Researching older Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pauledst

Researching older Spyderco knives

Post by pauledst »

I have accumulated several older Spydercos that I am attempting to accurately identify. These are mainly in the smaller solid color boxes (black, red and blue). When I picked them up I was new to knife collecting and assumed the box contained what the label said! That is quite often not true.....

Case in point: Black box, label says C29S Clipit "Cricket" Right Hand SpyderEdge,
The knife is in fact a Cricket but it is a plain edge. In addition it doesn't seem to match any single entry on the spydiewiki web site. The scales are anodized aluminum very dark grey ( black?) in color, blade material is ATS55 and the weight is 2 oz (not a smidgen less). If I'm reading the data correctly the weight limits it to the C29ATU.

Am I missing anything?
The Deacon

Re: Researching older Spyderco knives

Post by The Deacon »

The C29S box obviously doesn't belong to a plain edge aluminum Cricket. FWIW, according to Spyderco price lists from that era, the correct box would read C29P. As for the blade steel, despite the lack of info regarding it on Spydiewiki, or in any Spyderco catalog, I can attest to there being ATS-55 aluminum Crickets.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rycen

Post by rycen »

Your guess is correct. What happens is over time some dealers don't pay attention to the specifics of the label. Sellers just read the model number/name so things tend to get mixed up.
christopher

Post by christopher »

Use the Spyderco catalog online in the first page. You can find any knife, current or discontinued, in that as well as pictures and measurements of the knife in question. Another great resource provided to us by the wonderful management.
Good luck!!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

christopher wrote:Use the Spyderco catalog online in the first page. You can find any knife, current or discontinued, in that as well as pictures and measurements of the knife in question. Another great resource provided to us by the wonderful management.
Good luck!!
Not entirely correct. While the Spyderco online catalog does have many current and discontinued knives, it doesn't have the earliest examples. It only has the models that were in production since the site went live, so sometime in the late 90's or early 00's.

On top of that, there are many Japanese market variations that were never sold in the US, so never had a presence in the catalog (print or online).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Yes, boxes get mixed up. Like magazines for old bolt guns in gun shops. Dealers kept them behind the counter to prevent theft. A magazine is a magazine right? (NO!)

I use spydercosource for some older models.
Always looking for the right one :)
christopher

Post by christopher »

I stand corrected. I've only looked up recent knives lately. Here's a list, with pictures, of most of the rest. Not including Japanese or Chinese.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/models/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look.
christopher

Post by christopher »

stand corrected once again. The catalog of knives only goes to knives introduced up to 2010. Model C143 is the last entry.

Old age will get you.