Kahr Arms Delica.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Kahr Arms Delica.

Post by elena86 »

tvenuto wrote:Yes, it doesn't have any jimping which is puzzling. The Delica jimping is pretty perfect: just enough to be there, but not irritating at all. I'm actually surprised how much I like the Kahr Delica, but I still do miss the jimping and see no benefit to removing it. In any SD scenario I would think secure handling would be paramount. Yes, even in a slash cut, you push your thumb into the thumb ramp, and with no jimping it slides up. It doesn't have the shape of the Yo2 to keep the thumb from sliding.
AFAIK Kahr Delica is designed to be used in the filipino grip in SD slicing motion, with the thumb presing the spine of the blade, so no need for jimping .It was designed for SD not for EDC so we have to respect the intention behind the design.I have great respect for Mr.Janich and I hope I did not missunderstood his design.
Last edited by elena86 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I bobbed a FFG for a female friend to carry.

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

elena86 wrote:AFAIK Kahr Delica is designed to be used in the filipino grip in SD slicing motion, with the thumb presing the spine of the blade, so no need for jimping .It was designed for SD not for EDC so we have to respect the intention behind the design.I have great respect for Mr.Janich and I hope I din not misunderstood has design.
As do I, but I would argue that if what you say is true, there's no harm in the jimping being there if you're not going to touch it anyway.

I'm sure no one is living under the illusion that the vast majority of the ones bought are being used for dedicated SD, not general utility purposes, much like the Yo2. The popularity of the Yo2 stems largely from its utility as an EDC, and I think the lack of jimping lowers such utility on the Delica. So, for me, that's a misstep. Actually, even the Yo2 has some jimping! I understand and respect the reasons for its absence, just voicing my preference.

And again, I was surprised how much I ended up liking this model. Normally I want as much blade as the handle allows. But the finishing details are phenomenal and you don't lose so much edge you notice. The jimping is my only gripe and I'm very glad I picked one up.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tvenuto wrote:As do I, but I would argue that if what you say is true, there's no harm in the jimping being there if you're not going to touch it anyway.

I'm sure no one is living under the illusion that the vast majority of the ones bought are being used for dedicated SD, not general utility purposes, much like the Yo2. The popularity of the Yo2 stems largely from its utility as an EDC, and I think the lack of jimping lowers such utility on the Delica. So, for me, that's a misstep. Actually, even the Yo2 has some jimping! I understand and respect the reasons for its absence, just voicing my preference.

And again, I was surprised how much I ended up liking this model. Normally I want as much blade as the handle allows. But the finishing details are phenomenal and you don't lose so much edge you notice. The jimping is my only gripe and I'm very glad I picked one up.
Here's the way I see it. Nothing works for everyone. The Kahr Arms Delica is no exception.

if someone likes everything about it except the lack of jimping, they can always find someone to bob the blade of a stock saber grind Delica. Ditto if they feel FFG is superior prefer to saber grind and can live with both FFG and jimping. Some will decide they can live with the Kahr when they figure out what those mods would cost. Others will have the talent to make the mods themselves. Still others will be willing to pay the "my way tax" and have them done. A few will feel entitled to pout because Spyderco did not make it exactly the way they want it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for your discussion and enthusiasm for the Kahr Delica. With regard to the jimping, here's the deal: When you hand someone a knife with jimping on the thumb ramp, they immediately assume that's where they should put their thumb. In the case of the Delica and Endura, that prompts the user to draw the thumb back into what's often referred to as a saber grip. This braces the thumb solidly against an abrasive surface and, in the process, causes your grip to "open" significantly so there's less skin on the handle. From a utility standpoint, this kind of grip offers great dexterity and control. However, as a combative grip, it sets you up for potential injury when used with thrusting tactics.

To understand this clearly, take a Delica TRAINER, which also has jimping, brace your thumb on the jimped area, and thrust lightly into a solid surface. Gradually increase the power of your thrusts and you'll quickly find that the jimping acts like a cheese grater on your thumb. Conversely, grip the handle by focusing on the last three fingers of your hand, maximizing the surface area in contact with the handle and ensuring that the impact shock is transferred to the meaty portion of your palm. Let the thumb slide forward on the back of the blade or curl it down into a natural hammer grip. Either one will put more skin on the handle, providing a more secure grip and better impact-shock management. Now thrust again. No cheese grater, no mangled thumb, and much more powerful thrusts.

Good gunsmiths specialize in "dehorning" concealed carry handguns--breaking all the sharp corners so you can manipulate the gun aggressively without chewing up your hands. Since the Kahr knives were a gun "parallel" and self-defense oriented, the lack of jimping should resonate with the intended target audience. Removing it helps remove the temptation to grip the knife in a way that is combatively risky (at least in my opinion).

If you're a die-hard jimping fan, thankfully there are plenty of other Delicas to choose from.

Stay safe,

Mike
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A very well-thought and informative explanation on the Kahr Delica, Mike. Do you know if Spyderco would consider opening this design to their regular production? I've been heavily toying with buying a Kahr Delica for most of the summer. :o I should probably get one before they're all gone.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Reg Prodo Jandura please!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Michael's argument makes sense from a defensive use standpoint. Also, it all depends on the type jimping. The finer the jimping the worse it would be for defensive purposes. That's why I personally prefer the broader jimping like on the Hinderer XM-18.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The denim blue one, which is what I want, is tough find right now at a reasonable price. Waiting for more dealers to get in them in stock.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RamZar wrote:The denim blue one, which is what I want, is tough find right now at a reasonable price. Waiting for more dealers to get in them in stock.

Brother I am not sure they are making a bunch more of these, better grab what you can find
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

twinboysdad wrote: Brother I am not sure they are making a bunch more of these, better grab what you can find
I thought a new batch was being manufactured?!

They showed up on the Spyderco New Products page just a few days ago but they've been around for months before that.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Michael Janich wrote:...Good gunsmiths specialize in "dehorning" concealed carry handguns--breaking all the sharp corners so you can manipulate the gun aggressively without chewing up your hands. Since the Kahr knives were a gun "parallel" and self-defense oriented, the lack of jimping should resonate with the intended target audience. Removing it helps remove the temptation to grip the knife in a way that is combatively risky (at least in my opinion)...
Stay safe,

Mike
Can I get an Amen! This is why Spyderco designs work so well, they are designed to fit your hand. One model or another will usually work without resorting to medieval points, sandpaper textures or other torturous surfaces. Even smooth carbon fiber scales work great on the right design. They are also a lot easier on pockets when carried. If you doubt this, take a look at popular fixed blade designs.

I will say there is a difference between a knife used for cutting tasks and one designed for a defensive role. To master the latter would require serious training with that knife, or a trainer of the same design, making grip design all the more critical.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

The other advantage of the Kahr Arms Delica is that it's 2.5" blade length makes it legal in most major cities (can't speak for NYC through.) It's what I carry when heading into Boston, especially during the summer when a lighter knife is more preferable.

Regards,
Ira
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

iwolf81 wrote:The other advantage of the Kahr Arms Delica is that it's 2.5" blade length makes it legal in most major cities (can't speak for NYC through.) It's what I carry when heading into Boston, especially during the summer when a lighter knife is more preferable.

Regards,
Ira
One reason I purchased one for travel.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

IndianaSpider wrote:nice carry gun, its good to see that there other folks on this forum who like guns
Yes, yes it is. :-)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

gbelleh wrote:
jtoler_9 wrote:I think it's typical of Kahr. Less rounds in a standard size package. Shorter blade in a standard size handle. Sounds about right, stay consistent with the brand.
I haven't noticed Kahrs holding any less rounds than any other single stack pistol of equal size. But I know the Kahr PM9 conceals its 7 rounds better than just about any other 9mm I've ever tried, aside from the Robrbaugh. I've been EDCing a Kahr for over 10 years, so I had to get the Kahr Delica! :D
@gbelleh nice photo!

Indeed, the PM9 was impressive back in '06 and amazingly remains quite impressive today, a decade later.

It's a 9mm literally the size of the brand new Glock 42 (.380) - actually slightly shorter than the G42.

Have you seen the new Kahr P380 / CW380? Kahr quality .380 in the size of a Ruger LCP, introduced ~2009? Quite a bit smaller than the PM9.

Dan

P.S. The Kahr PM9 pairs nicely the Pacific Salt as well...

And of course with the Military...

Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes, I used to own a Kahr P380.

It was very nice, but I ended up selling it once I got the Seecamp .380, which fits my needs a little better.

The Seecamp is amazingly tiny. Smaller than most .25s.

:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

This version of the Delica makes a good pair with the Janich Endura. ;) :spyder:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=47922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love the clip on these. Strange because I do not like bead blasted blades but this clip is nice. I have handled them in person and it is perfect. Can we get just these clips from the SFO? I am gonna have to ask next time I am in there.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I love the clip on these. Strange because I do not like bead blasted blades but this clip is nice. I have handled them in person and it is perfect. Can we get just these clips from the SFO? I am gonna have to ask next time I am in there.
Way ahead of you, my friend. I called and they do not stock them. It's always possible you get a different answer in person, but I was prepared to buy 4 or 5 of these awesomely finished clips (def would have slapped one on my nishijin R).