Seki-City Liner Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Seki-City Liner Lock?

Post by Donut »

What do you all think of a medium priced, Seki-City based liner lock?

Every time someone is looking for a $50-ish knife, it seems like we are stuck suggesting a back lock with the Endura/Delica. It seems like we are missing a basic, liner lock knife, with VG-10. It would be nice to have a liner lock with VG-10. It seems like Seki-City isn't so familiar with producing Liner Locks. (Check out the threads on the Sprints.)

I mean, after all is said and done, maybe we'll be looking at a $70 liner lock knife. If it starts with G-10, maybe we're looking at $100.

Am I crazy for thinking a liner lock that costs less than $120 would be a nice option in the catalog?

Now... it's possible that the final production price wouldn't be cheap or even cheaper than $120 since the Starmate run was so expensive. I'm not sure what made that model expensive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Re: Seki-City Liner Lock?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice idea, maybe some framelocks as well in RVS instead of Titanium?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, not many liner lock choices in that price range. The closest thing is probably the Double Bevel for a VG-10 liner lock that can be found for $120. The Cat might be a good choice in that price range too, though not Japanese or VG-10.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would be nice to see something akin to the Walker Lightweight re-introduced with a barrel or wire clip.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: It seems like Seki-City isn't so familiar with producing Liner Locks.
Sal commented on several occasions that Spyderco's Japanese contractors are excel at mid-locks, still there were quite a few liner-lock models produced over there: Vieles, Khalsa, Shabaria, double-bevel, Walkers, Starmate and few others. I think that it will be difficult to get into your desirable price range.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: Every time someone is looking for a $50-ish knife, it seems like we are stuck suggesting a back lock with the Endura/Delica.
Not me. I always suggesting Centofante3 :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

What about the newer Byrds with US steel?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'm sorry if this seems obvious, but the Ambitious/Persistence/Tenacious/Resilience line uses linerlocks, and they sell for ~$35. Granted, they do not use VG-10, but it isn't like there are no budget linerlocks at all. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote:It would be nice to see something akin to the Walker Lightweight re-introduced with a barrel or wire clip.
Yes, this needs to happen! :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

tvenuto wrote:What about the newer Byrds with US steel?
I might buy one of these as a beater in the future. I really wish they would just give them round holes and add them to the Spyderco brand like they did with the Tenacious line; there are so many good models in the Byrd which are held back by the crow's beak hole (and overall quality).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I do like that idea and I NEED to try the one from the Amsterdam meet. A lot of people, when they ask for a suggestions, and you suggest to them a China made knife, they will take your suggestion less serious.

The Walker is a great suggestion. Some people don't like the ergo's of the Carbon Fiber sprint. I can deal with the ergos.

The Cat/Chicago are good points. I'm not sure how the sales figures worked for those. Frame locks are good, too.

Wasn't there an Italy made Liner Lock with N690Co made? (Or is that the PITS?)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

kennethsime wrote:
I might buy one of these as a beater in the future. I really wish they would just give them round holes and add them to the Spyderco brand like they did with the Tenacious line; there are so many good models in the Byrd which are held back by the crow's beak hole (and overall quality).
Now this is all 100% speculation on my part, but given the attitudes of intellectual property in China, I believe the Byrd line is Spyderco's method of "quarantining" Chinese designs. As the Byrd line is already a "value" line, there probably isn't much extra margin to squeeze out of them by "selling them out the back door" so to speak. Even if that does happen, or the design/dimensions/tooling is given to an even cheaper maker on the sly, at least the core Spyderco brand is unaffected. I have the feeling that if they were less popular, Spyderco would discontinue the Spyderco Value Line (tenacious, etc), and produce only Byrds in China.

I think you'll see a trend, which I feel to be a positive one, of increasing quality and cost out of the high end producers in Golden and Taichung as they push their capabilities even higher. I think there will be a continual push to make popular designs into FRN high-performance "Lightweights" (native/manix). And finally I think you'll see the new releases of non-FRN "value" knives come from Byrd.

I have a similar apprehension of buying a Byrd, since I feel Spyderco knives offer plenty of value already. Also, I'm a bit married to the round hole like you. However, I handled several Byrds at the Amsterdam Meet that had me questioning that philosophy. Not only were they very high quality, but the Byrd style opening hole actually feels very similar to the familiar one we all love.

Post by 1623 »

Donut, I'm completely with you on this one, as I prefer liner locks and love VG10.

Do you think the upcoming Lil' Lum will hit this mark?
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:Wasn't there an Italy made Liner Lock with N690Co made? (Or is that the PITS?)
This is the list that Spyderco presents when you put in N690Co. All current production models are slip joints. The Volpe was the only locking folder, and the Hossom line were the fixed blades.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Seki-City, Japan made knives cost more, that is a fact. VG10 is pretty expensive as well. I don't know if anything can be done about it.
I have at least five Seki made liner locks. They are decent knives, but....................... now my rant:

I don't plan to buy another G Shaki made liner lock.
1. they fit uneven thickness washers on the pivot(as in.020" thick one side and .005" on the other) This looks "off" to me.
2. they use plastic washers one side and PB washers on the other.(I'm a bit OCD with this)

It appears they don't "balance" the washers because they don't mill a "bed" into the scale for the lock lug to fall in when the blade opens. I assume is cost cutting measure.

I'll get my liner locks from Tichung or Golden. Call me picky. :(
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I would love to see a Mini Starmate!

Been loving this folder and carrying a LOT recently:
Going back to Caly.