Would spyderco ever have a fake factory second in their store?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pyr0_man

Would spyderco ever have a fake factory second in their store?

Post by pyr0_man »

So I was at the sale last year, decided to grab a para 2, ended up selling since I had planned on carrying it, but went with another knife instead. Guy I sold it to claimed its a fake and that the blade had play. Now I examined that knife before I bought it, then examined it again when I got home. There was no blade play, and the knife looked genuine. Interestingly, he also claims its not "real" cpm s30v steel. I have the pictures, and its clearly marked as cpm s30v and as far as I know, you cant just look at a steel and say its not real.

Here's a couple pictures of the blade:
Attachments
$_57.jpg
$_57 (1).jpg
tvenuto

Re: Would spyderco ever have a fake factory second in their store?

Post by tvenuto »

Well the answer to your initial question is no. I actually can't imagine a knife that's less likely to be fake than a second bought at the seconds sale.

First, you bought it from the SFO in person.
Second, why would a counterfeiter mark the blade as a second, thus reducing its value?

You are correct in stating that one can not look at a piece of steel and determine its composition. Also, as long as you let him know it was a second I'm not sure what cause he would have to complain, unless there was a defect that he specifically asked about and you said was not there.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sounds like buyers remorse to me!! He is looking for you to refund his money with no merit to stand on!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd actually be more concerned with someone selling you back the fake and keeping the real one for himself.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:I'd actually be more concerned with someone selling you back the fake and keeping the real one for himself.
I initially thought about this too, but then he'd have to add the seconds notch. Just seems like too much work, but you never know with some people.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you bought it direct from the SFO then I would find it hard to believe that it is fake. There are all types of people in the world and unfortunately when selling stuff sometimes you run into some difficult people. I would tell him you bought it direct from the SFO so tough luck. Maybe you are nicer than me and will take it back.

On a side note, this is a reason I wouldn't flip seconds.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Spyderco Factory Outlet would never sell a fake knife, factory second or otherwise. On the other hand, I'm not seeing a "seconds" notch in the blade of the knife in your photographs, so I severely doubt it's a Spyderco factory second since that has always been Spyderco's method of marking them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

bearfacedkiller wrote:On a side note, this is a reason I wouldn't flip seconds.
This is the main reason that I don't sell my knives, period.

I'd tell the buyer to pound sand.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Absolutely Not...as long as you were up front about it being a factory second tell the buyer he's out of luck.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

yablanowitz wrote:

^-- This.

Then again, he could have those new "Real Spyderco CPM-S30v test strips" they sell on Amazon. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Deacon wrote:The Spyderco Factory Outlet would never sell a fake knife, factory second or otherwise. On the other hand, I'm not seeing a "seconds" notch in the blade of the knife in your photographs, so I severely doubt it's a Spyderco factory second since that has always been Spyderco's method of marking them.
I didn't click on the pics at first but I cannot see the notch either. Sometimes it can be hard to see but I think that with a coated blade we should be able to see it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
swigert

Post by swigert »

The Deacon wrote:The Spyderco Factory Outlet would never sell a fake knife, factory second or otherwise. On the other hand, I'm not seeing a "seconds" notch in the blade of the knife in your photographs, so I severely doubt it's a Spyderco factory second since that has always been Spyderco's method of marking them.

Also this. OP where is the notch?
pyr0_man

Post by pyr0_man »

swigert wrote:

Also this. OP where is the notch?
It's there. Just because of the lighting and the wooden background, its hard to see. I had to use a cell camera to take the photo. My other factory seconds all have the notches.
pyr0_man

Post by pyr0_man »

It's there. Just because of the poor lighting choice and camera (my old cell phone after my new phone camera broke) it doesn't show well. I actually have a native black blade that's a factory second as well. When I examine it, if I didn't know the notch was there, I'd probably miss it. Whoever put the grind there didn't hold it for very long because it's almost invisible, which makes it nicer to look at for me :)
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Blerv wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

^-- This.

Then again, he could have those new "Real Spyderco CPM-S30v test strips" they sell on Amazon. :)
I have only seen these for VG-10. Do you have a link for the S30V version? ;)

JD
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The last batch of knives I sold on eBay included a G10 Dragonfly (just didn't do it for me). The buyer contacted me and said he received it but it had scratches in the blade. I had clear photos showing otherwise so I asked for a photo of the issue. He sent back blurry pics and demanded a partial refund. He threatened to open a dispute.

Eventually he actually opened a dispute with eBay. I expected I would lose (they always side with buyers) but to my surprise they closed the dispute after he failed to follow thru on something.

My take away from this is there are jerks out there that buy things and then sucker the seller into a discount after the fact. Don't be intimidated, never be afraid to tell someone to take a hike on the internet.
pyr0_man

Post by pyr0_man »

zhyla wrote:The last batch of knives I sold on eBay included a G10 Dragonfly (just didn't do it for me). The buyer contacted me and said he received it but it had scratches in the blade. I had clear photos showing otherwise so I asked for a photo of the issue. He sent back blurry pics and demanded a partial refund. He threatened to open a dispute.

Eventually he actually opened a dispute with eBay. I expected I would lose (they always side with buyers) but to my surprise they closed the dispute after he failed to follow thru on something.

My take away from this is there are jerks out there that buy things and then sucker the seller into a discount after the fact. Don't be intimidated, never be afraid to tell someone to take a hike on the internet.
Well, I trust spyderco more than some random dude on the internet, but what gets me is his claim that the steel isn't "real" cpm s30v. Last time I checked, you can't tell anything specific about a steel without some sort of basis. The only way you could possibly find that out would mean either the knife was fake and somehow was sold in the store, OR the buyer did something and somehow broke the blade, which itself violates ebay return policy
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

yablanowitz wrote:

+1
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So what we've learned:

1. Any Spyderco bought at the SFO is real.
2. Selling knives over the internet potentially exposes you to jerks who may seek to take advantage of your desire to be an honorable seller.
3. One should not suffer the complaints of such jerks when they are erroneous, farcical, outright lies, or otherwise unreasonable.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:So what we've learned:

1. Any Spyderco bought at the SFO is real.
2. Selling knives anything over the internet potentially exposes you to jerks who may seek to take advantage of your desire to be an honorable seller.
3. One should not suffer the complaints of such jerks when they are erroneous, farcical, outright lies, or otherwise unreasonable.
Minor correction for accuracy ;)