60. S30V is an excellent steel however it remains at the lower end of the premiums. A big step up from SV30 is CPM S35VN (the "C" of course denoting Crucible Industries and the PM standing for powdered metal). They achieved the S35VN by substituting niobium carbides for some of the vanadium carbides which makes CPM S35VN about 15-20% tougher than CPM S30V without any loss of wear resistance. CPM S35VN’s improved toughness gives it better resistance to edge chipping. Because both vanadium and niobium carbides are harder and more effective than chromium carbides in providing wear resistance, the CPM stainless blade steels offer improved edge retention over conventional high chromium steels such as 440C and D2.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Top 5 in order:

H1
TiNi coated S30V
VG10
ZDP189
CPMD2

Also enjoying my CTS204P Military so far, but haven't spent enough time with it to really get a feel for the steel. Sharpens up nicely though.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Welcome to the forums, Plutossun!
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

M4 was it and I'm still pretty fond of it but Maxamet is quickly becaming my favorite. I hope there will be more offerings in it.
attila

Post by attila »

Z-wear is my favorite so far, so I can safely say I like CPM Cruwear.

I like CPM 4V and HAP40, which are just about in the same ballpark as CPM M4, so I dare say that I like CPM M4.

I just got my first ZDP-189 the other day and have been quite smitten by its performance so far.

I eagerly look forward to getting some S110V and especially M390/204p/20CV.

Lastly, I'm playing with O1 and 52100 these days from forging, and they are a nice, tough alternative to the crazy carbide-volume steels. Simple to sharpen and patina nicely in use.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

M390 is a beast. I need to get it in a Spyderco model soon.

But I also really appreciate VG-10. Its so remarkably ease to touch up that I don't think twice about beating it up.
~Andrew
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Bodog wrote:I wonder what steel Sal likes the most.
The cheapest stuff he can get his hands on. You'd all settle for tool steel as long as Sal makes it for you.
Last edited by zeroed4x on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

zeroed4x wrote:
The cheapest stuff he can get his hands on. You'd all settle for tool steel as long as Sal make it for you.
I'm sure he probably gets steel for a price that makes sense to him and his company. A lot (most) of the steels Spyderco uses are definitely not cheap. I don't agree with some steels used in some platforms but that doesn't mean that Sal buys junk. I don't know if you were joking or not.
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Bodog wrote:
zeroed4x wrote:
The cheapest stuff he can get his hands on. You'd all settle for tool steel as long as Sal make it for you.
I'm sure he probably gets steel for a price that makes sense to him and his company. A lot (most) of the steels Spyderco uses are definitely not cheap. I don't agree with some steels used in some platforms but that doesn't mean that Sal buys junk. I don't know if you were joking or not.
Well yes, its a business. You have to cut corners, make exceptions and get everything as cheap as you can to make a profit these days. Yes the only joke was regarding the guys who worship the tool steel. I'll admit, I like tool steel, I don't love it but I like it.
mjl

Post by mjl »

PWork wrote:
Stuart Ackerman wrote:VG10 / N690...

I don't have a lot of experience with N690Co...yet. But from what I've seen so far, it's a top notch performer.
The N690Co is well respected in Europe. Personally I favor the N690Co over the VG-10.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

zeroed4x wrote:
Bodog wrote:
zeroed4x wrote:
Well yes, its a business. You have to cut corners, make exceptions and get everything as cheap as you can to make a profit these days. Yes the only joke was regarding the guys who worship the tool steel. I'll admit, I like tool steel, I don't love it but I like it.
Hi Zeroed, I have to admit that you lost me with this one. Since you are talking specifically about steel, I would ask if you implying that Spyderco uses poor quality steel in their knives or that they purchase their steel for the lowest price possible? If the former then could you tell me which production company is consistently using "better" steels? If the latter, then could you tell me what you find odd about a production company procuring the best price possible for their raw materials? And what about that formula makes "these days" different from 10, 100 or 1000 years ago? Or maybe I just completely missed the point of your post.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Surfingringo wrote:
zeroed4x wrote:
Bodog wrote:
zeroed4x wrote:
Hi Zeroed, I have to admit that you lost me with this one. Since you are talking specifically about steel, I would ask if you implying that Spyderco uses poor quality steel in their knives or that they purchase their steel for the lowest price possible? If the former then could you tell me which production company is consistently using "better" steels? If the latter, then could you tell me what you find odd about a production company procuring the best price possible for their raw materials? And what about that formula makes "these days" different from 10, 100 or 1000 years ago? Or maybe I just completely missed the point of your post.

I think he's saying Spyderco is cutting a bunch of corners and using cheap steel which I don't understand either. Had this dude ever priced cruwear, S110V, 4V, or maxamet? LC200N has a counterpart, Cronidur 30, which is found in some fairly cheap knives. I have no idea if the quality of LC200N is better than Cronidur 30. And I think PD1 is cheaper than Cruwear for us normal people but I'm sure Sal gets a better deal on Cruwear than PD1.

If he's talking about cutting corners on some other things, well, yeah, I guess. If no corners were cut all of these knives would cost $500 and up. At some point you have to accept cheaper materials and fit and finish. As long as the end price is in line with what the market will bear I don't see how that's different than any other business. Sure. There are sometimes engineering snafus but that happens with any kind of product.

I think I get what the guy is saying but I don't see why he's saying it with any kind of animosity. Isn't it the same guy who railed against flat grinds vs hollow because he wanted aesthetics over function for his collectable knives? I could be mis-remembering.